Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

voadpahone sim card australia info

voadpahone sim card australia info

Old Aug 19th 2003, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default voadpahone sim card australia info

i have recently purchased an australian sim card in advance for my trip to oz in jan 04 for 12 months, i was wondering how vodaphone compaired with other mobile operators over in oz.

and what like was the coverage around oz, im not going to change it but just needed to know what people have thought of them that used them.

i will be using a payg sim with my phone which will be unlocked before i go
Old Aug 19th 2003, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

weefi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: voadpahone sim card australia info

Originally posted by brian.w
i have recently purchased an australian sim card in advance for my trip to oz in jan 04 for 12 months, i was wondering how vodaphone compaired with other mobile operators over in oz.

and what like was the coverage around oz, im not going to change it but just needed to know what people have thought of them that used them.

Hi,
I used payg vodafone while in Oz and will use them again when I go back this year. Virgin boast better coverage but the service I got from them wasn't worth the hassle,hanging on for hours trying to get through to customer services etc! Signal can be a bit intermittent in remote areas but generally OK for travelling.
Have fun,
Fi
Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Out of interest, where did you get the card from. I'm off to Aus in October and had thought about getting a SIM card whilst I was there - but if I can get one before I go, so much the better.

Kev
Old Aug 20th 2003, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

Following on from this, which are the service providers in Oz? Are there four/five, like in England?
Old Aug 20th 2003, 1:36 pm
owieb

what was the reason for buying one before you come?

some mobiles don't work over here when a new sim is put in them. My girlfriends phone wouldn't work, that was Ericsson T? (can't remember the number, but it was only a couple of years old), where as mine did (and that was 4 years old).

Coverage around Perth is fairly good, move out the main areas and it's a bit patchy.

Old Aug 20th 2003, 1:37 pm
owieb

Originally posted by Gavin B
Following on from this, which are the service providers in Oz? Are there four/five, like in England?
Telstra, Optus, Virgin, Vodafone, 3......off the top of my head, sure there's others.

Old Aug 20th 2003, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Is there one that most people use?
Old Aug 20th 2003, 1:54 pm
owieb

Originally posted by Gavin B
Is there one that most people use?
Couldn't really tell you what the spread is, I originally used Vodafone, and am now currently on Optus. I only changed because they were the only ones selling the phone i wanted.

3 have being pushing hard lately, they are selling the video phones and seem quite popular, infact they are practically giving the phones away.

The other companies I haven't any experience of, depends what kind of package/deal you want.

Old Aug 20th 2003, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, appreciate that info. I'm expecting the same mobile phone sharks over in Oz as there are in England though!
Old Aug 20th 2003, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by owieb
what was the reason for buying one before you come?
A previous poster on this subject decided to get a sim first so they could have an Australian phone number to put on CV's for sending out just prior to, or immediately on, arrival in Australia.

(there are older posts on this ng where the various providers have been discussed)
Old Aug 20th 2003, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by young_lad
(there are older posts on this ng where the various providers have been discussed)
after a quick search here's a couple....

thread 1

thread 2

thread 3

there are probably more threads to be found