British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Waiting to be connected... :mad: (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/waiting-connected-mad-316089/)

Seabird Jul 26th 2005 7:21 am

Waiting to be connected... :mad:

I added it up.... Trying to sort out household/immigration admin type bits yesterday. I spent one hour unsuccessfully trying to get connected to a human voice at DVLA, having gone through a choice of 4 options, then another 4, then 3... that makes 47, (4x4x3) -1, possible ways of ending up with the wrong telephone answer message rather than the right one!!

I then tried to get a referral letter for HSBC from my bank. I tried all morning to get through, but each time the message told me it would be about 6 minutes before I got to a human being, having gone through all the usual button-pressing. Gave up and decided to go into town, find the local DVLA office and go to the bank personally and request a letter, also had to go to the Council offices to give them a letter they needed as they owed me some money.

DVLA, once I found them (20 minutes), took me 15 minutes of queuing, although the girl was really helpful.

The bank said that they were short-staffed so I'd have to ring the number that I'd been ringing from home, although I was welcome to use their phone. Sat there for another 3 minutes to be connected (at least I had the satisfaction of the bank paying for the call), only to be told that even though I have banked with them since I was 15 (30 years), I'd have to pay £10 for a letter to say that they know me!

The last straw was the Council. They have just replaced their computer system. The money due to me stems back from May! I'd like to see how they'd react if I waited that long to pay my Council Tax. So how long did I queue to get seen? 1 hour!! It then took the guy another 25 minutes to work out what had happened, and he still can't guaruntee I'll get the money in the next few days as the computer system is not working as it should!

Do they have the same systems in Oz, or does the lower population density mean you spend less time trying to get people on the phone? Or am I just putting on those rose tinted specs again???? I know that admin is Oz is a nightmare as well, just interested in whether it would take you 6 hours to send off for a replacement driving licence, visit the Council and get a bank letter odered.

At least the solicitor was efficient and stamped all my certifiable copies!! Visa application off by the end of the week at last!! :D

bridiej Jul 26th 2005 7:32 am

Re: Waiting to be connected... :mad:

Just in case you're not aware, you can keep your HSBC account and use it in Oz.

All you need to do is let them know your new addresss once you're settled - just thought this might save you a tenner...

Seabird Jul 26th 2005 9:08 am

Re: Waiting to be connected... :mad:

Originally Posted by bridiej
Just in case you're not aware, you can keep your HSBC account and use it in Oz.

All you need to do is let them know your new addresss once you're settled - just thought this might save you a tenner...

Thanks for that.

I bank with the Alliance and Leicester, who I have to say have been excellent over the years. I am opening an Oz account with HSBC, and a bank referral gives you lots of points!! And we all know what points make!

Cheers :)