Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are wages that bad?

Are wages that bad?

Old Feb 17th 2005, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about
Default Are wages that bad?

Morning All,

Don’t take this as a professional vs trades argument or anything just a general question. I read a lot of post saying that wages on oz are lower for the same job they did in England. I have looked into jobs in Australia for both my wife and myself. The money paid for her occupation, Accounting seems to be fairly well paid. My question would be is there a huge gap in wages for most occupations, as compared with the UK, or are trades people paid less?

Regards
Old Feb 17th 2005, 10:02 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are wages that bad?

Originally Posted by Gethy
Morning All,

Don’t take this as a professional vs trades argument or anything just a general question. I read a lot of post saying that wages on oz are lower for the same job they did in England. I have looked into jobs in Australia for both my wife and myself. The money paid for her occupation, Accounting seems to be fairly well paid. My question would be is there a huge gap in wages for most occupations, as compared with the UK, or are trades people paid less?

Regards
Speaking as an accountant - Having looked at the job websites I agreee that wages seem comparable after you take into account the lower costs of living (particularly away from Sydney / Melbourne). The question on my mind is whether I will be able to get a job at the same level or whether I will run into anti-pom feelings. I am not accusing Australians of any sort of nationalism here as if I was in their position I would tend to shy away from a migrant just off the plane who isn't familiar with local customs who may not fit in and could possibly turn around in 2 months and head back to the UK because they failed to settle.

So the point I am getting around to (eventually ) is that I suspect the a major part of the lower wage expectations (for me at least and I have seen plenty of similar accounts) is due to starting a couple of rungs down the ladder while I establish myself again. TBH I don't mind that if it means a less stressful role while we settle in.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by worzel

So the point I am getting around to (eventually ) is that I suspect the a major part of the lower wage expectations (for me at least and I have seen plenty of similar accounts) is due to starting a couple of rungs down the ladder while I establish myself again. TBH I don't mind that if it means a less stressful role while we settle in.
Hi Worzel,

We have been looking at Assitant Accountants in and around Sydney/Melbourne, the seem to get 40 - 50k. Looking at the job descriptions my wife feels she would be best to go for this level and work her way up. But as you said "TBH I don't mind that if it means a less stressful role while we settle in" if we can afford to live on this, plus what i can get (Civil Engineering), then we would prefer to have less money but more time for ourselves . I was kinda thinking that in a professional occupation, I have found, descrimination is less acceptable. Most companies should have policies etc, but it does come down to who ever interviews you.

Regards
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:24 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gethy
Hi Worzel,

We have been looking at Assitant Accountants in and around Sydney/Melbourne, the seem to get 40 - 50k. Looking at the job descriptions my wife feels she would be best to go for this level and work her way up. But as you said "TBH I don't mind that if it means a less stressful role while we settle in" if we can afford to live on this, plus what i can get (Civil Engineering), then we would prefer to have less money but more time for ourselves . I was kinda thinking that in a professional occupation, I have found, descrimination is less acceptable. Most companies should have policies etc, but it does come down to who ever interviews you.

Regards
I agree. Having watched A Place in the Sun last night on tv and heard a few other stories it seems the interview process is far more involved in Australia. Warren from Go Bananas had about 5 different interviews I think and cv's (resumes) are supposed to be long (the opposite of the UK). Hopefully this will give me more opportunity to sell myself. In a perfect world I would get a job with an Australian arm of a UK firm or vice versa so I actually have something the natives don't (and the occassional business trip to the UK would be most welcome too).
Old Feb 17th 2005, 3:05 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by worzel
Speaking as an accountant - Having looked at the job websites I agreee that wages seem comparable after you take into account the lower costs of living (particularly away from Sydney / Melbourne). The question on my mind is whether I will be able to get a job at the same level or whether I will run into anti-pom feelings. I am not accusing Australians of any sort of nationalism here as if I was in their position I would tend to shy away from a migrant just off the plane who isn't familiar with local customs who may not fit in and could possibly turn around in 2 months and head back to the UK because they failed to settle.
Maybe in the job interview you should make it clear to them that you are in OZ for good, you think its a fantastic country and have no intention of going home, you have already a house lined up you plan to buy, even if this is not all the truth.

Old Feb 17th 2005, 4:05 pm
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by aussie73
Maybe in the job interview you should make it clear to them that you are in OZ for good, you think its a fantastic country and have no intention of going home, you have already a house lined up you plan to buy, even if this is not all the truth.
I thought of that. I might say to them they can write into my contract I will sacrifice a months pay if I leave within 12 months to return to the UK. I doubt they would do it but it should show commitment.