Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visitors from UK

Visitors from UK

Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Visitors from UK

Six more days and they'll be gone ...then you can take it nice and easy and figure out what you will say to your next lot of 'guests'
I know I have had my fill of them.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:38 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
I so know my Girl...I have visitors at the moment and even though they are delightful there is a real issue in putting across the 'we still have a real life' thing rather that giving the idea that our life is one big holiday.
It is very hard isn't it. We had visitors one Easter that copped the hump 'cos we couldn't go out with them all the time, night and day. They've come in from their daytime activities, showered and sat down waiting for their dinner, while I've been at work all day, come home to clear up the towels they've left on the bathroom floor, put washing on etc etc., then prepare dinner and also packed lunches for OH and son, only to be asked, "whats for dinner tomorrow" and then be told, "oh we won't eat that, so we'll go out to eat!" We even took the wine and beer when we went out to a BYO restaurant with them and they didn't contribute a single cent to the household, not even an Easter egg.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mand8002
I sometimes wish that we had people who wanted to visit, but when I read the problems some have maybe it is good that no one wants to come.
Couldn't agree more
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:44 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
It is very hard isn't it. We had visitors one Easter that copped the hump 'cos we couldn't go out with them all the time, night and day. They've come in from their daytime activities, showered and sat down waiting for their dinner, while I've been at work all day, come home to clear up the towels they've left on the bathroom floor, put washing on etc etc., then prepare dinner and also packed lunches for OH and son, only to be asked, "whats for dinner tomorrow" and then be told, "oh we won't eat that, so we'll go out to eat!" We even took the wine and beer when we went out to a BYO restaurant with them and they didn't contribute a single cent to the household, not even an Easter egg.
SHOCKING!
Old Dec 27th 2007, 2:07 pm
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Makes me wonder how those people acted when you still lived in England
They're probably wolves in sheepskin

Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:47 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tum
Makes me wonder how those people acted when you still lived in England
They're probably wolves in sheepskin

http://www.woolywonder.com/forums/im.../HolySheep.gif
Nice as pie in England. They were in holiday mode from start to finish, so I guess they thought as they'd paid for their flight and had their spending money, then the maids come in and make the beds, pick up the towels etc..
Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Marissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant future

Well, she has proved my point that she doesn't listen. They came back from a day at the beach and she had a bright red face and chest and shoulders. We have reminded them a few times about the sun screen and replies from her are "Oh, I will do it later" and leaves it to her OH to do the kids coz "I can't be arsed with all this mess when I have got a hangover" So I had a good laugh to myself when in they came back, him and the kids were fine and she was suffering. It will be interesting to see what she come back llike today, as it is forecast 34 and it was only 25 the other day.

They offered to take my 19 year old daughter with them today to swim with dolphins.......she declined........I wonder why?

Well must go, got the hotel to clean while the gets are away (sorry guests or maybe I was right the first time)
Old Dec 28th 2007, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Marissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
Six more days and they'll be gone ...then you can take it nice and easy and figure out what you will say to your next lot of 'guests'
I know I have had my fill of them.
The next lot of guest that we get are family and they are coming out for our wedding in 13 months time. I do think it will be easier to tell family if they are out of order. If any more friends wish to come, I think we will either be on a 6 weeks cruise or we have no room as there's already someone staying.

I certainly won't be spending my xmas holidays this way again, especially when I work full time myself and only get 4 weeks annual leave and 2 weeks of that is a shut down at xmas, as I think I would have gone back to work and took time off when they were gone.

Well never mind, as you say, only six more days to suffer!
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:45 am
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

Hi Everyone
A while since I have posted but I was drawn to this thread,

We have had a few visitors since we arrived here two years ago, my hubby's brother and family, fab, shared the cost of the shopping straight down the middle, took turns cooking, cleaning etc, we all went out together when we could and just seemed to all get along fine. Hubby's best mate turned up without telling us, a fab surprise, done all the cooking as his share of staying ( a chef, Mmmmmm), and no probs at all. A couple we have known for years turned up and also got stuck in and didn't expect to be waited on etc etc.

Hubby's mom and dad came out the first of November and are staying until Jan 31st. I truly want to shot them or myself. They have whinged since we met them at the airport. Nothing is good enough for them, the food isn't english,it's too hot, there are far too many dangerous insects and they have to spray the beds and the bedroom and the ensuite before even thinking of sleeping.
We paid half for the airfares and paid for them to stay in Singapore overnight.

They do not want to go anywhere, they spend most of the day slagging Australia and let us know in no uncertain terms that we are mad as hatters

To make things worse they already left Birmingham where we are all from to move to Fleetwood ,Near Blackpool, due to feeling unsafe etc, and they think we should have moved to be by them instead of emigrating.

The worst part is that hubby won't have them upset for anything so I dare not just speak my mind, they are old too and I don't want to upset them either, but I do not know how I am going to get through the rest of the time until they go.

Everyday those hundred little digs and comments said to me behind hubbies back and to our three daughters, are taking a toll, if I am told how to make a bed or cook a roast one more time I will erupt.

Sorry for ranting on but needed to offload a little.

Cal xXx
Old Dec 28th 2007, 3:22 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Wickedsid
Hi Everyone

We have had a few visitors since we arrived here two years ago, my hubby's brother and family, fab, shared the cost of the shopping straight down the middle, took turns cooking, cleaning etc, we all went out together when we could and just seemed to all get along fine. Hubby's best mate turned up without telling us, a fab surprise, done all the cooking as his share of staying ( a chef, Mmmmmm), and no probs at all. A couple we have known for years turned up and also got stuck in and didn't expect to be waited on etc etc.

Hubby's mom and dad came out the first of November and are staying until Jan 31st. I truly want to shot them or myself. They have whinged since we met them at the airport. Nothing is good enough for them, the food isn't english,it's too hot, there are far too many dangerous insects and they have to spray the beds and the bedroom and the ensuite before even thinking of sleeping.

They do not want to go anywhere, they spend most of the day slagging Australia and let us know in no uncertain terms that we are mad as hatters

To make things worse they already left Birmingham where we are all from to move to Fleetwood ,Near Blackpool, due to feeling unsafe etc, and they think we should have moved to be by them instead of emigrating.

The worst part is that hubby won't have them upset for anything so I dare not just speak my mind, they are old too and I don't want to upset them either, but I do not know how I am going to get through the rest of the time until they go.

Everyday those hundred little digs and comments said to me behind hubbies back and to our three daughters, are taking a toll, if I am told how to make a bed or cook a roast one more time I will erupt.

Cal xXx
I feel for you. When the snide remarks are said out of OH's earshot, just say loudly, "Sorry, can you repeat that please, I didn't hear you". Maybe then they'll get the hint.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:42 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cal,

Being a bit wicked why don't you book a cabin for you, your
husband and kids for a weekend and let them fend for themselves.
Just tell your husband that you need it to keep sain for the rest
of the time the inlaws are staying.

Or....if your husband doesn't want too, go with your
girls and have an all girlieweekend. He can have quality time
with his parents etc. You know your family best,
so I don't know if this is doable, but you owe it to yourself (and
deserve it too) to
take good care of you and your girls (don't know how old they are).

Take care,
Miranda xx
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:52 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Cal xXx
I would give them a book and tell them to write down all of their complaints no matter how silly. Also place a dictaphone to record the snide remarks and then give everything to your partner and say 'I love your family so very much but perhaps you could tell me how to deal with this because I don't know'.

On a more serious note, I do think a serious talk with your partner is in order before you get really resentful.

Failing that, put laxatives in their food and remove all toilet roll and then tell everyone that you are going away for a few days on business - leave hubby to deal with it.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:54 am
tum
destination Cairns

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Failing that, put laxatives in their food and remove all toilet roll and then tell everyone that you are going away for a few days on business - leave hubby to deal with it.
Exactly!
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:10 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone

Cal xXx
Hi Cal.
Sounds like they are jealous.... They're trying to justify to themselves how you live and how they live and they can't... And they know it!
They're complaining to bring everything down, so that if they can say that it's bad, then they make themselves feel better about their choices...

Now you on the other hand, saw something much better for yourselves, got off your arses and came and got it.

They can't handle that. Bagging Australia is their way of keeping themselves safe... of keeping the scary thoughts at bay... the scary thoughts of 'Why haven't we done this? Why haven't we been this brave? Why haven't we challenged ourselves in our whole lives?'

You're presenting them with some very uncomfortable truths and they don't like it....

Above all else, humans fear pain and your situation is presenting them with an awful lot of it, so they're taking the pain away by complaining....

I think if you do need to say something, it should be along the lines of 'I realise you're trying to justify your lives and your actions by bagging Australia out, but I'd really just appreciate it if you could just leave your negative comments at the door, because it's becomming incredibly tiresome to deal with.'
Bright smile... 'Anyone for a cup of tea?'

Move on etc etc....

... and leave it at that.

You have my every sympathy.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:27 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Yep its very hard especially if they don't seem to have the intelligence to find things to do on their own.

Have figured out now that moving to the bush is a great deal as friends and family will only stay a few days before going to the city and a hotel, I thought of that one months ago and said to Steve that people just wouldn't stay out of the metro area and travel everyday from the bush to see and do something, great, we finally have it sorted, visitors in small amounts having to hire a car and go to a hotel, so after all my mumblings the answer to the problem of visitors is simple move somewhere that is in the middle of no where, no shops etc, they will stick it for a few days before going off and doing their own thing!!
Jenny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.