WA Disadvantaged in the Potato Department

Old Apr 7th 2004, 7:53 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WA Disadvantaged in the Potato Department

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...E28737,00.html

Chip off the old bloc
By Asa Wahlquist
April 07, 2004
IF you're eating a potato in Western Australia, chances are it's a nadine. For the spud-lovers of Perth and Geraldton, this is not a good thing.

The nadine looks nice enough, clean and easy to peel. But it is a wet potato that collapses when roasted and disintegrates if boiled too long. Its only virtue is in the paddock, where it is a high-yielding variety.

"Nadines represent 60 to 70 per cent of all potatoes sold," Perth businessman Nick Tana says. "And they are tasteless."

As part of his assault on WA's potato regulation, Tana plans to bring in specialty potatoes from the eastern states, to "get a chef from one of our best restaurants to do a presentation, to show the quality difference". The tantalised consumer will then be informed that while their eastern cousins have access to these specialty varieties, they are not available in WA because of market regulation, and it is back to the less palatable nadine for them.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 7:54 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

No wonder pommie bastard whinged about the fries. There was me thinking he had a chip on his shoulder.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 12:44 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

After living here for 8 years, I'll be glad to see the back of potato's.....

Looking forward to more variety, sweet potato's, pumkin etc (it's actually not the difference so much with Oz, it' more the difference between town and big city!) Though, here in Holland, some people eat boiled potato's 4 or 5 times a week!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 12:47 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

They get the same problem in Jersey (where my parents live). New potatoes should really be the ones grown in Jersey, in the sandy soil. But Egyptian new pots are cheaper and tend to take over the market which is a shame as they are nowhere near as good. All this pressure means that potato farmers in Jersey have to get their crops out earlier and earlier so now much of the island is covered in plastic sheeting which looks terrible....
Old Apr 7th 2004, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Looks like we will have to grow some King Edwards in the garden then!!!! Or Maris Piper or wilja - the list goes on.

cheers pockygoes
Old Apr 7th 2004, 5:48 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Husband went out with a girl called Nadine! Explains alot!

Quote/ - The nadine looks nice enough, clean and easy to peel. But it is a wet potato.............etc etc....

"Nadines represent 60 to 70 per cent of all potatoes sold," Perth businessman Nick Tana says. "And they are tasteless."............/end quote

Honestly try telling an irish woman about spuds in Aus....and where are my frozen roasties Aunt Bessies!!!! I learns to love these in England.

I have long long stories about potatoes in Aus, can bore you silly, but in summary, they do not have good potatoes unless you cook em right!

Cheers