Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wagga wagga, whats it like

wagga wagga, whats it like

Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of
Default wagga wagga, whats it like

hi all,
i have never been to wagga wagga i have a job interview for the council there, i have heard that it is quite nice but sonmeone has also mentioed that they were advised not to go there.
has anyone been, or know anyone who has visited, any realistic comments would be really helpful.
thanks
sarah
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:58 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wagga wagga, whats it like

I don't know it first hand but my boss (an Aussie) has to go there occasionally on business and says it is dead! It does have an airport so I guess it's not that tiny but I imagine it is a little lacking in soul from his comments.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 11:22 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sormesher
hi all,
i have never been to wagga wagga i have a job interview for the council there, i have heard that it is quite nice but sonmeone has also mentioed that they were advised not to go there.
has anyone been, or know anyone who has visited, any realistic comments would be really helpful.
thanks
sarah
have a look here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=wagga
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Londonboy777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by binbird
I don't know it first hand but my boss (an Aussie) has to go there occasionally on business and says it is dead! It does have an airport so I guess it's not that tiny but I imagine it is a little lacking in soul from his comments.
I grew up in London and emigrated Down Under. I'm proud to say I live in Wagga and I can inform you that it's a great place to live. It's got a population of 60,000 so there's a reasonable amount of facilities, plenty of space, hot summers (40 degrees) but chilly winters (around 10 degrees daytime tops).

There's a slight limit on shopping but that's to be expected of a non-metropolitan area. The plus side is that life is unimaginably easier than the big cities (Sydney or Melbourne), getting around is easy by car (public transport is iffy though, so I'm told), the people are friendly, housing is cheap, and it's easy to get to Sydney, Canberra or Melbourne if you crave IKEA or huge shopping malls.

I presume you're being recruited for some sort of town planning role by council boss Philip Perram, so I'm guessing you're maybe mature enough to appreciate the place. I wouldn't suggest a Londoner or Mancunian in their late teens or early 20s will love the place (although there are plenty of pubs and clubs), but for kids and for people 25-plus it's great.

I have no idea why someone would advise not to come here. I can hand on heart highly recommend the place. It's not dead at all and is definitely not lacking in soul. It's a proud bush city!

Come out here and take a look round. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Londonboy777
I grew up in London and emigrated Down Under. I'm proud to say I live in Wagga and I can inform you that it's a great place to live. It's got a population of 60,000 so there's a reasonable amount of facilities, plenty of space, hot summers (40 degrees) but chilly winters (around 10 degrees daytime tops).

There's a slight limit on shopping but that's to be expected of a non-metropolitan area. The plus side is that life is unimaginably easier than the big cities (Sydney or Melbourne), getting around is easy by car (public transport is iffy though, so I'm told), the people are friendly, housing is cheap, and it's easy to get to Sydney, Canberra or Melbourne if you crave IKEA or huge shopping malls.

I presume you're being recruited for some sort of town planning role by council boss Philip Perram, so I'm guessing you're maybe mature enough to appreciate the place. I wouldn't suggest a Londoner or Mancunian in their late teens or early 20s will love the place (although there are plenty of pubs and clubs), but for kids and for people 25-plus it's great.

I have no idea why someone would advise not to come here. I can hand on heart highly recommend the place. It's not dead at all and is definitely not lacking in soul. It's a proud bush city!

Come out here and take a look round. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
hi london boy, thanks for your message and the one on my other thead about interview questions. i have done alot of research into the city and was happy about the place, the info on wikepedia is really imformative and i have had a look at other web sites, my oh would be happy with the KFC i let him have one for a treat every now and then!
google earth really helped, i am pleased about the oasis centre, although a 50 metre pool is a bit different to the 17.5m pool i currently swim in.
currently we live in rural norfolk without even a pub to walk to so wagga seems like a dream compared to here.
yes my interview is with philip, on tuesday, i have got so much information about the NSW planning legislation and the council plans and things i should be okay. when the agency rang me up the chap said i was the only person who seemed to have a real idea about the place. do you know philip?
thanks
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by asher
thanks for that link asher
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sormesher
hi london boy, thanks for your message and the one on my other thead about interview questions. i have done alot of research into the city and was happy about the place, the info on wikepedia is really imformative and i have had a look at other web sites, my oh would be happy with the KFC i let him have one for a treat every now and then!
google earth really helped, i am pleased about the oasis centre, although a 50 metre pool is a bit different to the 17.5m pool i currently swim in.
currently we live in rural norfolk without even a pub to walk to so wagga seems like a dream compared to here.
yes my interview is with philip, on tuesday, i have got so much information about the NSW planning legislation and the council plans and things i should be okay. when the agency rang me up the chap said i was the only person who seemed to have a real idea about the place. do you know philip?
thanks
Sounds like you'd enjoy Wagga if you're already in a rural area. There are in fact 2 KFCs, 3 McDonalds and a Hungry Jacks (Burger King to you and me!), a good cinema, the Oasis (which is good fun), lots of nice pubs and some clubs, about which I know nothing, I'm a bit old for clubbing these days :-( and I can tell you one thing: if you've ever enjoyed standing outside a pub on a warm summer evening in Norfolk, you'll love this place. There are plenty of warm summer nights. Even at 7 or 8pm it's still in the high 30s in December or January/February.

I don't know Philip Perram at all. I work at the local paper, The Daily Advertiser (http://www.rivmediagroup.com.au/rmghome.asp), but have nothing to do with him. Few here do, he's elusive and has a PR woman. I have no idea what he's like at all. Met the mayor, Kerry Pascoe (who tonight has been re-elected) and he's good fun, always up for a funny pic in the paper. Very friendly.

All the best for your interview tomorrow, it sounds like you've done your homework and could be in with a shout at getting the job. Have you done any research about visas? I expect the council will sponsor you as a skilled migrant. I came in on a spouse visa (my wife's from round here) so I don't know much about the points thing. But if you have a job teed up then I would imagine it's a no-brainer.

If you're successful I'm sure you'll enjoy Wagga. There's a lot to see and do and you'll see a side of Australia few tourists bother to come out to see. They tend to stay in Sydney, Melbourne, the Gold Coast or the red centre. They're missing out on such a lot.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Sounds like you'd enjoy Wagga if you're already in a rural area. There are in fact 2 KFCs, 3 McDonalds and a Hungry Jacks (Burger King to you and me!), a good cinema, the Oasis (which is good fun), lots of nice pubs and some clubs, about which I know nothing, I'm a bit old for clubbing these days :-( and I can tell you one thing: if you've ever enjoyed standing outside a pub on a warm summer evening in Norfolk, you'll love this place. There are plenty of warm summer nights. Even at 7 or 8pm it's still in the high 30s in December or January/February.

I don't know Philip Perram at all. I work at the local paper, The Daily Advertiser (http://www.rivmediagroup.com.au/rmghome.asp), but have nothing to do with him. Few here do, he's elusive and has a PR woman. I have no idea what he's like at all. Met the mayor, Kerry Pascoe (who tonight has been re-elected) and he's good fun, always up for a funny pic in the paper. Very friendly.

All the best for your interview tomorrow, it sounds like you've done your homework and could be in with a shout at getting the job. Have you done any research about visas? I expect the council will sponsor you as a skilled migrant. I came in on a spouse visa (my wife's from round here) so I don't know much about the points thing. But if you have a job teed up then I would imagine it's a no-brainer.

If you're successful I'm sure you'll enjoy Wagga. There's a lot to see and do and you'll see a side of Australia few tourists bother to come out to see. They tend to stay in Sydney, Melbourne, the Gold Coast or the red centre. They're missing out on such a lot.
well im not sure how the interview went, its always the same when you come out that you think of things to say, when i answered the questions i was thinking to myself that i wasnt making any sense! i have done my best though. not going to find out for a couple of weeks as philip is off to the twin town of wagga in germany for some celebration. i just wish i would know one way or the other its really doing my head in now, i live, sleep and eat wagga i really want to go. if i dont get the job we will stay in england for probably two years to save up a bit of money, this job was a spur of the moment thing. i feel like i am stuck and dont know where to go.
oh well, he told me about a good indian though so maybe he did like me! although im not keen on indian i think i would prefer it to all thoes fast food places!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

deano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud of

Fingers crossed and let us know how you get on
Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Any news? We hear Mr Perram is making offers to five town planners from England.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

pasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to all

Any news? We hear Mr Perram is making offers to five town planners from England.
What about making an offer to an ex uk town planner living (and practicing) in Queensland!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 2:10 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sormsher,

I am a planner over in Sydney moved out in May. There are plenty of jobs out here, so don't get too disheartend if you don't get this one. I would say that councils are your best option to start with and are likely to sort sponsership out (although salaries are a little lower, but roughly on par with the UK), we are on a 457 and it only took about six weeks from offer until getting out here. Planners are in short supply over here, especially in regional areas like Wagga Wagga.

I probably wouldnt advise going to a private firm until you have some experience under your belt, as they will want you to get up to speed quickly whereas councils will give you a bit more support. Get a book by David Farrier called The Environmetal Law Handbook (4th Ed) it will tell you all you need to know about planning in NSW.

The system is very much like the UK system before it changed to the 'spatial' with the 2004 Act.

Are you looking for policy or dc work?

Are you MRTPI?

Feel free to contact me if I can be of help.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 2:26 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Also check out:

http://www.planning.org.au/index.php...171&Itemid=267

and www.lgjobs.com.au
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

hi londonboy, thanks for asking, i havent heard anything. i contact the agent the end of last week and he said they were being really slow and hopefully he would have some news this week, but nothing. i might email him again especially now that you have heard that news.
i am so set on going to wagga but if i dont get the job my husband said i can buy a new mattress for the bed so at least i have something to look forward to!!
thanks again
sarah
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Hi Sormsher,

I am a planner over in Sydney moved out in May. There are plenty of jobs out here, so don't get too disheartend if you don't get this one. I would say that councils are your best option to start with and are likely to sort sponsership out (although salaries are a little lower, but roughly on par with the UK), we are on a 457 and it only took about six weeks from offer until getting out here. Planners are in short supply over here, especially in regional areas like Wagga Wagga.

I probably wouldnt advise going to a private firm until you have some experience under your belt, as they will want you to get up to speed quickly whereas councils will give you a bit more support. Get a book by David Farrier called The Environmetal Law Handbook (4th Ed) it will tell you all you need to know about planning in NSW.

The system is very much like the UK system before it changed to the 'spatial' with the 2004 Act.

Are you looking for policy or dc work?

Are you MRTPI?

Feel free to contact me if I can be of help.
hi nots boy,
thanks for the comments really helpful, i will be MRTPI (fingers crossed) i hand my dissertation in next month so i am almost there.
i dont think i would like to go private, its harder here and working in another country i think will be terrible! i would rather go with a council i like the ethics of council work a bit better than consultants who try to put in stupid applications which are completly against policy.
i am looking for dc.
thanks for the tips and i will keep you in mind if i have any questions.
sarah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.