Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Volunteer Firefighting

Volunteer Firefighting

Old Dec 14th 2003, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of
Default Volunteer Firefighting

I'm interested in signing up as a rural volunteer firefighter when I get to NSW.

I've read over the website http://www.bushfire.nsw.gov.au but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who is, or has been involved before I get in touch directly.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 4:33 pm
Badge

Default Re: Volunteer Firefighting

Mate, I would also be interested in doing this, but Mrs B worries I'll get singed. I wanted to volunteer last year but you need PR.

Let me know how you get on.

Badge

Old Dec 14th 2003, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

My wife is not too keen either, especially as we have a littlun, but I think the pros outweigh the cons. She is right about the risks though, there's an interesting page on how they're spending 100s of thousands of dollars trying to figure out how to turn the fire-engines into safe havens if the fire goes the wrong way.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 5:38 pm
Badge

I was reading the physical tests on the NSW site last year during the height of the bush fires, and they seem doable, but as I'm short, not sure if I there is a height requirement - in the UK there is a chest expansion minimum which I would be OK on...

their site is working strangely so I cannot reproduce here...

maybe we can also turn this thread in to a fire prevention one - eg. protecting your home, as we all have a need to protect our homes and fight our own fires on our own turf..

Badge

Old Dec 14th 2003, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by badgersmount
I was reading the physical tests on the NSW site last year during the height of the bush fires, and they seem doable, but as I'm short, not sure if I there is a height requirement - in the UK there is a chest expansion minimum which I would be OK on...

their site is working strangely so I cannot reproduce here...

maybe we can also turn this thread in to a fire prevention one - eg. protecting your home, as we all have a need to protect our homes and fight our own fires on our own turf..

Badge
Well I hope not too, as I may not always be as mighty as my avatar!

It's definitely something to think about if we wind up living rural. The practice of "burning off" is something I faill to understand.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 8:46 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

If I lived closer to the country I would but by the time I got to any fires from Bondi it would be too late.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by bondipom
If I lived closer to the country I would but by the time I got to any fires from Bondi it would be too late.
And if you had to start fighting fires that had reached Bondi then I think you'd be a tad late too : )
Old Dec 14th 2003, 8:57 pm
Badge

My Aunt has almost lost her house in outer Sydney twice in 10 years now, had their bags packed and ready for the knock on the door..

BM

Old Dec 15th 2003, 1:07 am

Originally posted by CHnJ
And if you had to start fighting fires that had reached Bondi then I think you'd be a tad late too : )
That would mean the end of the Eastern Burbs.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 1:55 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by badgersmount
Badge
I'd be up for that. One of the 'prevention' items I've specified in my house plans is a sprinkler system - for the house. I saw the plans in a DIY magazine, where the bloke added it to his house after the house was built, so the pipes were on the outside. I'd prefer them built into the framework. Then high pressure pumps to douse the whole house and surrounds if threatened by fire, backed up with a BIG water tank.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 5:08 am

Do not put mulch or plants near the house as the stuff is like tinder and once in flames will ignite the house. Regularly do hazard reduction eg remove broken branches, rakes up leaves.

Do not leg it from your house when a fire comes through but put out spot fires when the fire has passed. The heat radiation of the fire is not what ignites the house. It is the spot fires that ignite a house.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by bondipom
That would mean the end of the Eastern Burbs.
Don't worry BP .. that's what I meant,
Old Dec 16th 2003, 5:36 am

Originally posted by CHnJ
Don't worry BP .. that's what I meant,
The end of the Latte set. Oh well.

Anyway back on bushfires. The CSIRO reckons well watered gardens reduce the risk of the house turning to charcoal. The advice does conflict with that given in a drought though.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...336890222.html