Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Walking the Milford Track, NZ, article

Walking the Milford Track, NZ, article

Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Walking the Milford Track, NZ, article

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...789668892.html

OzTennis
Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Walking the Milford Track, NZ, article

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Good on her for doing the walk...
I thought the scenery just great from the passenger seat of the hire car!

my dear son has been assigned a gap project in the South Island NZ. starting January. Wonder what "extreme sports" antics he'll get up to!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
Good on her for doing the walk...
I thought the scenery just great from the passenger seat of the hire car!

my dear son has been assigned a gap project in the South Island NZ. starting January. Wonder what "extreme sports" antics he'll get up to!
Yep, looks a great walk doesn't it and well done Mum. If your son is headed for Queenstown he won't have much else to do but bungee jump, drive a speedboat through the gorges at high speed, mountain climb and so on. (I wonder if kids in Queenstown stand on street corners and say 'I'm bored'??)

OzTennis
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, looks a great walk doesn't it and well done Mum. If your son is headed for Queenstown he won't have much else to do but bungee jump, drive a speedboat through the gorges at high speed, mountain climb and so on. (I wonder if kids in Queenstown stand on street corners and say 'I'm bored'??)

OzTennis
The schools he will be based in are in Dunedin and Invercargill.
No doubt he'll go to Queenstown - we tried the speed boat a few yrs ago and I asked the company if they ever had accidents, they replied no not in our 15 yr history...so off we went....the very next boat that went out flipped over, people ended up in hospital! That was a close call :scared:
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The schools he will be based in are in Dunedin and Invercargill.
No doubt he'll go to Queenstown - we tried the speed boat a few yrs ago and I asked the company if they ever had accidents, they replied no not in our 15 yr history...so off we went....the very next boat that went out flipped over, people ended up in hospital! That was a close call :scared:
Interesting experience!! I haven't been to the south island (yet) but will do so one day. DunEDIN you will no doubt know has strong Scots, EDINburgh connections (Edwin's burgh and all that - I think). Sounds like a terrific time coming up for your son.

OzTennis
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:26 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting experience!! I haven't been to the south island (yet) but will do so one day. DunEDIN you will no doubt know has strong Scots, EDINburgh connections (Edwin's burgh and all that - I think). Sounds like a terrific time coming up for your son.

OzTennis
Dunedin is full of totty (if your son's interested), 20,000 students at the university. (Queenstown is also heaving.) Lots of pubs and bars, the most we saw in NZ in a concentrated area. Old home of Speights brewery and a few places with good beer. Lots of beaches in easy reach, some excellent ones right in city.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Don
Dunedin is full of totty (if your son's interested), 20,000 students at the university. (Queenstown is also heaving.) Lots of pubs and bars, the most we saw in NZ in a concentrated area. Old home of Speights brewery and a few places with good beer. Lots of beaches in easy reach, some excellent ones right in city.
I'm not sure Mum wanted to hear about this - perhaps one of the extreme sports to worry about! In one of Michael Palin's programs he visited Dunedin Uni (I think) and took part in a 'fresher' week initiation ceremony.

OzTennis
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not sure Mum wanted to hear about this - perhaps one of the extreme sports to worry about! In one of Michael Palin's programs he visited Dunedin Uni (I think) and took part in a 'fresher' week initiation ceremony.

OzTennis
Thanks Don for the info - son is sitting here lapping up the news ,Keep those tips coming Don

Its ok OT he's over 18 what can I do? I try to mother not smother
Can't wait for him to go and explore the big wide world- He's 6ft and can take care of himself!
H.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:44 pm
Don
Banned

Thanks Don for the info - son is sitting here lapping up the news ,Keep those tips coming Don

Its ok OT he's over 18 what can I do? I try to mother not smother
Can't wait for him to go and explore the big wide world- He's 6ft and can take care of himself!
H.
Good idea to do the big 5 on the Otago Peninsula : Royal Albatross, fur seal, sea lion, yellow eyed penguin, little or blue penguin (fairy for Aussies).
Old Sep 17th 2004, 2:58 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

He should pick up a good second hand mountain bike and do some rides around the hills, harbour and coastline that Dunedin has plenty of.

Also get down to watch the rugby at the 'House of Pain', catch some of the local bands, do the Speights Brewery tour (when Don and myself did it there were at least 3 other brits on holiday who did the same tour).

What else?

Do some tramps,
visit Stewart Is (from Invercargill)
ride the Central Otago Rail trail
Old Sep 17th 2004, 5:37 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

OzTennis
Don't they get to do any extreme ironing (now that it's advocated by Sir Steve Redgrave to be a new Olympic Sport)...?

http://www.extremeironing.com/

Anya.
Old Sep 17th 2004, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Don't they get to do any extreme ironing (now that it's advocated by Sir Steve Redgrave to be a new Olympic Sport)...?

http://www.extremeironing.com/

Anya.
good one Anya- he's getting in practice as I type - I don't do his ironing!
Old Sep 17th 2004, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by southerner
He should pick up a good second hand mountain bike and do some rides around the hills, harbour and coastline that Dunedin has plenty of.

Also get down to watch the rugby at the 'House of Pain', catch some of the local bands, do the Speights Brewery tour (when Don and myself did it there were at least 3 other brits on holiday who did the same tour).

What else?

Do some tramps,
visit Stewart Is (from Invercargill)
ride the Central Otago Rail trail
thanks Southerner- will pass this onto gap son.
- he'll be with a group of other "gappers" so I'm sure they'll find their way to the brewery!
Old Sep 17th 2004, 7:37 am
Don
Banned

Exclamation Re: Walking the Milford Track, NZ, article

thanks Southerner- will pass this onto gap son.
- he'll be with a group of other "gappers" so I'm sure they'll find their way to the brewery!
helinuk - you need to clear out your inbox and sent messages (you're full, can't send you a PM any more) but in answer to your question, no I went to AGS but bro and sis went there.
Old Sep 17th 2004, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Don
helinuk - you need to clear out your inbox and sent messages (you're full, can't send you a PM any more) but in answer to your question, no I went to AGS but bro and sis went there.
ok thanks - will do.