Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Waiting period for learner's permit test in Victoria?

Waiting period for learner's permit test in Victoria?

Old Feb 10th 2014, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

erfanonline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Waiting period for learner's permit test in Victoria?

Does anyone have the recent information on waiting period to get Victoria driving learner's permit test appointment? I.e. If I go to a VicRoads customer service centre on 9th March 2014, what is the possibility that the appointment will be given on a date within a week?

The question may look lame, but please allow me to tell the background story. I opened a PayPal account when I visited last time (stayed at my brothers). Then, I returned and now I am making the final move on March 2014. My friend in the USA owe me few thousand dollars. He sent them to my PayPal from his PayPal. As the balance obviously went higher, PayPal is asking for residential address proof (Which is logical, I do not have any complain about it). Only PayPal accepted document that I shall be able to get from Australia in earliest time is a learner's permit.

The problem is, PayPal gave me 45 days to submit document. Otherwise, the account will be "restricted" (currently "limited"). I shall have 10-12 days left when I shall arrive in Australia. That's why the dates are critical. Otherwise, I would not bother If I had to wait for two months to get a date.

My plan is to book an appointment on the first working day after arriving and get the earliest available date for the exam.

If anyone has booked recently, he/she might know.

P.S. The online booking does not work for me as my first name does not fit in the web form. I contacted VicRoads via facebook page, they said I need to book via phone or via customer service centre after arriving.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 10:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting period for learner's permit test in Victoria?

Originally Posted by erfanonline
Does anyone have the recent information on waiting period to get Victoria driving learner's permit test appointment? I.e. If I go to a VicRoads customer service centre on 9th March 2014, what is the possibility that the appointment will be given on a date within a week?

The question may look lame, but please allow me to tell the background story. I opened a PayPal account when I visited last time (stayed at my brothers). Then, I returned and now I am making the final move on March 2014. My friend in the USA owe me few thousand dollars. He sent them to my PayPal from his PayPal. As the balance obviously went higher, PayPal is asking for residential address proof (Which is logical, I do not have any complain about it). Only PayPal accepted document that I shall be able to get from Australia in earliest time is a learner's permit.

The problem is, PayPal gave me 45 days to submit document. Otherwise, the account will be "restricted" (currently "limited"). I shall have 10-12 days left when I shall arrive in Australia. That's why the dates are critical. Otherwise, I would not bother If I had to wait for two months to get a date.

My plan is to book an appointment on the first working day after arriving and get the earliest available date for the exam.

If anyone has booked recently, he/she might know.

P.S. The online booking does not work for me as my first name does not fit in the web form. I contacted VicRoads via facebook page, they said I need to book via phone or via customer service centre after arriving.
Can't you ring VicRoads from wherever you are currently, and book the appointment?
Old Feb 10th 2014, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Can't you ring VicRoads from wherever you are currently, and book the appointment?
The suggested me to call 13 11 71 (which will not work internationally) or to visit a VicRoads customer service centre to book with full name.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 10:34 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

The suggested me to call 13 11 71 (which will not work internationally) or to visit a VicRoads customer service centre to book with full name.
This is taken off VicRoads Facebook page, worth a try
VicRoads Customer Service Hi Pak - you can renew your licence from overseas by calling us on +61 3 9854 7763 (8.30am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 2.00pm Saturday AEST).
Old Feb 10th 2014, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

VicRoads Customer Service Hi Pak - you can renew your licence from overseas by calling us on +61 3 9854 7763 (8.30am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 2.00pm Saturday AEST).
Thanks. I shall give that a try. I wonder why they did not mention it when they replied to me on that Facebook page!
Old Feb 10th 2014, 10:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Vicroads site is being temperamental, possibly because f the heavy usage due to bush fires, but google has yielded a number of +61 3 9854 7763 for international callers - try that tomorrow
Old Feb 10th 2014, 10:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

snap!!!!
Old Feb 10th 2014, 10:45 am
Concierge

Thanks. I shall give that a try. I wonder why they did not mention it when they replied to me on that Facebook page!
There could be a million reasons, none of them good Good luck!
Old Feb 10th 2014, 10:46 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pollyana
snap!!!!
I'm quite flushed with pride!
Old Feb 10th 2014, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Also if you are moving here, when you open a bank account you can ask them if theyll give you a letterhead confirming your address.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Also if you are moving here, when you open a bank account you can ask them if theyll give you a letterhead confirming your address.
I made my first trip in September 2013. I opened by bank accounts, got sim card, got my Tax File Number and many other things. But, unfortunately, PayPal is very strict (which is not a bad thing). They don't accept any of those as proof of residential address. Only docs they accept as proof of residential address are:
- A current Australian or foreign driver’s licence or permit (both sides)*
- A utility bill, e.g. electricity, gas, water or landline phone (issued within the last 3 months)
- A notice of council rates (issued within the last 3 months)
- A notice of tax assessment by the ATO (issued within the last 12 months)
- A Centrelink statement recording a financial benefit paid to the you (issued within the last 12 months)
Old Feb 10th 2014, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Ah okay. Good luck with it. I know when I moved interstate it took 3 weeks to get an appointment just to change my licence from the NT to Victoria
Old Mar 26th 2014, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Just a friendly update how it went:
1. I booked the test online on 22 Feb using incomplete name (as many characters as I could enter)
2. Got appointment date on 11 March
3. Appeared at VicRoads. Informed the customer service officer that I could not enter my full name, presented my passport containing the full name
4. Appeared at test and passed the test
5. Reconfirmed that I need my full name on card
6. Received the card with full name printed by mail in one week
Old Mar 26th 2014, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Glad it all worked out