Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wagga wagga or Orange?

Wagga wagga or Orange?

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 8:45 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wagga wagga or Orange?

zakuro, I just posted this in another thread:

I've never lived in either, and I'd put them both at the top of the tree as far as inland regional centres in NSW are concerned.

Personally, I'd prefer to live in Orange because the climate would be more to my liking: Orange is not as hot in the summer. I suppose it gets more cloudy weather, but that wouldn't worry me.

The countryside around Orange is certainly more appealing.

Wagga Wagga is sports-mad; my impression is that life in Orange is more rounded, with an interest in cultural activities and, of course, culinary and oenophilic arts, that is better developed.

I suggest you try and spend a few days in each of them and see what you think?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CPW
zakuro, I just posted this in another thread:

I've never lived in either, and I'd put them both at the top of the tree as far as inland regional centres in NSW are concerned.

Personally, I'd prefer to live in Orange because the climate would be more to my liking: Orange is not as hot in the summer. I suppose it gets more cloudy weather, but that wouldn't worry me.

The countryside around Orange is certainly more appealing.

Wagga Wagga is sports-mad; my impression is that life in Orange is more rounded, with an interest in cultural activities and, of course, culinary and oenophilic arts, that is better developed.

I suggest you try and spend a few days in each of them and see what you think?
Aussie friend has said Orange has more wineries and is quainter...Wagga is a bit....I won't use the word but it's related to toilets...mind you personally I have never been to either...
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

aussiedude will become famous soon enough

Orange, Orange, Orange

Orange is super dooper great, everyone is friendly I drove up from the Central coast before Christmas via the Blue mountains and it took me 4 hrs on the way back, the roads are much better than when I was a kid and the atmopshere and the sense of a family enviroment is great in Orange.

There is a new hospital being built in Orange which will have services that use to have to be done in Sydney now to be done in the new Hospital our at Orange which will be state of the art and also a new Dental Hosptial so I have been told. There is plenty of work, there are 2 mines one Gold and one Copper.

My hubby was made redundant in October and hasn't been able to find work here so we have been looking elsewhere and find Orange to be a relaxed but very exciting up and coming place to be. Loads to see and do and the climate is pretty regular although it does get cold in winter but only for a few weeks not like the UK.

I would go for Orange. What job have you manage to land.

Good luck with your choice.

Oh and my sister lives in Orange and would be happy to help and advise if she can. She stopped there some 20years ago with her husband and baby for an overnight and has been there ever since, they love it. They have 6 kids and foster children and love it. So if you want any help or advice let me know and I will put you in touch with her.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:36 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zakuro
Just got two job offers from Wagga and Orange. Still looking for more info about these two places before I make a decision. They seem to have similar population, weather, lifestyle?, and take about the same time to the metro area. If I need to travel pretty often to Sydney, prefer a place with better scenery and energetic lifestyle, which one should I choose? I heard that wagga is the biggest inner city in NSW, but strangely I found much less rental info online for this area than for Orange...

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
Not been to Wagga yet but settled in Orange two months ago. I have relatives here who really help settling in, and have found it really very friendly and welcoming. We have been to Sydney 3 times and while it is a 3.5 hour drive, its not unpleasant, lots of nice scenery to look at. There is a direct train to Sydney but it takes longer than the car. There are daily flights if you want to go regularly.
So far I like the climate and have been before at different times of the year. Its been up to 37 and I found that hot, but not unbearable. Its very pleasant in April and September and I await winter with interest. You can get a pleasant cool breeze. Since I've been here we've had a few cloudy days, linked to the tropical storm up north and we can get rain some afternoons. However you know it a day or so the sun will be out again!
Re things to do, I am a bit of a foodie and love my golf. With three golf courses and really good farmers market, restaurants and Food week etc, I'm very happy.
Last weekend we had Warratahs v Fiji rugby, James Valentine playing live Jazz at one of the local restaurants and horse racing on.
However if you want beaches, surf culture or lots of nightlife, then you will find Orange a little far from a beach and a bit slow!
I would suggest you visit both and see what you like.
Good luck