Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Waiting for meds req,very unhappy in current job?

Waiting for meds req,very unhappy in current job?

Old Apr 7th 2006, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

little bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Waiting for meds req,very unhappy in current job?

I'm after some advice from anyone who can help- be warned its a bit of a long one!!!
We are waiting for contact from DIMIA after submitting a 47SK appl in Dec 05 for a 136 MODL visa. I am a Hairdresser and have claimed points for 'specific work experience' (been in present salon for 4yrs in August this year), unfortunately my boss and i have not seen eye to eye since she realised that i wasn't just full of s### about moving to Oz, various things have happened since then which include us having two blazing rows and her basically barely talking to me since last Oct, which makes working in a small, independant salon very awkward. There have been lots of other issues in the salon (not to do with me) that has resulted in two other members of staff leaving last week (there is only one other full-time girl employed(who is actually waiting to hear about another job), myself (part-time) and another part-timer who works the hours i don't,so staff is pretty thin on the ground having lost two full-time members. I would desperately love to leave but am really worried that if i did and couldn't get another job in a salon because of moving away (salons want long term commitment so it would be difficult to get a reference for DIMIA) my application would not stand as i am then not working in the industry and able to claim the points that i need.

So here is the question- Can i leave my job and still claim the points for Specific Work Experience?

Would appreciate any advice

little bear
Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:12 pm
flirt

stutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting for meds req,very unhappy in current job?

Originally Posted by little bear
I'm after some advice from anyone who can help- be warned its a bit of a long one!!!
We are waiting for contact from DIMIA after submitting a 47SK appl in Dec 05 for a 136 MODL visa. I am a Hairdresser and have claimed points for 'specific work experience' (been in present salon for 4yrs in August this year), unfortunately my boss and i have not seen eye to eye since she realised that i wasn't just full of s### about moving to Oz, various things have happened since then which include us having two blazing rows and her basically barely talking to me since last Oct, which makes working in a small, independant salon very awkward. There have been lots of other issues in the salon (not to do with me) that has resulted in two other members of staff leaving last week (there is only one other full-time girl employed(who is actually waiting to hear about another job), myself (part-time) and another part-timer who works the hours i don't,so staff is pretty thin on the ground having lost two full-time members. I would desperately love to leave but am really worried that if i did and couldn't get another job in a salon because of moving away (salons want long term commitment so it would be difficult to get a reference for DIMIA) my application would not stand as i am then not working in the industry and able to claim the points that i need.

So here is the question- Can i leave my job and still claim the points for Specific Work Experience?

little bear
don't know this as fact, but I understand that our english qualifications for hairdressing are not recognised in oz, but if you have at least 6 years hairdressing behind you and can proove this you are ok.found this out as a freind of mine is a hairdresser and moved to perth
Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

Hi ickle bear...<climbs on his soap box> right ,now this narks me a bit..all this talk about DIMIA phoneing for references from employers/ex-employers...isnt this what the chuffin' TRA was for In my books the work and qualifications side of our Visa application should be done and dusted...whatever we do after a positive reply from the TRA shouldn't have that much of an impact after we've had a yes from them? I thought DIMIA's job (C/O) would be checking PCC's ,Meds,family and other issues on the 47SK?? what was the point of forking out TRA payment and waiting 4 weeks or so (ten days for me ) and asking old bosses for references and feeling awkward?? talk about left hand,right hand
Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:30 pm
flirt

stutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SBUK
Hi ickle bear...<climbs on his soap box> right ,now this narks me a bit..all this talk about DIMIA phoneing for references from employers/ex-employers...isnt this what the chuffin' TRA was for In my books the work and qualifications side of our Visa application should be done and dusted...whatever we do after a positive reply from the TRA shouldn't have that much of an impact after we've had a yes from them? I thought DIMIA's job (C/O) would be checking PCC's ,Meds,family and other issues on the 47SK?? what was the point of forking out TRA payment and waiting 4 weeks or so (ten days for me ) and asking old bosses for references and feeling awkward?? talk about left hand,right hand
I totaly agree, well said
Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

little bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond repute

I know what your saying, TRA was no probs for me, was a mega quick turn around for me (was 3 days from receipt ack to positive decision), my problem is that i'm worried if i'm not 'working in the industry' while my application is being assessed/processed (whatever the difference is!) will i then not be able to claim those vital points, glad to hear i'm not the only one thoroughly pi##ed ff with the whole system.

hi Stutess,
we went out to Perth Dec/Jan this year and found that in WA you have to 'register' as a hairdresser to be able to legally work out there, is your friend liking it out there?
Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:44 pm
flirt

I know what your saying, TRA was no probs for me, was a mega quick turn around for me (was 3 days from receipt ack to positive decision), my problem is that i'm worried if i'm not 'working in the industry' while my application is being assessed/processed (whatever the difference is!) will i then not be able to claim those vital points, glad to hear i'm not the only one thoroughly pi##ed ff with the whole system.

hi Stutess,
we went out to Perth Dec/Jan this year and found that in WA you have to 'register' as a hairdresser to be able to legally work out there, is your friend liking it out there?
loves it, got a job straight away, just had to style on a couple of models and they love it, and got the job
Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

Catch 22 eh?? ..you shouln't be to long now anyroad,maybe just hang in there and keep that tongue well and truly planted in your cheek?...I pity the C/O who throws a spanner in my works!! ..99.9% of the people/families on this site who go through all this B******t to get there Visa's will be nothing but a help to Australia and its ecomony and yet they seem to try their best to pull you on the smallest of matters!! ..a criminal record YES!! two or so months out of a profession just before a move...**** off!! <gets down off his soapbox,and punches the nearest door>
Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stutess
loves it, got a job straight away, just had to style on a couple of models and they love it, and got the job
thats great, i got the impression there is plenty of work out there for H'dressers, hubby is a builder so we should be okay, are you in the midst of an application?
Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, you all need my smilie, here you go

Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Waiting for meds req,very unhappy in current job?

Catch 22 eh?? ..you shouln't be to long now anyroad,maybe just hang in there and keep that tongue well and truly planted in your cheek?...I pity the C/O who throws a spanner in my works!! ..99.9% of the people/families on this site who go through all this B******t to get there Visa's will be nothing but a help to Australia and its ecomony and yet they seem to try their best to pull you on the smallest of matters!! ..a criminal record YES!! two or so months out of a profession just before a move...**** off!! <gets down off his soapbox,and punches the nearest door>
you must be my mum in cognito, thats exactly what she said to me last week when i was fretting about going into to work, very very very difficult to keep gob shut-have a tendancy to say it how it is!

How far down this very long and incredibly stressful road are you, where you heading?

ps mind how you get off your soap box, it seems quite a high one
Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:01 pm
flirt

thats great, i got the impression there is plenty of work out there for H'dressers, hubby is a builder so we should be okay, are you in the midst of an application?
good luck everything will be fine
Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:12 pm
MACCA

cmac will become famous soon enoughcmac will become famous soon enough

Hi, i was in the same situation as you. i was thinking of leaving my present employer but spoke to my emigration consultant and she advised me that this could hinder your application. i hope this helps. tara (hairdresser myself.)
Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

little bear
Hi little bear ,dont know the answer to your question.but easier said then done just hang in there a tad more.We are on the same time line as you (roughly).My husband has been unhappy in his job for a while.he handed in his notice feb.he has to give 3 months,so he will finish in May.every day he tells me how many more days left he has.if he is still waiting on visa he will do temp. workx good luck.irishbloo
Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Hi little bear ,dont know the answer to your question.but easier said then done just hang in there a tad more.We are on the same time line as you (roughly).My husband has been unhappy in his job for a while.he handed in his notice feb.he has to give 3 months,so he will finish in May.every day he tells me how many more days left he has.if he is still waiting on visa he will do temp. workx good luck.irishbloo
cmac- thanks for the info, has sort of confirmed my thoughts that i need to sit tight, have got meds booked for 30th May in the hopes that they will have been requested by then, have done TRA and 47sk with no agent so a bit alone when it comes to this sort of stuff. There is quite a few hairdressers on this site, i wonder if there'll be any left in UK!

irishbloo- i bet your hubby can't wait till may,

thanks for your support guys x
Old Apr 7th 2006, 11:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

little bear

Changes in employment situation after you apply to DIMA do not affect your current application. The Skilled Migration Booklet makes that clear.

Better inform DIMA however as if they follow up a reference and your former employer denies all knowledge, then you will have problems.

Also - if for some reason you have to reapply, it may well make a difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.