Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wages and how much necessary to make a healthy living in Melbourne suburbia??

Wages and how much necessary to make a healthy living in Melbourne suburbia??

Old Jan 16th 2005, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about
Default Wages and how much necessary to make a healthy living in Melbourne suburbia??

Folks; out of interest and curiosity. How much would you deem necessary to make a healthy living in Melbourne suburbia for a family of four (32, 30, 2, 1)? We will rent, buy cars, kindie for both children etc. We have a job offer of about 120.000 AUD, but have no idea what that would mean in local terms so I thought I should ask the professionals in here.

Thanks in advance ..

/Jørgen Skogstad
Old Jan 16th 2005, 11:47 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wages and how much necessary to make a healthy living in Melbourne suburbia??

Hi

HUP did a thread on this but i can't find it I think the basis was that you needed $80k to have a reasonable standard of living around Melbourne. With $120k you'll be quids in
Old Jan 16th 2005, 1:47 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wages and how much necessary to make a healthy living in Melbourne suburbia??

Originally Posted by jskogsta
Folks; out of interest and curiosity. How much would you deem necessary to make a healthy living in Melbourne suburbia for a family of four (32, 30, 2, 1)? We will rent, buy cars, kindie for both children etc. We have a job offer of about 120.000 AUD, but have no idea what that would mean in local terms so I thought I should ask the professionals in here.

Thanks in advance ..

/Jørgen Skogstad
Here was one thread where the matter was discussed

$80K Needed
Old Jan 16th 2005, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HUP

$80K Needed
We are in sh*t street then as we have budgeted A$50k a year for two adults with no mortgage in the Melbourne area.

Better have a re-think !!!!!
Old Jan 16th 2005, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by hevs
Hi

HUP did a thread on this but i can't find it I think the basis was that you needed $80k to have a reasonable standard of living around Melbourne. With $120k you'll be quids in
Ah! Ok; sounds almost too god to be true then. Hmm... now we only got to get the child migration visa sorted for our littlest one - then tackle the local employer ... and we should be off!

Thank you so much btw...

/Jørgen
Old Jan 16th 2005, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HUP

$80K Needed
Ahh! Never saw that.. really good thread .. owe you one for that one!

Cheers,
Jørgen Skogstad
Old Jan 17th 2005, 1:49 am
Just Joined

fair_dinkum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eintracht
We are in sh*t street then as we have budgeted A$50k a year for two adults with no mortgage in the Melbourne area.

Better have a re-think !!!!!
Two adults can definatley live of 50K per year if they have no mortgage
Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:39 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fair_dinkum
$50,000 after income tax is $74,020 before income tax according to:

Income Tax Calculator
Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:42 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by fair_dinkum

Yep, if thats $50k after tax, no mortgage, no probs. Don't forget, Jorgen has two kids as well to pay for
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:55 am
Badge

A family needs more than AUS50,000, even if they are mortgage free.

Of course, it all depends on what you spend your money on. Even 100,000 is not enough when you are outfitting a house from scratch and what everything now - or soon....

But many things last 10 or more years so it all depends on you and how soon you want something, and indeed, whether you need it.

Badge

Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:57 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Badge
A family needs more than AUS50,000, even if they are mortgage free.

Of course, it all depends on what you spend your money on. Even 100,000 is not enough when you are outfitting a house from scratch and what everything now - or soon....

But many things last 10 or more years so it all depends on you and how soon you want something, and indeed, whether you need it.

Badge

Thats true - my partner already had all the furniture, bike and boat before I moved here. A car and mortgage/bills is all I personally now pay for.