Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

From Wales to Brisbane - My experience!!

From Wales to Brisbane - My experience!!

Old Dec 19th 2005, 5:53 am
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice
Default Re: From Wales to Brisbane - My experience!!

Originally Posted by Stitch
Grant,

Can't wait for the next installment. Just got offered a job in Brisbane starting July 06. Now all we need to do is sell the house!

Cheers

Ginny
Sounds like you've done all the hardwork!!! ...just hang in there, belive me it's worth it!!! ...bloody hot here at the mo!!
Old Dec 19th 2005, 5:59 am
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

Please hang in there, another installment coming soon hopefully!
....they're keeping me far too busy at work to have time to surf the net like I used to!! ...on second thoughts, I wanna go back to the UK and my old job!!! hahaha!!
Old Jan 14th 2006, 12:35 am
Welsh Member!!

We need to start Organising!!!

So that was it, a life changing decision was made on the phone to my new employer! "Yes I'll take the job"....we're moving to Brisbane!!!!!

Where the hell do you start?? ....make a list??....which includes typical items such as:
1. Book flights
2. Sell cars
3. Stop car insurance
4. Cancel mobile phone account
5. Transfer saving to Australian bank account
6. Organise shipping of our belongings
250. Attend a surprise leaving party..........Bast**ds!!

It's a real headache when you first start thinking about what needs doing before you fly out, but also very exciting!! We were very lucky in the fact that we didn't have a house to sell, and we were renting a fully furnished house in the end, so we didn't have any furniture either!
I made the decision to sell any luxury items, such as my expensive mountain bike, my motocross gear, all my fishing tackle etc... It's amazing how much it builds up when you you sell them all! ...just don't do the what it cost me-what I got for it=kill me calculation. I sold most of my stuff on ebay, and was fairly happy with what I got!
The next problem was trying to knock items off the list as you do them! The flights being a prime example. We couldn't book flights until my visa came though, so that was going to have to remain on the list until the dying moments! You also have to consider when to hand your notice in at work, as before that happens you cannot sell the car, cancel the insurance, .....I think you get the idea!! We also had the problem of when to transfer our savings. They were being added to all the time with all the selling going on, and I'd have some money back from the cars, which would probably be one of the last things to sell. In the end we split the transaction in to a few smaller ones, to make sure we had money when we got here!!
All in all, What-a-nightmare ......but then you'll be surprised how quickly it comes together once you start the ball rolling!! ....for me, leaving work was the trigger for mahem!!

Just to go back a bit there, note the Australian bank account comment. It's a good idea to open an account whilst out here on holiday. There's no restrictions, you just need to take your passport with you, and possbily your drivers license.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 10:05 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Congrats on the successful move Grant.

Keep the flag flying.
http://www.hartill.net/Hindmarsh_Isl.../IMG_3622.html

(haven't had one Aussie visitor to the farm who knows the flag !).