British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Wages in Perth (trades) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/wages-perth-trades-111798/)

Grub Sep 26th 2002 11:03 am

Wages in Perth (trades)

Dear All

Can anyone advise me what an experienced tradesperson such as a carpenter could expect to earn per month in Perth?

Also- is it better to work for yourself, or for someone else (financially and conditions etc)

Anyone in the know please help!!

Cheers

Nicky

PS What are the tax conditions like for the self emp e.g. can you lose a huge proportion of your actual earnings as we do in the UK??? (sorry Mr Tax Man!)

Devlin Sep 26th 2002 2:58 pm

Re: Wages in Perth (trades)

Originally posted by NickyTurner:
Dear All

Can anyone advise me what an experienced tradesperson such as a carpenter could expect to earn per month in Perth?

Also- is it better to work for yourself, or for someone else (financially and conditions etc)

Anyone in the know please help!!

Cheers

Nicky

PS What are the tax conditions like for the self emp e.g. can you lose a huge proportion of your actual earnings as we do in the UK??? (sorry Mr Tax Man!)

Between $150-200 a day would probably be a fair estimate.

Grub Sep 26th 2002 3:00 pm

[Cheers Devlin- that seems about fair. Are you out there yourself. Any ideas about working for someone or for yourself?

Devlin Sep 26th 2002 3:07 pm

[Cheers Devlin- that seems about fair. Are you out there yourself. Any ideas about working for someone or for yourself?

Nah, got family out there though. Not sure about the self-employed situation, but I think you can get away with a lot more deductions.

Diane Sep 26th 2002 6:58 pm

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by NickyTurner:

Hi Nicky

My brother is a carpenter and started off working for someone then set up on his own but he ended up with a load of bad debts and was working every hour available. He had to start working as an employee again. He was left in quite a bit of trouble financially but he's managed to sort it out now. I'm not sure about what the actual wages are though.

Diane

dotty Sep 27th 2002 5:53 am

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Diane:

Hi Nicky

My brother is a carpenter and started off working for someone then set up on his own but he ended up with a load of bad debts and was working every hour available. He had to start working as an employee again. He was left in quite a bit of trouble financially but he's managed to sort it out now. I'm not sure about what the actual wages are though.

Diane

These are Brisbane figures, but may help. House Framing, including Frame Trusses and Fix out, (the lot in other words) $30 per square metre. This was only $25 sm a year ago and will no doubt go down again if the boom slows. dont know of many employed as Salary. Its no work no pay here. Make absolutely sure you bring all papers. All workers in this industry need Qualifications , registration with state board and Insurances. Hours are 7 till about 4, very little time for breaks, some only take 20 minutes! Also working outside here in summer is a bloody torture, seen many a bloke drop from sunstroke. Plenty of work tho in Bris and I believe Perth too. Most blokes working 6 days at moment.