Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visitors from UK

Visitors from UK

Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitors from UK

Originally Posted by jensteve
Yep its very hard especially if they don't seem to have the intelligence to find things to do on their own.

Have figured out now that moving to the bush is a great deal as friends and family will only stay a few days before going to the city and a hotel, I thought of that one months ago and said to Steve that people just wouldn't stay out of the metro area and travel everyday from the bush to see and do something, great, we finally have it sorted, visitors in small amounts having to hire a car and go to a hotel, so after all my mumblings the answer to the problem of visitors is simple move somewhere that is in the middle of no where, no shops etc, they will stick it for a few days before going off and doing their own thing!!
Jenny
Good job you're in Perth then. It's isolated I hear
Old Dec 28th 2007, 1:42 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Good job you're in Perth then. It's isolated I hear
Not all of it I can assure you. I wouldn't live in 'the bush' if I were paid too. To me it is ugly, dry and depressing.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:21 am
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

Hi All
Just a quickie to thank you all for your suggestions and support.

Hubbies parents flew back to the uk this morning, a month early. Things got worse before they went, but such is life. I don't think they will ever be back, and I can't say I'm upset.

Have learned a few lessons as far as my own in laws are concerned. To anyone else expecting visitors, please start out as you mean to go on it can save a lot of trouble in the long run.

Happy New Year to all

Cal xXx

Last edited by Wickedsid; Dec 30th 2007 at 6:22 am. Reason: Missing info
Old Dec 30th 2007, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Marissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wickedsid
Hi All
Just a quickie to thank you all for your suggestions and support.

Hubbies parents flew back to the uk this morning, a month early. Things got worse before they went, but such is life. I don't think they will ever be back, and I can't say I'm upset.

Have learned a few lessons as far as my own in laws are concerned. To anyone else expecting visitors, please start out as you mean to go on it can save a lot of trouble in the long run.

Happy New Year to all

Cal xXx
Best wishes to you for the New Year, looks like it will be a good one after all, without the whinging poms

You would think your in-laws would have had something more positive to say. They should be proud of you both, it's not the easiest of things to do, move to the other side of the world to start a new life.

This is to all of you on this forum, how many of you have lost your so called "friends" since emigrating. My OH's friends have totally disowned us since emigrating 2.5 years ago. These weren't just casual friends but ones that he went all through school with. He tried to keep in touch with them for the first 12 months, but it was a one way street and might as well have banged his head against a brick wall. It will be interesting to see if a few years down the line that they want to come to visit as one always said that he would come for his 40th birthday. It's true what they say, "There is nowt as funny as folk" at times
Old Dec 30th 2007, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Marissa
Best wishes to you for the New Year, looks like it will be a good one after all, without the whinging poms

You would think your in-laws would have had something more positive to say. They should be proud of you both, it's not the easiest of things to do, move to the other side of the world to start a new life.

This is to all of you on this forum, how many of you have lost your so called "friends" since emigrating. My OH's friends have totally disowned us since emigrating 2.5 years ago. These weren't just casual friends but ones that he went all through school with. He tried to keep in touch with them for the first 12 months, but it was a one way street and might as well have banged his head against a brick wall. It will be interesting to see if a few years down the line that they want to come to visit as one always said that he would come for his 40th birthday. It's true what they say, "There is nowt as funny as folk" at times
I think I must be very fortunate as I have been in Australia for nearly 36 years and haven't lost my friends
We were all very close when growing up, working etc and we are still as close today. We phone, send emails etc...the only thing is, none of them have visited me here in Australia. I am not complaining though as some of them simply can't afford it and one is extremely disabled and needs constant care.
But they phone me often and send emails, not just the ones who stayed in Britain but some who emigrated to Canada. It's great to hear their voices. I have been back quite a few times and spent most of the time with them
Yes I really think I am fortunate
Old Dec 30th 2007, 7:51 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
I think I must be very fortunate as I have been in Australia for nearly 36 years and haven't lost my friends
We were all very close when growing up, working etc and we are still as close today. We phone, send emails etc...the only thing is, none of them have visited me here in Australia. I am not complaining though as some of them simply can't afford it and one is extremely disabled and needs constant care.
But they phone me often and send emails, not just the ones who stayed in Britain but some who emigrated to Canada. It's great to hear their voices. I have been back quite a few times and spent most of the time with them
Yes I really think I am fortunate
Great to have friends like that! You are very fortunate indeed Vin
Old Dec 30th 2007, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tum
Great to have friends like that! You are very fortunate indeed Vin
Many thanks tum ...and each and every one of them have been there for me when I needed them ....Bin.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice

Posted by Marissa

The next lot of guest that we get are family and they are coming out for our wedding in 13 months time. I do think it will be easier to tell family if they are out of order. If any more friends wish to come, I think we will either be on a 6 weeks cruise or we have no room as there's already someone staying.
One top tip, is make sure you talk to your next lot of guests about how awful your last lot of guests were. Try to be subtle, but if you have lots of conversations about 'how they didn't pick up after themselves' and 'never took themselves out for the day' etc, then hopefully your next lot of guests will agree and take the hint for when they come. Its a lot easier than saying it to someone when they first arrive.

If they all know each other, then talk about a 'friend of yours who had nightmare guests' and just change the details slightly so its not obvious!

I think it is because that people travel so far, spend so much money and take time off that they feel you owe them, although funnily enough if you go back to visit, you will be the one expected to do all the running around as you chose to leave. However, when it comes down to it they are getting free accommodation and an amazing holiday.

We always have people to stay at ours but point out that they would really be missing out if they didn't book a few days away visiting other sites. It keeps everyone sane!

WithIce x