British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   wages (examples) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/wages-examples-279998/)

ashlee1980 Jan 25th 2005 9:26 pm

wages (examples)

any plumbers in any areas willing to share there wage to give a real estimate of the true earnings

also any other jobs i.e shop work electricians teachers etc
to try and help other out

thanks in advance

cresta57 Jan 25th 2005 9:37 pm

Re: wages (examples)

Originally Posted by ashlee1980
any plumbers in any areas willing to share there wage to give a real estimate of the true earnings

thanks in advance

The Sparkies that do all the work on our jobs are a Brisbane mob and the rate for "on the books" is $17.70 p/h Rate for casual is $22 p/h but no holiday pay etc.
The plumber is self employed and his prices vary on every job so it wouldn't be fair to quote a rate for him. If he has to do any work on an hourly rate he charges $35 p/h which is about average.

jwinch Jan 25th 2005 10:31 pm

thanks in advance

My husband has just got his first plumibg job over here (Only got a provisional Licence), he doing a trial for a company on $28 per hr - to be reviewed at the end of the trial

Carrianne Jan 26th 2005 3:34 am

Hi,

Hubby is a chippy when he was on the books he got 25 dollars an hour, self employed he can get between 30 -40 dollars an hour. He also works local. Which is good money for the coast.

walla Jan 26th 2005 6:29 am

thanks in advance

if there is a big demand for a particular type of labour one can negotiate one's salary :)

kmunce Jan 26th 2005 10:10 am

Originally Posted by walla1
if there is a big demand for a particular type of labour one can negotiate one's salary :)

How bout brickies?? My husband will be looking on the sunshine coast for work...

Carl B Jan 26th 2005 10:50 am

Originally Posted by kmunce
How bout brickies?? My husband will be looking on the sunshine coast for work...

...and any idea of what the average hourly rate is for a sheet metal worker?

shazza2003 Jan 26th 2005 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Carl B
...and any idea of what the average hourly rate is for a sheet metal worker?

hi has anybody got any idea of wto the hourly rate is for a painter and decorator in the brisbane area

wattle Jan 26th 2005 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by shazza2003
hi has anybody got any idea of wto the hourly rate is for a painter and decorator in the brisbane area

when i was in australia 10 years ago no one had wallpaper, alot of windows were aluminium so didnt need painting etc. So unless things have changed alot or unless you were hoping to do contract work for new builds... i'm not sure what work you were hoping for...

now while were on teh subject - anyone know the wage for commercial floor layers/finishers?

Lynn W Jan 26th 2005 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by wattle
when i was in australia 10 years ago no one had wallpaper, alot of windows were aluminium so didnt need painting etc. So unless things have changed alot or unless you were hoping to do contract work for new builds... i'm not sure what work you were hoping for...

now while were on teh subject - anyone know the wage for commercial floor layers/finishers?

I think it is really difficult to give comparisons, we are looking for wages for Car mechanics and have been looking at situations vaccant in brisbane. Lots of jobs no salaries given. The only help we can all get is from others who who are already in oz. !

THANX ! :) :) :)

possoms Jan 26th 2005 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Carrianne
Hi,

Hubby is a chippy when he was on the books he got 25 dollars an hour, self employed he can get between 30 -40 dollars an hour. He also works local. Which is good money for the coast.

HI my other halfs a chippy $25 a hour is that about £8 thats bloody terrible half of what hes on here :( hate to think what unskilled wages are ie stacking shelves in woolies?

just answered my own question check this out

http://www.yesaustralia.com/trab-quantoing.htm

marson Jan 26th 2005 6:12 pm

Re: wages (examples) Floorlayer

Originally Posted by wattle

Floor Layers!
As a matter of fact, yes, while on our reccie last April, we stayed in a Motel in Kangaroo Point, and a family had just started their new life and had in fact found work in a town called Carendale, just north of Brisbane.
After negotiation, a very long interview and all the proof of qualification and experience, the company arrived at a figure of AU$100,000 a year, which was less than he was paid in Portsmouth for the same job, but enough for his family.

Carrianne Jan 27th 2005 12:30 am

Possom,

I understand where you are coming from but please, try not to compare to U.K wages. it does not work like that. Hubby was on that in pounds in the U.K

Salaries are all relative, to cost of living and lifestyle to compare to the U.K as many do on this forum, makes no sense. Wait till you are here.

The Coast doesn't pay well at all, but 25 - 30 dollars is a reasonable wage.

mlbonner Jan 27th 2005 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Carrianne
Possom,

I understand where you are coming from but please, try not to compare to U.K wages. it does not work like that. Hubby was on that in pounds in the U.K

Salaries are all relative, to cost of living and lifestyle to compare to the U.K as many do on this forum, makes no sense. Wait till you are here.

The Coast doesn't pay well at all, but 25 - 30 dollars is a reasonable wage.

Completely agree - despite a payrise, I'm only slightly on more than I was in the UK. However, when I worked it out in terms of average wage etc, I'm actually better off. Its not just as simple as converting using the exchange rate, you need to take into consideration how much the lifestyle costs in dollars, while earning dollars :)

ABCDiamond Jan 27th 2005 12:55 am

Originally Posted by possoms
HI my other halfs a chippy $25 a hour is that about £8 thats bloody terrible half of what hes on here :( hate to think what unskilled wages are ie stacking shelves in woolies?

just answered my own question check this out

http://www.yesaustralia.com/trab-quantoing.htm

That link quotes average wages for 2001 :)

The average wage in Australia for a worker (2001 census) is A$ 464 per week.
Current Average Weekly Earnings figures from Australian Bureau of Statistics are:

Private sector Full-time adult total earnings $978.30 pw
Public sector Full-time adult total earnings $1,099.10 pw