Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WA teen has leg bitten off by shark

WA teen has leg bitten off by shark

Old Dec 2nd 2006, 4:50 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default WA teen has leg bitten off by shark

www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20858863-2,00.html
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 5:29 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: WA teen has leg bitten off by shark

Just saw this on the ABC site. What a horrible thing to happen... especially to such a young lad.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:16 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WA teen has leg bitten off by shark

Poor kid! He's lucky to be alive though given that a bit like that can cause massive blood loss.
Kids of that age are so resillient, luckily, and prosthetic limbs are so good these days. Little comfort to him or his parents, but at least he's alive. What a rare thing to happen.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 9:05 am
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Poor kid! He's lucky to be alive though given that a bit like that can cause massive blood loss.
Kids of that age are so resillient, luckily, and prosthetic limbs are so good these days. Little comfort to him or his parents, but at least he's alive. What a rare thing to happen.
I heard about this on way home from work this morning, they said had it not been for a speedy response from friends who stemmed the blood loss so well he wouldnt have survuved the attack.

Get well soon mate.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Showing Hubby this when he gets home on Monday, this is the reason why I keep telling him and the kids WON'T be going surfing, ok so chance are your more likely to be hit by a car, but being attacked by a huge fish and given injuries like that or worse scare the poop outta me ( yep I was a little kid when I first saw JAWS and the subsequent films - think I was about 7 when I first watched it and all I could think was what a terrifying way to go).

I had no idea there was a shark called the white pointer until I googled it and saw it was a Great White Shark

I hope he makes a good recovery

Jen
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Only 4 replies?

The spider ones get more than that!
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Only 4 replies?

The spider ones get more than that!
Lol oh the spider ones are scarey 8 hairy legs instead of the two of my husband i'm used to dealing with isn't a pleasant thought out there.
But Overgrown fish with big teeth that has decided that surfer loks like a nice snack, no no no, it's just too horrible to even think about, Spiders are scarey but I can scrape by.

I think in general an encounter with spiddy you can avoid or chances are shouldn't end in death or loss of any body parts, now an encounter with old Jaws there I can't see him being too ken to swim past a swimming perosn or animal at least half his size and say hmmm nah don't think i'll try and eat that.

Jen
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 1:23 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JenJen
Showing Hubby this when he gets home on Monday, this is the reason why I keep telling him and the kids WON'T be going surfing, ok so chance are your more likely to be hit by a car, but being attacked by a huge fish and given injuries like that or worse scare the poop outta me ( yep I was a little kid when I first saw JAWS and the subsequent films - think I was about 7 when I first watched it and all I could think was what a terrifying way to go).

I had no idea there was a shark called the white pointer until I googled it and saw it was a Great White Shark

Jen
An average of 2 people per year are killed by sharks per year in OZ compared to 1,600 in car accidents, so if you don't let the kids go surfing you should definently not let them travel in cars. If someone had lost their leg in a car accident today it would'nt even make the news. The reason shark attacks make headline news is because they are so rare.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Dec 2nd 2006 at 1:27 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

An average of 2 people per year are killed by sharks per year in OZ compared to 1,600 in car accidents, so if you don't let the kids go surfing you should definently not let them travel in cars. If someone had lost their leg in a car accident today it would'nt even make the news. The reason shark attacks make headline news is because they are so rare.
lol i see your point.
But for me getting attacked and potentially eaten by an animal or mammal etc just terrifies me. Cars are controlled by people and I go on the assumption none of them want to die, although a few drivers seem to have a 'death wish'.
I'd be the same faced with a lion or a tiger, basically anything big enough to consider you a food source i just really want us to steer clear of.

Jen
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

True. And I'm sure the injuries are just as horrific. Obviously a shark attack might be more shocking etc but its not a reason to not go in the water
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 4:07 pm
Banned

lol i see your point.
But for me getting attacked and potentially eaten by an animal or mammal etc just terrifies me. Cars are controlled by people and I go on the assumption none of them want to die, although a few drivers seem to have a 'death wish'.
I'd be the same faced with a lion or a tiger, basically anything big enough to consider you a food source i just really want us to steer clear of.

Jen
Cars are not always controlled by people many fall asleep at the wheel are drunk, bad roads, bad weather and mechanical problems with cars cause people to loose control and crash and injuries inflicted by cars are just as horrific as those inflicted by animals. There was a case a few months ago in Mildura when a drunk ran over and killed 5 people walking along the side of a road, l have'nt heard of a shark killing 5 people at once.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Dec 2nd 2006 at 4:12 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

Cars are not always controlled by people many fall asleep at the wheel are drunk, bad roads, bad weather and mechanical problems with cars cause people to loose control and crash and injuries inflicted by cars are just as horrific as those inflicted by animals. There was a case a few months ago in Mildura when a drunk ran over and killed 5 people walking along the side of a road, l have'nt heard of a shark killing 5 people at once.
Having said all that I always make sure there are at least 5 people between me and the open sea when I am at Cottesloe
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 5:37 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Poor kid, how awful
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:34 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Jen
Your fear of sharks is conditioned rather than factual I'm afraid. I'd personally not try to transfer my unreasoned fear onto children and stop them enjoying the ocean which can be an intergral part of life in Australia for many.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

Very well aware of that seeing as my dad lost his right leg as the result of a drunken idiot behind the wheel. Unfortuantely altho over the limit at the scene he was under once they FINALLY got him back to the station. Ive been involved in car crashes too but it still does not scare me to drive.

I'm well aware it's a conditioned fear and I sound damn well irrational but all these years later it is still a HUGE fear that i've had sweat pouring nightmares about, I can't help it.
The kids are only allowed up to thigh height in the sea here, sharks have been spotted off our coasts and once I knew that, that was it, I can't help it and nothing is mentioned in front of the children and i'm well aware when they're older i'll have no say. Then the fear them out there will prob kill me off.

Jen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.