WA migration

Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:07 pm
mark1

mark1 has a brilliant futuremark1 has a brilliant futuremark1 has a brilliant futuremark1 has a brilliant futuremark1 has a brilliant futuremark1 has a brilliant future
Default WA migration

Hello all I'm new here but have been lurking for a while. Her goes anyway......

Here's an interesting one. I will be doing my qualifications assessment through IE Australia shortly but need a bit of advise.
I will qualify as a Civil Engineering Technitian (2128-11) but am doing a CDR to try bump it up to Civil Engineering Proffesional (2124-11).

So far so good. If I do not get this upgrade I will not be able to go for General Skilled migration (or any other visa) as 2128-11 is not on the MODL.

I have seen that the WA Government have Civil Engineering Design Draughtsperson (3122-11) on the Skills in Demand list.
This is the same code as Civil Engineering Assossiate given in the ASCO list. This is regarded as below 2128-11 which I qualify for through the Sydney Accord according to IE Australia.

My problem lies with the fact that the WA Government does not have 2128-11 on the Skills in Demand list so do I ask IE Australia to say in my appraisal that I automatically recieve the 3122-11 if I get either the 2128-11 or the 2124-11.
Or do I go to the WA Government with my dilema first ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been trying for the last 4 years to get into Ozz.

Cheers
Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of
Default Re: WA migration

Hi

My situation is similar to yours so I would consider perhaps same route as follows.

I am engineer with a HND and have just got a positive assessment back from IEA within 3 weeks, however my Qualifications only get me a code of a technologist and not an engineer even though I have 20 years experience. With this being the case and the code on the WA STNI list being for engineers I then emailed the WA SMU who sponsors those with not enough points via STNI and they emailed back acknowledging my predicament and saying that just send in TRA with letter etc for the state sponsorship and they would sponsor me taking into account experience and technologist cose etc as the line between technologist and engineer is slim. Therefore my point is email SMU in WA and tell them the situation, this however only applies to STNI and not 136 but STNI is nearly as good. If this is not clear or you need more info please reply

Mick

Originally Posted by mark1
Hello all I'm new here but have been lurking for a while. Her goes anyway......

Here's an interesting one. I will be doing my qualifications assessment through IE Australia shortly but need a bit of advise.
I will qualify as a Civil Engineering Technitian (2128-11) but am doing a CDR to try bump it up to Civil Engineering Proffesional (2124-11).

So far so good. If I do not get this upgrade I will not be able to go for General Skilled migration (or any other visa) as 2128-11 is not on the MODL.

I have seen that the WA Government have Civil Engineering Design Draughtsperson (3122-11) on the Skills in Demand list.
This is the same code as Civil Engineering Assossiate given in the ASCO list. This is regarded as below 2128-11 which I qualify for through the Sydney Accord according to IE Australia.

My problem lies with the fact that the WA Government does not have 2128-11 on the Skills in Demand list so do I ask IE Australia to say in my appraisal that I automatically recieve the 3122-11 if I get either the 2128-11 or the 2124-11.
Or do I go to the WA Government with my dilema first ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been trying for the last 4 years to get into Ozz.

Cheers
Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:53 pm
mark1

mark1 has a brilliant futuremark1 has a brilliant futuremark1 has a brilliant futuremark1 has a brilliant futuremark1 has a brilliant futuremark1 has a brilliant future
Smile Re: WA migration

Cheers for that mate. Just a couple off questions to see that I am following.

Did you get a positive assessment from IE Australia for the 2128-11.
Did you try a CDR to bump it up to a 2124-11 ?
The 2128-11 is not on WA Skills in Demand list so when you fill out your STNI Visa for DIMA what ASCO code will you be putting down? I take it the letter from the WA government will state what code to put in, even though it sounds like the numer IE Aus gave you will not match the WA Skills list.

I think that is all. God I finally think I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 1:04 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

IE Aust is a very stuffy & old fashioned organisation. With them it's an engineering degree or nothing. Experience counts for little. The IEE is far more progressive, thet take experience into account in lieu of a degree.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

I got a positive assessment from IEA for Building Services Engineering Technologist 2128 - 79 based on my HND, no CDR as experience counts for nothing with the IEA or so I am told. WA skills list for STNI (where you only need 110 points for sponsorship) requires code of 2129 - 79 Professional Engineer. However as stated I emailed SMU who give sponsorship and gave my details ie 20 years experience and they emailed me back to say that they would welcome my experience and that I should apply anyway. As it stands my application is with WA waiting for the reply so fingers crossed all is ok or I am the creek myself. My application was sent by my agent with all the correspondence and a job offer of sponsorship which hopefully strengthened the case as it shows jobs are plentiful in engineering as they are. I turned down job sponsor to get perm STNI instead. Hope this answers your questions. Are you going STNI and how much experience do you have?

Cheers Mick

Cheers for that mate. Just a couple off questions to see that I am following.

Did you get a positive assessment from IE Australia for the 2128-11.
Did you try a CDR to bump it up to a 2124-11 ?
The 2128-11 is not on WA Skills in Demand list so when you fill out your STNI Visa for DIMA what ASCO code will you be putting down? I take it the letter from the WA government will state what code to put in, even though it sounds like the numer IE Aus gave you will not match the WA Skills list.

I think that is all. God I finally think I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 1:52 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
IE Aust is a very stuffy & old fashioned organisation. With them it's an engineering degree or nothing. Experience counts for little. The IEE is far more progressive, thet take experience into account in lieu of a degree.
IE Aust are a pain in the bum! Dh is a chartered engineer, and has a degree in engineering which the IEE were more than happy to accept, but IE Aust won't acknowledge his qualifications, despite the reciprocal agreement between them and the IEE. And it's costing us $500 for him to submit a career profile to them to get his chartered state recognised.

I honestly think the recognition of qualifications in Oz (or non-recognition, which is more appropriate) is a complete rip off.

Sue
Old Jan 6th 2006, 2:24 pm
mark1

Cheers for the info guys.

Sounds like I should not bother doing the CDR and go straight for what I know I will get (2128-11). As far as experiance goes I have only got 5 years but most of it involves design packages that there are few users of over there so I will play that as an advantage.

So by the sounds of things I will apply STNI with the WA Government once I have got my accreditation from the IE Australia. Sounds easy enough once you have been there two years to apply for a permanent visa.

Another point in my favour is that I have seen loads of job opportunities so I guess I will mention that I have been looking and applying as well.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Be careful that you dont need more thatn 5 years before applying as it may be 7, best speak to an agent on that one

Mick

Cheers for the info guys.

Sounds like I should not bother doing the CDR and go straight for what I know I will get (2128-11). As far as experiance goes I have only got 5 years but most of it involves design packages that there are few users of over there so I will play that as an advantage.

So by the sounds of things I will apply STNI with the WA Government once I have got my accreditation from the IE Australia. Sounds easy enough once you have been there two years to apply for a permanent visa.

Another point in my favour is that I have seen loads of job opportunities so I guess I will mention that I have been looking and applying as well.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 2:46 pm
mark1

All I have seen for time to be served is about 3 or 4 years for a 60 point job under the points test set by DIMA which I will make.

Will have to look at maybe getting an agent but it seems pretty straightforward though.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 6:15 pm
Loving Brisbane !!

Southgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud of

I had a wierd one. I got a degree in Civil Engineering in 1994 but haven't worked one single day as a Civil Engineer since then. However, IE Australia classed me as a 2124-11 Professional Civil Engineer. I guess I was just lucky.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 12:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
IE Aust are a pain in the bum! Dh is a chartered engineer, and has a degree in engineering which the IEE were more than happy to accept, but IE Aust won't acknowledge his qualifications, despite the reciprocal agreement between them and the IEE. And it's costing us $500 for him to submit a career profile to them to get his chartered state recognised.
You need to be a little more specific here.

First thing to be aware of is that CEng status *in itself* does not qualify for Washington Accord. The reason for this is that CEng can be obtained through a variety of routes, not all of which are covered by the Washington Accord.

You must have an undergraduate degree accredited by the Engineering Council UK or another Washington Accord country.

There's a database of accredited qualifications at http://www.engc.org.uk

Most UK engineering degrees are accredited by the EC-UK but some are not (how the universities get away with offering such non-accredited degrees is another question ... )

So if his degree is accredited and IEAUST are refusing to recognise it, then some serious questions need to be asked. But if his degree is not accredited, then he needs to do a CDR even if he is CEng. Or seek a Sydney Accord assessment as an Engineering Technologist if he has an IEng accredited qualification.

Jeremy
Old Jan 7th 2006, 1:29 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly think the recognition of qualifications in Oz (or non-recognition, which is more appropriate) is a complete rip off.

Sue
I can't be arsed to get assessed by IE Aust. I've been assessed by the IEE & they are happy to give me full MIEE status. I'm not going to grovel to IE Aust to get recognised by them. Right now in Perth, employers couldn't give a toss who recognised you, just that you can do the job. It makes no difference to the pay rates as well.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I can't be arsed to get assessed by IE Aust. I've been assessed by the IEE & they are happy to give me full MIEE status. I'm not going to grovel to IE Aust to get recognised by them. Right now in Perth, employers couldn't give a toss who recognised you, just that you can do the job. It makes no difference to the pay rates as well.
But without their recognition, we cannot get PR in less than two years...we're currently on a 457.

Sue
Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:34 pm
Proudly Deplorable

But without their recognition, we cannot get PR in less than two years...we're currently on a 457.

Sue
Good luck. I'm sure you'll sort it out.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
You need to be a little more specific here.

First thing to be aware of is that CEng status *in itself* does not qualify for Washington Accord. The reason for this is that CEng can be obtained through a variety of routes, not all of which are covered by the Washington Accord.

You must have an undergraduate degree accredited by the Engineering Council UK or another Washington Accord country.

There's a database of accredited qualifications at http://www.engc.org.uk

Most UK engineering degrees are accredited by the EC-UK but some are not (how the universities get away with offering such non-accredited degrees is another question ... )

So if his degree is accredited and IEAUST are refusing to recognise it, then some serious questions need to be asked. But if his degree is not accredited, then he needs to do a CDR even if he is CEng. Or seek a Sydney Accord assessment as an Engineering Technologist if he has an IEng accredited qualification.

Jeremy
Thanks for your reply, Jeremy, I've just shown it to dh. He confirms that his degree is not accredited with the EC-UK as it is from the OU. Seems daft that some degrees are acceptable and some aren't, but there you go....

He's practically finished putting the CDR together, but it's been an annoying holdup in our PR application and it's been hanging over us all the Christmas holidays so we'll be glad to get it submitted. At this rate we won't get the PR application in in time to avoid the repeated x-rays!

Sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.