Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visting Australia while visa is processed

Visting Australia while visa is processed

Old Oct 7th 2004, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

of2oz is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Visting Australia while visa is processed

We have just received STNI approval from Victoria and are about to submit the full pack to DIMIA. I am visiting Australia mid Nov to early Dec in order to see my sister- based in Sydney, and to look at schools/areas and meet my new employers.(hubbys really jealous - but we cant both go)

We have just realised that I may be in Oz when the Visa is granted - thus invalidating it!!!!!! :scared:

Has anyone else ever had this problem, how did you get around it?
Do we contact DIMIA when we get our case number and ask them not to approve it until after I return???

Any comments welcome

Paula
Old Oct 7th 2004, 10:03 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visting Australia while visa is processed

Originally Posted by of2oz
We have just realised that I may be in Oz when the Visa is granted - thus invalidating it!!!!!! :scared:
I'm sure I read on the Immigration forum that your STNI will override the ETA, rather than the other way around. So long as the PR isn't granted while you're in mid-air you'll be OK Probably wise to tell DIMIA about your trip though, just to play it safe.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

of2oz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wmoore
I'm sure I read on the Immigration forum that your STNI will override the ETA, rather than the other way around. So long as the PR isn't granted while you're in mid-air you'll be OK Probably wise to tell DIMIA about your trip though, just to play it safe.
Hi Wmoore
Sorry dont quite understand the reply - bit thick !!!
If I submit the final visa application with meds/police checks to DIMIA by the end of next week, then tell the Vic govt my case number so that they can confirm my state approval. This will take a couple of weeks, then they hopefully process the PR visa application and maybe grant approval while Im on my trip (if they are really quick) , wont this visa be invalidated according to the guidance, cos I was in Oz at the time????
Old Oct 7th 2004, 10:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You tell DIMIA that you will be in Australia from XX to YY, then they don't grant the visa until you return.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 6:10 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by of2oz
Hi Wmoore
Sorry dont quite understand the reply - bit thick !!!
If I submit the final visa application with meds/police checks to DIMIA by the end of next week, then tell the Vic govt my case number so that they can confirm my state approval. This will take a couple of weeks, then they hopefully process the PR visa application and maybe grant approval while Im on my trip (if they are really quick) , wont this visa be invalidated according to the guidance, cos I was in Oz at the time????
What Polly said
So long as you tell them the dates you will be in Oz, they won't actually grant the visa until after your trip. Although I wouldn't worry a great deal anyway, I can't see it being granted in 6 weeks. Better safe than sorry though.