Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

VOOVIT shipping: what I saw at the docks...

VOOVIT shipping: what I saw at the docks...

Old May 6th 2004, 12:29 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough
Default VOOVIT shipping: what I saw at the docks...

Hi there!
A few months ago before I arrived in Melbourne on my DeFacto visa I was recommending Voovit shipping on this forum because they seemed the cheapest and most efficient.

Today my boxes were ready to collect (two weeks late) and every box (5 in total) was falling apart - photographs and cd's were spilling out the corners. The people at the freight handling company were nice about it - and looked at the boxes and said they were some of the better Voovit boxes they had seen. They took me to the Voovit part of the warehouse and some boxes were totally smashed up, with clothes and personal items spilling onto the floor totally ruined. They said they had advised Voovit several times on the weak boxes they supply their customers (recycled low grade cardboard apparently) - but had no response. So if you use them - take out insurance and put a sturdier box inside their boxes as a second line of defence. Hope this helps someone!

Last edited by joninoxford; May 6th 2004 at 12:33 pm.
Old May 6th 2004, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Cheeky Mouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: VOOVIT shipping: what I saw at the docks...

Originally posted by joninoxford
Hi there!
A few months ago before I arrived in Melbourne on my DeFacto visa I was recommending Voovit shipping on this forum because they seemed the cheapest and most efficient.

Today my boxes were ready to collect (two weeks late) and every box (5 in total) was falling apart - photographs and cd's were spilling out the corners. The people at the freight handling company were nice about it - and looked at the boxes and said they were some of the better Voovit boxes they had seen. They took me to the Voovit part of the warehouse and some boxes were totally smashed up, with clothes and personal items spilling onto the floor totally ruined. They said they had advised Voovit several times on the weak boxes they supply their customers (recycled low grade cardboard apparently) - but had no response. So if you use them - take out insurance and put a sturdier box inside their boxes as a second line of defence. Hope this helps someone!

Hi There,

I used Voovit coming to Canada and it wasn't too bad (although it was about 3 weeks late and not on the ship they said it was haha!)
But the advice that I'll add is to tape the boxes up like there's no tommorrow! Took me ages to cut the stuff off but nothing fell out. A few Cd cases got a bit smashed up but then I expected little things like that might happen.
They're definately cheap but I think they're best for moving smaller, not so valuable items!

Good Luck to everyone!
Old May 6th 2004, 1:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

One of the few good things I will say about my lousy removers and shippers is that they did supply decent boxes. I used lots of tape, but all the same the boxes were mega-strong, and are still being used here for storage.
Ideally you need double strength cardboard, not the wimpy things you see in supermarkets. Don't know the official name but they were sold to me as Export Quality boxes, and they certainly did the job.
Old May 6th 2004, 2:47 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by Pollyana
One of the few good things I will say about my lousy removers and shippers is that they did supply decent boxes. I used lots of tape, but all the same the boxes were mega-strong, and are still being used here for storage.
Ideally you need double strength cardboard, not the wimpy things you see in supermarkets. Don't know the official name but they were sold to me as Export Quality boxes, and they certainly did the job.

sorry for hijacking, but did you buy the boxes direct from the shippers? or were they included in the cost?

oh and polly, well done on reaching the big 4000!
Old May 6th 2004, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm
We are having pickfords come in to pack us up. Can I make them add more tape to the boxes (they will think I am some kind of control freak!) or should I get my own tape, hijack the box on the landing and go for my life?!
I am guessing Pickfords will have decent boxes coz everyone tells me positive experiences when using them.
Old May 6th 2004, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Cheeky Mouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jasper pentop
Hmmm
We are having pickfords come in to pack us up. Can I make them add more tape to the boxes (they will think I am some kind of control freak!) or should I get my own tape, hijack the box on the landing and go for my life?!
I am guessing Pickfords will have decent boxes coz everyone tells me positive experiences when using them.

Just go for it! I'm sure they've seen it all!

Good luck on your move and have a wonderful time over there.
Old May 6th 2004, 9:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scutter,

spotted my 4000 then!!!!

The boxes were on top of the cost - about £3 which sounds a lot, but it certainly bought peace of mind as they were brand new and very strong. They are now stacked 5 deep in the spare room, and still in good shape!
Old May 6th 2004, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Cestrian is an unknown quantity at this point

I used www.excessbaggage.co.uk (who boast of the strongest boxes!). They were fine.
Old May 7th 2004, 12:01 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

crown relocations were excellent, used lots of packing paper and boxes were very strong too...not a single item broken.

they also packed absolutely everything...all we did was ensure that nothing got packed that shouldnt have been.No need to tell em about using more tape etc..they used loads of the stuff!!!!