Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WAGES-how much for average family2live reasonably??

WAGES-how much for average family2live reasonably??

Old Sep 29th 2006, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

trippy t is an unknown quantity at this point
Question WAGES-how much for average family2live reasonably??

Hi

We are a family of 5. Me, husband & 3 kids(16,4 & 2yrs old). Husband has just applyed for a trucking job in WA (but has yet to have an interview).

Husband would like to know what is considered a decent wage for a trucker..& more importantly what you all think a family of our size would need to earn each week to live reasonably well?

I have read the wages thread with interest but would appreciate your opinions on our situation. He just wants to be prepared before his interview to understand what is considered a "livable" wage to help decide whether we can really afford to live in OZ.

Many thanks

trippy t
Old Sep 29th 2006, 8:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WAGES-how much for average family2live reasonably??

Originally Posted by trippy t
Hi

We are a family of 5. Me, husband & 3 kids(16,4 & 2yrs old). Husband has just applyed for a trucking job in WA (but has yet to have an interview).

Husband would like to know what is considered a decent wage for a trucker..& more importantly what you all think a family of our size would need to earn each week to live reasonably well?

I have read the wages thread with interest but would appreciate your opinions on our situation. He just wants to be prepared before his interview to understand what is considered a "livable" wage to help decide whether we can really afford to live in OZ.

Many thanks

trippy t
Don't know about drivers but I reckon 80k pa minimum if you have a mortgage & average lifestyle.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trippy t
Hi

Many thanks

trippy t
Hi,

There have been lots of threads on this before. If you try doing a search (sorry I hate it when people say that, lol) you may come up with something. People in the past have put up what their outgoings are which is really helpful. It all depends on your lifestyle really and how much you have got to go with. I certainly wont be earning anywhere near $80k so will have to live by what I've got.

I'm just on my way out but will try and find one of the threads for you later

Tracey
Old Sep 29th 2006, 8:40 am
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute

FFS how many truckies are going to earn 80K???

You can get by on half that but obviously the more you earn the better your lifestyle.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 8:46 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wife Beater

You can get by on half that but obviously the more you earn the better your lifestyle.
Mining truckies with more $'s than one can shake a stick at
Old Sep 29th 2006, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by walla
My bruv works in a big mine in QLD and reckons driving the big rigs up there i.e. the big earth movers) is worth about $700 for a 12 hour shift. Four of those a week would give you about $140k pa.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

I'm just on my way out but will try and find one of the threads for you later

Tracey[/QUOTE]

Thank you Tracey...would appreciate that.

trippy t
Old Sep 29th 2006, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Do you work or would it just be hubby that would be working?

I am amazed that people (parents and kids) can survive on just one wage of around $50k...they must have nothing left over for emergencies
Old Sep 29th 2006, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: WAGES-how much for average family2live reasonably??

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
My bruv works in a big mine in QLD and reckons driving the big rigs up there i.e. the big earth movers) is worth about $700 for a 12 hour shift. Four of those a week would give you about $140k pa.
Blimey! That does sound rather good! Heres hoping eh!

The job he's after is to do with mining in WA...tipper trucks back & forth to the mines I believe. Would happily settle for a lot less than your brother(wouldnt complain though!)

Thanks for your input

trippy t
Old Sep 29th 2006, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
Do you work or would it just be hubby that would be working?

I am amazed that people (parents and kids) can survive on just one wage of around $50k...they must have nothing left over for emergencies
No I dont work, and probably wouldnt(kids at home) unless an opportunity arose that fitted around the kids. Cant bank on it though.

$50k is the figure I had in mind that an average trucky would earn actually- just from research Ive done already(though WHAT is an average trucker?) Hope it is more than this though!

trippy t
Old Sep 29th 2006, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of

Hi there if your husband doesnt have a aussie (perth) truck licence then he may have to take his tests again ie I have a class 1 in England and from what I have been told that from january 2006 any oversea's truck licence holders have to resit there tests again, ie 7.5 ton = an MR so please check this out. I am in Perth and I earn $16.80 an hour and most weeks I take home $700 -750 a week, if you want casual work the pay is $20-24 an hour the only plus side there is loads of work out there, if you want to pm me for any advise or contacts I will try and help in anyway I can. Paul
Old Sep 29th 2006, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wife Beater

Yes, from what ive previously read, $80k wouldnt be the "average" wage. He will have an army pension from the UK to "help" bump up the wages. But its not a huge amount.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 9:53 am
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla
Yeah, mining truckies excepted but you have got to get in the mines first. Ever heard of nepotism? Been there done that.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rangersman
Hi there if your husband doesnt have a aussie (perth) truck licence then he may have to take his tests again ie I have a class 1 in England and from what I have been told that from january 2006 any oversea's truck licence holders have to resit there tests again, ie 7.5 ton = an MR so please check this out. I am in Perth and I earn $16.80 an hour and most weeks I take home $700 -750 a week, if you want casual work the pay is $20-24 an hour the only plus side there is loads of work out there, if you want to pm me for any advise or contacts I will try and help in anyway I can. Paul
Thanks Paul...have sent you a PM.

Tracy
Old Sep 29th 2006, 10:21 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

You would also get family allowance from CentreLink and with 3 kids can be quite substantial, maybe $200 a week depending on your situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.