Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WA-school fees on a 457???

WA-school fees on a 457???

Old Sep 20th 2006, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

trippy t is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WA-school fees on a 457???

Hi there, really hoping someone can help me. Im trying to find out if we are required to pay school fees in WA whilst on a 457 temporary work visa?? Am looking through the internet but no luck so far.

I have a 4 yr old (who will be nearly 5 if we were to go in 6 months) but more concerned about the eldest. He is 16 (will be 17 in march). I am wandering what he could do out there for the 2 years we have to be temporary residents. He wont be allowed to work. Im not familiar with the education system yet(more research as we speak!) He would ideally like to go to college but if the fees are high for him & the 4 year old, not sure we could manage on 1 wage(i have a 2 year old, so wont be able to work much initially).

Im sorry if this has been covered already. But would really appreciate any info/advice anybody may want to share.

Many thanks(in advance)

trippy t [/FONT]

Last edited by trippy t; Sep 20th 2006 at 9:02 am. Reason: i wrote the title twice!
Old Sep 20th 2006, 9:20 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WA-school fees on a 457???

Originally Posted by trippy t
Hi there, really hoping someone can help me. Im trying to find out if we are required to pay school fees in WA whilst on a 457 temporary work visa?? Am looking through the internet but no luck so far.

I have a 4 yr old (who will be nearly 5 if we were to go in 6 months) but more concerned about the eldest. He is 16 (will be 17 in march). I am wandering what he could do out there for the 2 years we have to be temporary residents. He wont be allowed to work. Im not familiar with the education system yet(more research as we speak!) He would ideally like to go to college but if the fees are high for him & the 4 year old, not sure we could manage on 1 wage(i have a 2 year old, so wont be able to work much initially).

Im sorry if this has been covered already. But would really appreciate any info/advice anybody may want to share.

Many thanks(in advance)

trippy t [/FONT]
There are no school fees for public schools in Perth. You will have to pay a small contribution to the school coffers ($40 per child in my case) and pay for the childs school supplies (usually about $60 for my year 3 child). I believe it gets more as they go up through the grades as the supplies needed are generally more expensive, text books, calculators and the like.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 9:25 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

I can concur. We are here on a 457 - and pay nothing for state schooling - apart from the $90 to school and $100 'voluntary' contribution to the P & C (PTA to you and me). At the beginning of the school year you get a huge list of things to buy - right down to glue, scissors and feltpens - and this provides for the class for the year.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webgum
I can concur. We are here on a 457 - and pay nothing for state schooling - apart from the $90 to school and $100 'voluntary' contribution to the P & C (PTA to you and me). At the beginning of the school year you get a huge list of things to buy - right down to glue, scissors and feltpens - and this provides for the class for the year.
Hi all,

I phoned my agent today and he reckons it will cost around £400 a year per child. We are looking at going on a 457 also and was told we have to pay.
Help!!!! Whats right and whats wrong?

Regards
Nici
Old Sep 20th 2006, 11:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kato33
Hi all,

I phoned my agent today and he reckons it will cost around £400 a year per child. We are looking at going on a 457 also and was told we have to pay.
Help!!!! Whats right and whats wrong?

Regards
Nici
Did you look at the WA Education Department website? : start at http://www.wa.gov.au

Once child reaches 18, fees will be payable, irrespective of state.

Why not solve the problem at source and get sponsored for a permanent visa?
Old Sep 20th 2006, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: WA-school fees on a 457???

Originally Posted by JAJ
Did you look at the WA Education Department website? : start at http://www.wa.gov.au

Once child reaches 18, fees will be payable, irrespective of state.

Why not solve the problem at source and get sponsored for a permanent visa?
Hi JAJ,

I will sound really stupid now but how do I go about it.
Now I am confused

Nici
Old Sep 20th 2006, 11:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I will sound really stupid now but how do I go about it.
How do you go about what?
Old Sep 20th 2006, 11:38 am
JAJ
Retired

I have a 4 yr old (who will be nearly 5 if we were to go in 6 months) but more concerned about the eldest. He is 16 (will be 17 in march).
Do you plan to get permanent residence? If so, are you aware that if your son is aged 18 or over (at time application is decided) you will need to provide evidence of "dependency" - to DIMA's standards, not yours - otherwise his visa will be refused even if the rest of the family is accepted?
Old Sep 20th 2006, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
How do you go about what?
Getting sponsored for a permanent residence visa.
Agent said we can only apply on a 457 and that it would have to be temporary for 4 years.........

Nici
Old Sep 20th 2006, 11:49 am
JAJ
Retired

Getting sponsored for a permanent residence visa.
Agent said we can only apply on a 457 and that it would have to be temporary for 4 years.........

Nici
Download and read booklet 5:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/index.htm

There are requirements that both employer and employee must meet.

Presumably you're aware that unless you can get permanent residence, it's only a matter of time before whole family takes a one way trip home?
Old Sep 20th 2006, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Download and read booklet 5:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/index.htm

There are requirements that both employer and employee must meet.

Presumably you're aware that unless you can get permanent residence, it's only a matter of time before whole family takes a one way trip home?
Yes were are aware of that. I am just going by what the agent told us and he said we would have to be there for a certain amount of time before we apply for PR. There was never any mention of being able to be sponsored by a company for PR from the onset

Obviously you know alot about this so if you don't mind maybe I can PM you with any other questions I may have.

Nici
Old Sep 20th 2006, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by webgum
Thank you very much for your replys NORTHERNBIRD & WEBGUM. Its fair enough I think having to make a contribution...I was seriously expecting to have to pay a fortune for each child! This would definately have affected our decision as to whether we could go or not(well, husbands decision!). He is a lot more cautious than me.

Cheers
Old Sep 20th 2006, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: WA-school fees on a 457???

[QUOTE=JAJ]Do you plan to get permanent residence? If so, are you aware that if your son is aged 18 or over (at time application is decided) you will need to provide evidence of "dependency" - to DIMA's standards, not yours - otherwise his visa will be refused even if the rest of the family is accepted?[/QUOTE

We have been told we can be sponsored by a company in Bunbury WA on a 457 visa for 2 years. After that point we are eligible to apply for permanent residency by regional sponsorship(or something..still waiting for info to arrive). We will have to continue working for the same company for a further 2 years(4 in total) but permanent for the last 2 years. This is what I was told, but obviously I want to look into this further.....But back to the point(sorry!), so are you saying that when we apply for PERMANENT residency(inapprox 2.5yrs time) that if he is over 18 THEN (he will be 19), its possible he cant stay?? God, that doesnt sound too good.

I obviously need to look at the 'rules' of dependancy.....anyone have any ideas??

Thanks for the info though JAJ, need to be fully aware of all outcomes before we take the plunge.

trippy t
Old Sep 21st 2006, 12:02 am
JAJ
Retired

Yes were are aware of that. I am just going by what the agent told us and he said we would have to be there for a certain amount of time before we apply for PR. There was never any mention of being able to be sponsored by a company for PR from the onset

Depending on your skill level you may or may not be eligible for PR at the outset. And if job is in a regional area (including places like Adelaide), then RSMS is an option for PR even if you don't qualify for ENS.

The best advice I can give is read the booklet carefully and work from there.

Ask immigration questions on the immigration forum, you'll get more of a response.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 12:11 am
JAJ
Retired

We have been told we can be sponsored by a company in Bunbury WA on a 457 visa for 2 years. After that point we are eligible to apply for permanent residency by regional sponsorship(or something..still waiting for info to arrive). We will have to continue working for the same company for a further 2 years(4 in total) but permanent for the last 2 years. This is what I was told, but obviously I want to look into this further.....But back to the point(sorry!), so are you saying that when we apply for PERMANENT residency(inapprox 2.5yrs time) that if he is over 18 THEN (he will be 19), its possible he cant stay?? God, that doesnt sound too good.

I obviously need to look at the 'rules' of dependancy.....anyone have any ideas??
All the information on RSMS you need is in Booklet 5 : strongly recommended to download and read (carefully). Depending on your occupation and skill level you may be eligible for immediate PR under RSMS (or ENS, for that matter).

You need to be very carefully about the issue of dependency for your older son. DIMA's rules are strict. The booklet gives a guide.

You are better advised to ask immigration questions on the immigration forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.