WA v VIC v SA

Old Apr 3rd 2010, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Stressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the rough
Default WA v VIC v SA

Hello lovely people.

Looking at making the move in 2013 so trying to get as much info as possible. Initially we were drawn to Perth - lovely weather, beaches etc. (It also looks great on WDU - which couldn't be said for Melbourne) . However, reading up on BE it seems that Perth may be great for a couple of yrs & then the boredom sets in.

So read up on Melbourne and from what I can make out it is very, very popular with those who have settled there (not many threads of packing up & moving back to the UK here !) Property prices however, seem to be a bit of a problem so ...

Looked at Adelaide, affordable but may not have the buzz of Melbourne/Perth - but again not too many complaints.

We are looking at a fact finding trip maybe 2011 or 2012 but because I am applying for a 176 visa - I have to decide on which state within the next few weeks.

We would appreciate any advice from those who have given it at least 2yrs over there and would be particulalry interested to hear from those who have moved interstate.

We don't want start a slagging match here - just some good friendly advice from all you lovely people who have made a new life in a new country.

We are a family of 5 (3 boys 18,14 & 10 at time of move). We like the good weather (can't stand grey skies), exploring and want to do so much more as a family I must add that we currently live in a village in the UK so we won't be leaving a big city life

Thank-you.

Last edited by Stressed Eric; Apr 3rd 2010 at 3:09 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WA v VIC v SA

I live in WA, but personally would say try SA or Vic if you think you will get bored.

Its more difficult and costly to visit other states from WA. Something we want to do but with 4 kids just havent got around to it.

If you lived in SA you could actually drive to Melbourne for the weekend (or the other way around).
Ive spoken to Australians who say they can visit all the other states during school holidays because they live in SA or Victoria. Its much easier and so more choice to keep you from getting bored.

Gems
Old Apr 4th 2010, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in SA, but had to move cause DH couldn’t get any jobs in his Profession as an engineer, we then moved to Qld because of job offer, then he was made redundant twice.
He is now working in WA while we are living in Qld, we can’t afford to have another move, unless his company offers us relocations package.

I cant give you much information on WA as I haven’t lived there, but we did live in Vic (Melbourne) when we came on business visa 14 years ago, I wished we moved there when we emigrated to Australia rather than try another state, we wouldn’t have wasted so much money or time.

I loved living in SA & settle in so quickly, but my eldest son who was around 16/17 years old at the time, hated SA so much, as he found it very boring, he loves it in Qld, it has more life for young people even thought everybody goes to bed by 8.30 - 9pm.

What do you do?
Old Apr 4th 2010, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

We live in Victoria, and would say come and try here first. As said before it is a great state in it's own right and very easy to see other parts of Australia. It took us about an hour to fly to Tassie, just over that to Sydney. We have driven to Adelaide in 10 hours and Sydney in 12 (we have 2 smallish children so lots of stops) as well as Merimbula up in NSW and Canberra. We have even been surprised by how good the weather has been since being here. Good luck on your choice, it's certainly one that needs lots of thought.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 7:36 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stressed Eric
Hello lovely people.

Looking at making the move in 2013 so trying to get as much info as possible. Initially we were drawn to Perth - lovely weather, beaches etc. (It also looks great on WDU - which couldn't be said for Melbourne) . However, reading up on BE it seems that Perth may be great for a couple of yrs & then the boredom sets in.

So read up on Melbourne and from what I can make out it is very, very popular with those who have settled there (not many threads of packing up & moving back to the UK here !) Property prices however, seem to be a bit of a problem so ...

Looked at Adelaide, affordable but may not have the buzz of Melbourne/Perth - but again not too many complaints.

We are looking at a fact finding trip maybe 2011 or 2012 but because I am applying for a 176 visa - I have to decide on which state within the next few weeks.

We would appreciate any advice from those who have given it at least 2yrs over there and would be particulalry interested to hear from those who have moved interstate.

We don't want start a slagging match here - just some good friendly advice from all you lovely people who have made a new life in a new country.

We are a family of 5 (3 boys 18,14 & 10 at time of move). We like the good weather (can't stand grey skies), exploring and want to do so much more as a family I must add that we currently live in a village in the UK so we won't be leaving a big city life

Thank-you.
Just wondering why you ruled out NSW and QLD?
Old Apr 4th 2010, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Stressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the rough

Thank-you again to all you lovely peeps

Mohogony, Chris and Faridehwe (sorry to hear about your difficult situation) in answer to your Q's we have ruled out NSW & QLD not through choice but due to SS which as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer I can only get for WA, VIC, SA, TAS & NT. As I said before we did manage to get it down to WA & VIC initially but now SA has crept into the equation. We have never been to Oz so it's a matter of what we pick up from the internet & wonderful sites such as this, but really we are going in blind. We will visit our chosen state (if we get the Visa) before we go, but for now it's research, research, research
Old Apr 4th 2010, 3:29 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Mohogony, Chris and Faridehwe (sorry to hear about your difficult situation) in answer to your Q's we have ruled out NSW & QLD not through choice but due to SS which as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer I can only get for WA, VIC, SA, TAS & NT. As I said before we did manage to get it down to WA & VIC initially but now SA has crept into the equation. We have never been to Oz so it's a matter of what we pick up from the internet & wonderful sites such as this, but really we are going in blind. We will visit our chosen state (if we get the Visa) before we go, but for now it's research, research, research
As housing prices in Melbourne are very expensive and Adelaide more affordable , l think If you don't have enough cash to buy a large enough house in a reasonably good suburb of Melbounre but can afford to do so in Adelaide then your better off living in Adelaide as long as you can get work there.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:09 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

COBHAM AIR have a large set up at Adelaide airport......mm
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:43 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

If you think bordem in Perth might be a problem then Adelaide is not for you!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:55 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
If you think bordem in Perth might be a problem then Adelaide is not for you!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...60#post8425660
Make yer mind up sunshine, you knock Adelaide, then praise the place in another thread...........mm
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:44 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

whichever you choose make sure you do plenty of research as im pretty sure all the states you have mentioned as options have a bit in the SS application to state why you want to settle there.

good luck
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Will do
Old Apr 5th 2010, 9:54 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
whichever you choose make sure you do plenty of research as im pretty sure all the states you have mentioned as options have a bit in the SS application to state why you want to settle there.

good luck
Don't like to suggest this, as I have state sponsorship visa and intend to live in the state I am sponsored by, but my understanding is that once granted the 176 gives you the right to live anywhere in Oz, not just in the state which sponsored you....the 2 years liveing/working there bit is a "gentlemans agreement"...

As I say - I'm only suggesting it, but if you've never been to Aus before then you might get sponsored by WA for example , but if a job offer came up in VIC or you just liked the look of it you could go!

Hmph (at me for even suggesting it!)

S.DOg
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

S.DOg,

SE
Old Apr 7th 2010, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Hello lovely people.

Thank-you.
If your not looking at city living and prefer a more rural area within easy drive of Melbourne Airport- look at Lancefield and Gisborne areas

If beach side living is a must , Perth (SOR ) is still not too expensive ()
and an easy drive to Perth Airport -50min to 1hr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.