Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Bayside / Redlands area

Brisbane Bayside / Redlands area

Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:52 am
ABCDiamond

Default Brisbane Bayside / Redlands area

It's been a while since asking who else is heading this way, but I was asked on Sunday if I knew who was coming to the area this year, and I must admit that I don't know now.

I do know we have over a hundred members on the local area forum, many already here, but also many just looking at the area.

So, if you are thinking of this area, and haven't introduced yourselves yet, here's your opportunity

I consider the area to be Wynnum/Manly, Capalaba, down to Victoria Point, Redland Bay areas or anywhere close

Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:55 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brisbane Bayside / Redlands area

Have they got the area kiddy fiddler who was trying to tempt kids into his car?
Old Jan 17th 2005, 5:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bondipom
Have they got the area kiddy fiddler who was trying to tempt kids into his car?
I'd have to go and read the papers again to find that out, but I don't recall reading anything about it recently.
It reminds me about the time we left Sydney though, when there was that big case about one guy who was attacking teenagers in the area, at the time it made me glad we got away from the area. But then we realised that it can happen anywhere.

Old Jan 17th 2005, 5:17 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I'd have to go and read the papers again to find that out, but I don't recall reading anything about it recently.
It reminds me about the time we left Sydney though, when there was that big case about one guy who was attacking teenagers in the area, at the time it made me glad we got away from the area. But then we realised that it can happen anywhere.
It was in the Sun Herald last week. Police were warning people to be on the lookout. No mention of any victims so hopefully the public warning scared him off.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 5:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bondipom
It was in the Sun Herald last week. Police were warning people to be on the lookout. No mention of any victims so hopefully the public warning scared him off.
I missed the Sunday paper on the 9th, and I didn't see any thing in the local papers, and with the school holidays on, you don't get the normal gossip going the rounds. I'm always wary of anything like that though, to the point I tell my daughter i'll still be taking her to school till she's 18 !!

I do notice that more kids around here get freedom earlier than I would expect, or allow, personally.

Old Jan 17th 2005, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

I do notice that more kids around here get freedom earlier than I would expect, or allow, personally.
I was thinking that too ABC. I see little tiny tots riding their bicycles home from school alone :scared:
Old Jan 17th 2005, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hi ABC, we re going to looking at the bayside area once we get there in the summer, and suburbs of the gold coast,look forward to meeting you

tracey.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 8:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scissors
hi ABC, we re going to looking at the bayside area once we get there in the summer, and suburbs of the gold coast,look forward to meeting you

tracey.
And we will be following Scissors around. She knows where she is going. Not!

As soon as we have made a decision, we will definitely let you know.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

lol, we could go in convoy,i do want to check out bayside still just to make sure,but i think gold coast will be more for us,penny i have the book you recommended, its great thanks.

I ll give you a list of all the places we re going to look at and we can chase around all the same houses when we get there penny,l ol,tracey. QUOTE=moneypen20]And we will be following Scissors around. She knows where she is going. Not!

As soon as we have made a decision, we will definitely let you know. [/QUOTE]
Old Jan 17th 2005, 12:05 pm
Pej
Forum Regular

Pej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nice
Talking Re: Brisbane Bayside / Redlands area

It's been a while since asking who else is heading this way, but I was asked on Sunday if I knew who was coming to the area this year, and I must admit that I don't know now.

I do know we have over a hundred members on the local area forum, many already here, but also many just looking at the area.

So, if you are thinking of this area, and haven't introduced yourselves yet, here's your opportunity

I consider the area to be Wynnum/Manly, Capalaba, down to Victoria Point, Redland Bay areas or anywhere close
We are hoping to be Bayside residents this year. Hopefully Manly area, but could be persuaded to go elsewhere.
Unfortunately we are stuck in the DIMIA pre-July queue, and with a house to sell too. We are optimistically looking to move this summer.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 5:46 pm
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough

We are hoping to be moving to bayside in next few months. Hoping to agree a sale on our house this week (fingers crossed!), so as soon as the ££ is in our mitts we'll be on our way!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared:

carole and chris
Old Jan 17th 2005, 6:21 pm
Wanna-be Pommie B******s

Gaz&Rach is on a distinguished road

We're now liking the sound of living Bayside. We were initially going to try Redcliffe but the lack of train bothers me. Also a few other things bother me after doing research. These are the sorts of things you don't realise just from a visit whilst on holiday. It's hard to try to be sensible about these things and not just go off first impressions with a rose tinted view. Compared to where I live now, Redcliffe is very beautiful but, with all these great looking places to choose from, we need to be sure we make the right choice for our particular needs. Most of Bayside seems to have everything (except beaches) so we'll probably start there somewhere and decide exactly where to settle whilst we're there.

Can't wait to explore!!!

R
Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Hoping to rent in Wynnum Manly area. Arrive on Friday evening so will be out looking for houses asap.
I think where we live to some extent will depend on the rental properties available.
Eldest daughter would like to know how far it will be to go to a surfing beach.......she wants to learn to surf, that will be a laugh!!!!
Looking forward to meeting everyone....people have been so helful and friendly.
Amanda
Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mand8002
Hi
Hoping to rent in Wynnum Manly area. Arrive on Friday evening so will be out looking for houses asap.
I think where we live to some extent will depend on the rental properties available.
Eldest daughter would like to know how far it will be to go to a surfing beach.......she wants to learn to surf, that will be a laugh!!!!
Looking forward to meeting everyone....people have been so helful and friendly.
Amanda
No surf around Redlands Bayside and not much of a beach either. To surf you need to go down to the Gold Coast which is about 50kms away.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 1:25 am
ABCDiamond

A survey was recently done in the Redlands area, about why residents like the area, and what they don't like.
the top two reasons for liking it were:
  • Near the water/close to bay
  • Nice lifestyle/peaceful/quality of life

These are the full results (1 being the most popular choice):

What they like best about living in the Redlands
1 Near the water/close to bay
2 Nice lifestyle/peaceful/quality of life
3 Country Atmosphere/open spaces/semi-rural
4 Nice weather/bay breezes/cooler
5 Close to amenities (inc shops/school/transport)
6 Recreation areas/bushland/outdoor activities
7 Good Facilities/shops/cafes
8 Friendly people/good neighbours
9 Not too congested/easy to get around
10 Environment/nature/wildlife
11 Community/village atmosphere

What they disliked about living in the Redlands
1 Traffic Congestion/inadequate roads
2 Poor public transport
3 Too much development or high density development
4 Urban sprawl type of development
5 Poorly maintained roads (dirt etc)
6 Council - lack of consulation/hard to deal with
7 Destruction of bushland/koala habitat

These results are based on local residents opinions, not necessarily migrants.

Some Redlands areas have little public transport and others have plenty, and again, some areas have better roads than others. Consequently some comments will only apply to specific areas in the Redlands.

I know some people have moved away from my local area, due to the increase in traffic lights, yet personnaly I only need to go through 1 set of lights to get to the local shopping centre, or 4 sets to get into the Cleveland centre, or 6 sets and we are in Capalaba. It does depend on individual experiences. I can understand the locals, (a bit south of me) who have seen the number of lights go from 1 set to 4 sets before they get to the shops !

(Actually, I could get to the shops without any traffic lights if I really tried, but it may take longer )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.