wages 30% lower

Old May 14th 2004, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

gary.jepp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wages 30% lower

wages in oz are in general a lot lower than uk ,can the standard of living as that good as i have heard?
Old May 14th 2004, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Of course it depends!

If you move out here and you are from the South East, you will probably think it is a lot cheaper than someone moving from Northern England/ Scotland etc,(as housing is much more expensive)

If you have equity from your Uk to bring with you then you might be able to get a much smaller/ no mortgage out here in which case your cost of living will be significantly lower.

If you are not brining any money and are moving to an average area then you will might find it a bit of a struggle. There are some people on here that have got high paying jobs though, some paying even more than in the Uk.

You need to check out you wages from job sites and the price of housing.

www.realestate.com.au is a good start when looking for houses.

It still might be worth moving out here if you want the lifestyle, after all it is not all about money. A lot of families are happier even though financially they are no better off.

Good luck!
Old May 14th 2004, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

sigourner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: wages 30% lower

Originally posted by gary.jepp
wages in oz are in general a lot lower than uk ,can the standard of living as that good as i have heard?
Hi Gary

Have a look at this site

http://www.gomatilda.com/calculator/index.cfm#

it does a calculation on how much you would have to earn to have the same sort of lifestyle in Australia. In my mind I wouldn't have thought that the financial side would be that much of a deciding factor, it is more the way in which people live over there compared to over here. And of course the weather
Old May 14th 2004, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

gary.jepp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cheers

thanks for the reply tintag,i very much hope we will not have a mortgage in oz as we should arrive with $420 ,but that does not help me that much as i am the wrring type. I am a bricklayer and i have heard the money is around $180 a day self employed , does not sound that great to me maybe i worry too much.
Old May 15th 2004, 3:33 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: wages 30% lower

Originally posted by sigourner
Hi Gary

Have a look at this site

http://www.gomatilda.com/calculator/index.cfm#

it does a calculation on how much you would have to earn to have the same sort of lifestyle in Australia. In my mind I wouldn't have thought that the financial side would be that much of a deciding factor, it is more the way in which people live over there compared to over here. And of course the weather
Have you used that calculator ?

It seems a bit confusing.

But basically it divides your UK income by 1.36 to give you the result.

I am not sure how accurate that will be, as costs vary depending where you are.

Old May 15th 2004, 3:54 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Wages are half of what I earn here in the US as well, at least half if not more...then again, I can live in Brisbane for about as half (if not less) than what I do here in Dallas.

Especially freakin' food. Anyone who seriously thinks Texas is the land of big steaks needs to bring big money with them.
Old May 15th 2004, 3:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Ulujain
Wages are half of what I earn here in the US as well, at least half if not more...then again, I can live in Brisbane for about as half (if not less) than what I do here in Dallas.

Especially freakin' food. Anyone who seriously thinks Texas is the land of big steaks needs to bring big money with them.
Eating out over here can vary too..

We can get a steak dinner for $5.95 in one place or $29.95 in another, and I am sure some will be even higher than that

Old May 15th 2004, 4:24 am
o_0

T-bone steak averages $11 to $14 a pound here in Texas. That's pound, not kilogram. How much is it there in Australia per kilogram?
Old May 15th 2004, 4:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Ulujain
T-bone steak averages $11 to $14 a pound here in Texas. That's pound, not kilogram. How much is it there in Australia per kilogram?
I pay $7.99-$9.99 for T-Bone (per Kilo), but that's at my local Butchers. It can be $18 or more at the supermarket.

Guess why I don't buy my steak at a Supermarket

Old May 15th 2004, 4:34 am
o_0

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I pay $7.99-$9.99 for T-Bone (per Kilo), but that's at my local Butchers. It can be $18 or more at the supermarket.

Guess why I don't buy my steak at a Supermarket
Goddamn...a third of the freakin' price it is here. No, I never bought meat (except my favourite smoked cod) at a supermarket either back home. I miss the good old Aussie butcher.