WA Welfare Work

Old Sep 7th 2006, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

mariekske is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb WA Welfare Work

Me again... Very curious this time to find out if there is anyone that is working or has experience with Welfare work in Australia/WA. For example what kind of work/jobs there are, the salary, if u can work in special (day) care with young children etc etc. I am trying to go over as a welfare worker and don't really have a cl;ue how things are organized, if there is enough work, etc etc. I am a cloggie (dutchie) and a Social worker in origin on Holland, but my skills were assessed as a Welfare worker.
Anybody?
Old Sep 9th 2006, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: WA Welfare Work

Originally Posted by mariekske
Me again... Very curious this time to find out if there is anyone that is working or has experience with Welfare work in Australia/WA. For example what kind of work/jobs there are, the salary, if u can work in special (day) care with young children etc etc. I am trying to go over as a welfare worker and don't really have a cl;ue how things are organized, if there is enough work, etc etc. I am a cloggie (dutchie) and a Social worker in origin on Holland, but my skills were assessed as a Welfare worker.
Anybody?
NOBODY...?????
Old Sep 9th 2006, 9:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WA Welfare Work

NOBODY...?????
The only one I can think of is someone that was a social worker, I think, and went back to the UK from Perth a year or so back. I'll try and find them for you.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 9:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The only one I can think of is someone that was a social worker, I think, and went back to the UK from Perth a year or so back. I'll try and find them for you.
Try searching for posts by Jirrupin and karawara88 and you might come up with some info.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 9:22 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody?
To work as a Social Worker in Australia one needs a degree in Social Work. Why did they classify you as a welfare worker, do you just have a diploma in Social Work?

In WA Social Workers get paid between $40k and $55k ish, not as much as the UK.

To work with children one needs a police check and a Working With Children Card.

What do you mean by "special day care? Are you alluding to working with children with disabilities?
Old Sep 9th 2006, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: WA Welfare Work

Originally Posted by walla
To work as a Social Worker in Australia one needs a degree in Social Work. Why did they classify you as a welfare worker, do you just have a diploma in Social Work?

In WA Social Workers get paid between $40k and $55k ish, not as much as the UK.

To work with children one needs a police check and a Working With Children Card.

What do you mean by "special day care? Are you alluding to working with children with disabilities?
Cheers everybody for the replies!
I will look for Jirrupin and Karawara88, thanks!
I do have a bachelor degree in Social work, but the Ozzies find my courses more comparable to their Welfare section than Social section... I was graduated in '99 and the content of the course outlines probably differents from the ones in Oz. Bloody ozzies, haha.
Old Sep 10th 2006, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Darwin Days is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers everybody for the replies!
I will look for Jirrupin and Karawara88, thanks!
I do have a bachelor degree in Social work, but the Ozzies find my courses more comparable to their Welfare section than Social section... I was graduated in '99 and the content of the course outlines probably differents from the ones in Oz. Bloody ozzies, haha.

Hi, I am interested in your message as I have just started the process of applying for migration to Australia as a Welfare Worker. I have the list of core competencies etc but have no idea where to start. Do you have any tips/advice as to where I start first as I am completely flabbergasted by the amount of info that will be necessary. I would appreciate any help and thank you in advance.

Many Thanks
Darwin Days
Old Sep 12th 2006, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: WA Welfare Work

Originally Posted by Darwin Days
Hi, I am interested in your message as I have just started the process of applying for migration to Australia as a Welfare Worker. I have the list of core competencies etc but have no idea where to start. Do you have any tips/advice as to where I start first as I am completely flabbergasted by the amount of info that will be necessary. I would appreciate any help and thank you in advance.

Many Thanks
Darwin Days
Hmmm, hiya Drawin. Don't knwo if i can help you since i'm from the netherlands so I my education/course (social pedagogic care) must be different from yours. You can have a look at the website from either AASW (australian Association of Social Work) or AIWCW (Australian Institution of Welfare and Community Work). See, in my case my course (university) is a social worker course in Holland, but In Oz they see my course as Welfare.

When I send over my paperwork to the AASW they forwarded it for free to the AIWCW since australian standards and context of my education differented from theirs. Did you finish a Welfare Course, or how is it named, the qualification? . But I reckon the best thing to do is to look at the websites. Go to www.immi.gov.au or to google and just type AASW or AIWCW.
Good luck! If there is anything else that might be helpful for you, just let me know! In my case I had to send certified copies of my qualifications, a description of all the courses I completed (this is the MOST work) and a few other things which you can find on the checklists or website of IIWCW / AASW Good luck! Greetings, Marieke
Old Sep 13th 2006, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

NOBODY...?????
Hi there, I work in a local childrens Hostel, here in Bunbury WA, we are 2 hours south of Perth.
There are lots of places in Perth where you could probably work.
I would get in touch with DCD and see what they can offer you. You may get something before you come over.
Good Luck
Denise
Old Sep 13th 2006, 4:45 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: WA Welfare Work

Originally Posted by cranni
Hi there, I work in a local childrens Hostel, here in Bunbury WA, we are 2 hours south of Perth.
There are lots of places in Perth where you could probably work.
I would get in touch with DCD and see what they can offer you. You may get something before you come over.
Good Luck
Denise
Hi Denise, thank you for your answer!
A children's hostel, hmmm can u tell me soemthing about it? Is it like some sort of daycare? I worked in regular daycare for 5 years but would liike to work with childeren under 10 with special needs. Oh, sorry, I am dutch, so could u also explain to me what a DCD is...? Sounds good anyway that they might arrange work!!!
Lots of greetings, Marieke!
Old Sep 13th 2006, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Denise, thank you for your answer!
A children's hostel, hmmm can u tell me soemthing about it? Is it like some sort of daycare? I worked in regular daycare for 5 years but would liike to work with childeren under 10 with special needs. Oh, sorry, I am dutch, so could u also explain to me what a DCD is...? Sounds good anyway that they might arrange work!!!
Lots of greetings, Marieke!
Hi there, I work in a hostel for kids where foster placement has broken down, in a way we are their last resort.
The kids are aged up to 16, and live there, it is their home.
The kids have some sort of problem, usually from abuse.
Its not an easy job, and is a real challenge. But its the job i choose to do, and i hope i can put these children on the right road. Or at least make a difference to their lives. DCD is the Dept of childrens services.
If your plan is to live in Perth you would have to get in touch with the office in Perth, or even the Education sector, if you plan to work wih children with special needs. I only have contacts for South west, not Perth
Hope this helps
Denise
Old Sep 13th 2006, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: WA Welfare Work

Originally Posted by cranni
Hi there, I work in a hostel for kids where foster placement has broken down, in a way we are their last resort.
The kids are aged up to 16, and live there, it is their home.
The kids have some sort of problem, usually from abuse.
Its not an easy job, and is a real challenge. But its the job i choose to do, and i hope i can put these children on the right road. Or at least make a difference to their lives. DCD is the Dept of childrens services.
If your plan is to live in Perth you would have to get in touch with the office in Perth, or even the Education sector, if you plan to work wih children with special needs. I only have contacts for South west, not Perth
Hope this helps
Denise
Cheers Denise, every little bit of information helps!!! Tahnk you so much. I hope I can ask you more questions if I have more... So working with kids with disabilities or special needs goed under welfare work? That;s such a relief to hear. The ozzie system must be so different than the one from Holland!
Lots of greetings, Marieke