Virus Information
Discovery Date: 20/08/2002
Origin: Queensland, Australia
Length: seriously small
Type: Virus, Internet worm
SubType: E-mail, Download,
Description Updated: 24/8/3002 8:43 AM

Virus Characteristics
WogLife Technical support urge all readers to be on the lookout for an extremely dangerous, destructive and downright embarrassing virus which has attacked several computers in recent hours.

Called Kangarootha the worm arrives via an Internet email message with the following details

Subject: Bro! It's fully sick
Attachment: That Chick from PIZZA naaaaaked.SCR

The attachment is a UPX packed PE file. When executed on the local machine, the following image is displayed whilst the worm copies itself to the System folder, and uses Outlook to propagate itself to all address found in the Outlook Address book:

The following Registry key is added to ensure the worm is executed at subsequent system startup:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\_
Run 'stmgr' = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Im_a_shkippy_wannabe.scr

Upon restarting the machine, the worm does not propagate again, and the above image is not displayed. Instead the worm is intended to delete the following files from the infected machine:

*.COM and *.SYS from C:\
All R&B MP3 files located on the C: Drive

Kangarootha Virus
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:44 am
ABCDiamond

Default V variant of Netsky

This one may be a bad one too..

V variant of Netsky
Although it has not caused a significant number of infections, it stands out for the means of transmission it uses.

Unlike the majority of worms, Netsky.V does not hide in an attached file and wait for the user to run it, but exploits a vulnerability to download itself from another computer that it has already infected.

Virus Encyclopedia

Microsoft Patch for this

Old Apr 18th 2004, 6:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So having just resurrected this little toy from its last breakdown, can you experts tell me if up-to-date Norton protects against these???
Old Apr 18th 2004, 6:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Pollyana
So having just resurrected this little toy from its last breakdown, can you experts tell me if up-to-date Norton protects against these???
Not sure about Norton, as I don't use it.

But, for the first one, don't open any attachments ! That saves many problems

For the second, use the Microsoft patch update, I put the link on my post.
Even though the patch is dated Oct 2003, i only got an advise about the virus today, from my virus updates.

Old Apr 18th 2004, 6:32 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Pollyana
Unfortunately, the Kangarootha virus is extremely virulent and unquestionably has already escaped your computer during the optical transmission part of its life cycle.

Only known cure is to re-boot yourself.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:36 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: W32.Kangarootha Very serious

Originally posted by bondipom

Virus Characteristics
WogLife Technical support urge all readers to be on the lookout for an extremely dangerous, destructive and downright embarrassing virus which has attacked several computers in recent hours.

Subject: Bro! It's fully sick
Attachment: That Chick from PIZZA naaaaaked.SCR

Kangarootha Virus

Only known cure is to re-boot yourself.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:46 pm
ABCDiamond

I think I should read these posts from Bondipom more carefully

Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:11 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
lol!
I noticed the word Pizza....
And kangarootha sounded a bit suss too....
Oh and '...embarrassing virus...'

Old Apr 18th 2004, 11:01 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
He he
Hope you did not forward it on to everyone in your address book. Somehow I cannot see your HDD being full of R&B mp3s

Polly as long as you keep Norton up to date your PC should be protected. I would also make sure you run windows update regularly.

To protect against Kangarootha regular trips onto here and the odd flight to blighty should be enough preventative maintenance.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 11:10 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
He he
Hope you did not forward it on to everyone in your address book. Somehow I cannot see your HDD being full of R&B mp3s
Yep, you're right I keep telling my wife that I can't find out how to download music !! But then again, now I am on unlimited downloads I suppose I could give it a whirl again.
The problem that I found with kazaa, when I first used it, was that the recordings were not that good, so I gave up.

I get daily virus updates by email, and your one, at first glance, seemed in a very similar format, so I didn't even read it !!

But it was good

Old Apr 19th 2004, 3:21 am

The alerts to arrive every few hours although pervasive viruses seem to arise twice a week. I would avoid Kazaa and try something like DC++ or e-mule .
Old Apr 19th 2004, 4:07 am

gedge has disabled reputation

'Trust No One'
Not even bondipom!!!
Old Apr 19th 2004, 4:10 am

Originally posted by JulesandChris
'Trust No One'
Not even bondipom!!!
Never trust a Pommie down Bondi.