Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The volcano and travel insurance

The volcano and travel insurance

Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default The volcano and travel insurance

We leave for the UK in about 6 weeks. Does anyone know how best to protect ourselves with a travel insurance policy? Does the airline carry the cost of flight disruptions? We are also heavily exposed on accommodation costs, as we're staying in holiday cottages. What would you do?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:26 am
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future
Default Re: The volcano and travel insurance

read the fine print on any travel insurance you do get. your airline should reschedule you but you accomodation is another matter. read the fine print carefully. you get what you pay for when it comes to insurance.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

It is a natural disaster that is happening so you are unlikely to be covered for anything however, the airline should get you on the next available flight - that might be several weeks down the line though.

You may be covered for hotel accommdation if you have paid upfront and with a credit card but I am not entirely sure.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:34 am
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

contact your accomodation provider directly as soon as you can. you might be able to come to some sort of agreement with them. lots of people will be holidaying at home so they may be able to do something for you.

you could look at resceduling to a few weeks later on if possible.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

It would be a bit difficult to re-schedule, as the trip is planned around the break between university semesters here. We also wanted to avoid the UK summer school holiday period. My next uni break is mid-November, not a great time to travel in the UK. If I don't complete all my uni stuff this year, I would have to wait a whole year to graduate and start earning some money.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:58 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
It is a natural disaster that is happening so you are unlikely to be covered for anything however, the airline should get you on the next available flight - that might be several weeks down the line though.

You may be covered for hotel accommdation if you have paid upfront and with a credit card but I am not entirely sure.
That's not the case. Airlines under European law are obliged to provide reimbursement for accommodation and food for any passengers which are stranded or alternatively compensation for another method of getting back home (within reason).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8621779.stm

This doesn't apply to any passengers on any subsequent flights hereafter - only those that are currently stranded.

Last edited by Kalenge; Apr 19th 2010 at 12:11 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I am assuming the OP isn't stranded though.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:19 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
I am assuming the OP isn't stranded though.
I was specifically referring to your assertion that a person isn't covered if it's a natural disaster. This is actually the BIG cost for airlines that's got them all worried.