Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

From Wales to Brisbane - My experience!!

From Wales to Brisbane - My experience!!

Old Sep 4th 2005, 1:56 am
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice
Default From Wales to Brisbane - My experience!!

Hi!!

I'm Grant, as you've probably already guessed from my username! My plan for this thread is to document my whole migration experience, right from the first thought! I'm not sure how often I can post, as I still have lots to do now I'm here, but please be patient, and I'll do my best to get through it all eventually!! Please feel free to add comments and ask questions, as I hope this will be of use to those who are planing the same move I've made! I think it's only fair I pass on my knowledge, as others did for me to keep me sane when I was stressed out!!
Old Sep 4th 2005, 8:03 am
Account Closed

Vic&jase is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: From Wales to Brisbane - My experience!!

I look forward to reading it Grant Welsh Member.

In case I missed it, how far into your experience are you?and where in Brissy are you heading. Not expecting an answer for a while as I can see you posted this at silly o clock.

(By the way, we are anticipating TRA any day and have the main Ap ready to go if all is well).

Last edited by Vic&jase; Sep 4th 2005 at 8:06 am.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 11:50 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrantP
Hi!!

I'm Grant, as you've probably already guessed from my username! My plan for this thread is to document my whole migration experience, right from the first thought! I'm not sure how often I can post, as I still have lots to do now I'm here, but please be patient, and I'll do my best to get through it all eventually!! Please feel free to add comments and ask questions, as I hope this will be of use to those who are planing the same move I've made! I think it's only fair I pass on my knowledge, as others did for me to keep me sane when I was stressed out!!

Let's be hearing it Grant
Old Sep 4th 2005, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Yeah....We are heading that way...so i am all ears
Old Sep 7th 2005, 10:22 am
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

The initial decision!

First of all, my girlfriend is Australian! We met in the UK, and our first thoughts of emigration came during a holiday to the Sunshine Coast to visit her mother. I thoroughly enjoyed my holiday, and passed comment that I'd love to find a job and move! Jacqui was unsure, as she had moved to the UK to gain work experience. The final decision was made by thinking long term. We both asked ourselves that if we had children, where we want them to grow up??? ...both of us decided we'd rather they grow up in Australia, and so there it was, the decision that was set to change our lives, mine more so, but a change for both of us all the same!
Old Sep 7th 2005, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

The initial decision!

First of all, my girlfriend is Australian! We met in the UK, and our first thoughts of emigration came during a holiday to the Sunshine Coast to visit her mother. I thoroughly enjoyed my holiday, and passed comment that I'd love to find a job and move! Jacqui was unsure, as she had moved to the UK to gain work experience. The final decision was made by thinking long term. We both asked ourselves that if we had children, where we want them to grow up??? ...both of us decided we'd rather they grow up in Australia, and so there it was, the decision that was set to change our lives, mine more so, but a change for both of us all the same!
Hear hear ... have you started your job yet? You gave us some advice and information on engineering companies, if you remember. We are going to be selling up and leaving in the immediate future too, we have two boys, one nearly six and one five months and would like them to grow up with a better lifestyle. Keep us informed, I want to know everything!
Old Sep 7th 2005, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Miked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the rough

Hi Grant, where in Brisbane are you living? We are at New Farm and have been here for nearly a year, it would be nice to meet up with a fellow Welshman for a beer or three sometime.
I lived all around the South of Wales including Bridgend, Cardiff and Port Talbot but ended up living in Bath before we moved out here.

Good luck mate.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

The initial decision!

Virtually the same way we came about the decision(except we already had the child and had split up!)
More info please...How have you coped etc?
Rachel
Old Sep 14th 2005, 11:13 am
Welsh Member!!

Where do we aim for??

This was not such a big decision for us! Jacqui's mother and father are seperated, and have been for some time, so haveing lived with her mother, jac is naturally closer to her than her father. The first Australian holiday we embarked on was to see Jac's mum! I loved the place, and especially the Sunshine Coast, specifically Maroochydore, where Jac's mum lives! Jacqui's father lives down in Melbourne, which is cooler, but has more industry suited to possible job opportunites for me! Evene though this was the case, in my mind there was no contest, I wanted to be on the Sunshine Coast, as far as I was concerned it was paradise!!
Jacqui was not so sure! She wasn't keen to just go back home! Having made the decision to aim for Queensland, I started looking for job opportunities. There were none! The engineering sector is naturally based in the big cities, which meant Brisbane for us! Jacqui was a little more excited by this, and right there and then the another decision was made! We're going to Brisbane!!!
Old Sep 14th 2005, 11:26 am
Welsh Member!!

Originally Posted by Britishaussie
Hear hear ... have you started your job yet? You gave us some advice and information on engineering companies, if you remember. We are going to be selling up and leaving in the immediate future too, we have two boys, one nearly six and one five months and would like them to grow up with a better lifestyle. Keep us informed, I want to know everything!
Hi!
I remember sharing my information with you! ....did it help you at all?? hope so!!
I started my job just over a week ago, and although I was a bit overwhelmed at first, now that I'm in my second week and I have an idea how the office runs, I'm really starting to enjoy it!
I'm sorry I'm so slow at posting, but I've been so busy getting settled, and now that most of the panic is over, and we now have a sofa to sit on, I might be able to post a little more often!! Hopefully you'll get to hear the whole thing in due course!!

Grant

Originally Posted by Miked
Hi Grant, where in Brisbane are you living? We are at New Farm and have been here for nearly a year, it would be nice to meet up with a fellow Welshman for a beer or three sometime.
I lived all around the South of Wales including Bridgend, Cardiff and Port Talbot but ended up living in Bath before we moved out here.
Good luck mate.
Hi Mike!
I'm originally from Wrexham, but I'm now living in Forest Lake! It's about 40 mins south of the CBD. I'd love to meet with you for a beer, but unfortunatley right now I've got just a little too much going on! Once I'm fully settled we'll get something organised if you like?

Grant

Originally Posted by desperate2go
Virtually the same way we came about the decision(except we already had the child and had split up!)
More info please...How have you coped etc?
Rachel
Hi Rachel!
How have I coped??? ....Don't really know? ...I suppose all I can say is that it's been very stressful, but WELL worth it now that I'm finally here!
...and can I just say that I love with my new BBQ?

Grant

Last edited by GrantP; Sep 14th 2005 at 11:29 am.
Old Sep 14th 2005, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Grant,
Great to hear you're enjoying your new life. Hope the job goes well and you're managing a few of these with that new bbq
Hilaryx
Old Sep 14th 2005, 3:21 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Great post. Can't wait for the next installment!
Old Sep 15th 2005, 12:41 pm
Welsh Member!!

Originally Posted by hilary6
Hi Grant,
Great to hear you're enjoying your new life. Hope the job goes well and you're managing a few of these with that new bbq
Hilaryx
Hi Hilary!!
Hows things going your end??

Grant
Old Sep 15th 2005, 12:41 pm
Welsh Member!!

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Great post. Can't wait for the next installment!
Sorry, but they may be a bit slow coming! I haven't a lot of time at the moment! ...glad you're enjoying it so far though!
Old Sep 15th 2005, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hilary!!
Hows things going your end??

Grant
TRA's finally in woohooo and Im off to gran canaria in 11 days
Hilary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.