vodafone?

Old May 11th 2003, 11:10 am
Just Joined

monty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default vodafone?

hi all
arrive in nz in august and am wondering about my mobile phone. is there vodafone in nz and if so does anyone know if i can transfer my uk account to nz? if so could i still keep my tel no and phone?
thanks all
martin
Old May 11th 2003, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: vodafone?

Originally posted by monty
hi all
arrive in nz in august and am wondering about my mobile phone. is there vodafone in nz and if so does anyone know if i can transfer my uk account to nz? if so could i still keep my tel no and phone?
thanks all
martin
WHY ???
Old May 11th 2003, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: vodafone?

hi all
thanks all
martin
Vodafone operate in NZ. You can't 'transfer' your UK account or number to NZ - it can't be done. Yes your UK SIM card will work in NZ if you bring it over (global roaming - you would have to ask vodafone in the UK to enable this Before you left the UK) HOWEVER it is extremely expensive, as you pay for both calls made AND calls received.

Get your UK phone unlocked before you bring it over, then get either a Vodafone NZ pay-as-you-go SIM card, or sign up for a monthly bill (cheaper)

To give you an idea, I'm on Vodafone's Daytime 100 plan, which gives 100 'free' anytime minutes a month, monthly fee of $70 ex GST. Extra minutes are $0.50 peak (daytime) or $0.40 off-peak (nights & weekends). Txt messages cost $0.20c per msg.

Russ.
Old May 11th 2003, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

hello
thanks for that info.
the reason why i want to take my mobile with me is because i've sent loads of cv's out with my mobile no on. if i want work and i'm on the move i need to be contacted!
how do i get the mobile unlocked?
no it's not vanity!!
thanks, martin
Old May 11th 2003, 9:16 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

hello
thanks for that info.
the reason why i want to take my mobile with me is because i've sent loads of cv's out with my mobile no on. if i want work and i'm on the move i need to be contacted!
how do i get the mobile unlocked?
no it's not vanity!!
thanks, martin
Most phone retailers offer an "unlocking" service expect to pay about £15 quid for each phone. Before that you could try some other network sim cards in your phone as a check as not all phones are locked.
Sean
Old May 11th 2003, 9:24 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

re getting your phone unlocked -
Assuming your phone is currently SIM locked, you need to contact your service provider here in the UK, or pay someone else to do it - apparently the cost is about £20.

HOWEVER - all this will do is allow you to put a different SIM into the phone - it won't solve your problem regarding wanting to migrate a UK number to NZ.
The problem here is that your UK mobile number is just that - a UK number. Just as you wouldn't expect to be able to take your BT fixed line number with you to NZ, you shouldn't expect to take your UK mobile number with you.

Also, don't forget the SIM is the number - not the phone.

PM if you want more details regarding mobiles, although I don't know anything about phone unlocking.

walaj
Old May 12th 2003, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Unhappy

thanks for that.
i think i'll cancel the phone and count my losses. they'll have to rely on my e-mail address instead.
too bad i've only just managed to remember the number!
martin