British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Vodafone Pre-pay in Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/vodafone-pre-pay-australia-546283/)

ianbrown Jul 1st 2008 4:39 pm

Vodafone Pre-pay in Australia

Hi Folks..........Sorry probably a silly question to you Poms over there, but how does this work??...........you pay for your credit and then its capped?, does any un-used credit roll over or do you lose it on the date you should re-top up?...................sorry to be naive but it's hard to get my head round :confused:

Centurion Jul 1st 2008 7:27 pm

Re: Vodafone Pre-pay in Australia

You pay the cap amount, say $49 which gives you $250 of call credit (I think and cant be bothered to look it up on the website). This credit will expire 1 month later for any unused amount. Obviously if you use all your credit earlier in the month you will have to add more.

divaboy Jul 1st 2008 9:30 pm

Would a uk locked vodafone phone work with a Australian vodafone sim card ?

Sorry for slight thread hijack :)

Kooky. Jul 1st 2008 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 6523860)
You pay the cap amount, say $49 which gives you $250 of call credit (I think and cant be bothered to look it up on the website). This credit will expire 1 month later for any unused amount. Obviously if you use all your credit earlier in the month you will have to add more.

That's exactly how it works, and the cheapest one is $29 for which you get, IIRC, $130 worth of credit. Call charges are relatively high but I've had one for 2 months now (and previously every time we visited) and haven't run out.

(note to self - aargh, runs out today; must go top up.)

divaboy - no idea, sorry, but sure it's been discussed before so try search. I do know they work in various unlocked handsets we have from all over the world, although a bit dodgy in the US one but then most non-US ones seem to be.

northernbird Jul 1st 2008 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by divaboy (Post 6524328)
Would a uk locked vodafone phone work with a Australian vodafone sim card ?

Sorry for slight thread hijack :)

No it needs to be fully unlocked. 2 entirely different companies.

GinaUK Jul 2nd 2008 2:56 am

Originally Posted by babyboo2101 (Post 6523344)
Hi Folks..........Sorry probably a silly question to you Poms over there, but how does this work??...........you pay for your credit and then its capped?, does any un-used credit roll over or do you lose it on the date you should re-top up?

Depends which plan you go for. If you go for one of the Vodafone capped plans, then you pay a set amount, get additional free credit, but it all expires after a month. There are other plans as well where your credit does not expire.

When we first arrived we used the Vodafone $29 cap. Paid $29, got a total of $130 credit. This was useful when we didn't have a landline.

Now, I no longer use the capped plan. We now have a landline and I hardly use my mobile. So, now I am on the Vodafone 360 plan. I pay $20 (I could choose to pay more), that's all the credit I get, but it doesn't expire for 360 days.

On the PAYG plans, each time you re-load credit on to it, you can change your plan. Look at the Vodafone website; there are loads of options.

Gina

DunRoaminTheUK Jul 2nd 2008 3:08 am

Originally Posted by babyboo2101 (Post 6523344)
Hi Folks..........Sorry probably a silly question to you Poms over there, but how does this work??...........you pay for your credit and then its capped?, does any un-used credit roll over or do you lose it on the date you should re-top up?...................sorry to be naive but it's hard to get my head round :confused:

Who you calling POM, you POM? :D

Virgin pre-pay never rolled over minutes when I was pre-pay. Can't speak for Vodafone though (evil company - worked for them for 2 years..ewww).

ianbrown Jul 2nd 2008 6:22 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies:)