Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visiting the UK - insuring a car not my own? Help

Visiting the UK - insuring a car not my own? Help

Old Jan 12th 2015, 1:17 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Visiting the UK - insuring a car not my own? Help

Hi
I have lived in Aus for 11 years now and am returning to the UK next week for a month to visit my elderly parents.

Dad has had a stroke and cannot drive but has a perfectly good car in the garage that he wants me to get insurance on so I can help him move house/get around/generally be able to get out!

He is talking about selling the car to me so that I can insure and drive it whilst here. I'm really struggling to do this as:
a) my uk licence is still valid but photo licence expired in 2010.
b) I can't change my address and update my license as it will take around 3 weeks (Dad only got a letter from insurance today to say he is no longer insured as he will be 80 next month).

Can I get insurance on his car somewhere? I contacted age concern and they quoted nearly GBP2k for dad to insure and me to drive.
As I haven't driven a manual car for 11 years, if I was to hire an automatic from car hire for a month it's quoting me GBP800 which is ridiculous. Particularly as there is a car waiting for me (just needs MOT which it's booked in for).

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 8:51 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting the UK - insuring a car not my own? Help

Originally Posted by ljj
Hi
I have lived in Aus for 11 years now and am returning to the UK next week for a month to visit my elderly parents.

Dad has had a stroke and cannot drive but has a perfectly good car in the garage that he wants me to get insurance on so I can help him move house/get around/generally be able to get out!

He is talking about selling the car to me so that I can insure and drive it whilst here. I'm really struggling to do this as:
b) I can't change my address and update my license as it will take around 3 weeks (Dad only got a letter from insurance today to say he is no longer insured as he will be 80 next month).

Can I get insurance on his car somewhere? I contacted age concern and they quoted nearly GBP2k for dad to insure and me to drive.
As I haven't driven a manual car for 11 years, if I was to hire an automatic from car hire for a month it's quoting me GBP800 which is ridiculous. Particularly as there is a car waiting for me (just needs MOT which it's booked in for).

How long are you going for? Can you not take out a policy and get a cover note then cancel the direct debit after you have gone back?

S
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:42 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Visiting the UK - insuring a car not my own? Help

Originally Posted by ljj
Hi

Hi Louise, sorry to hear about your Dad's illness. We tried to do exactly the same thing last year and it worked out cheaper and easier to hire a car. We couldn't find any insurance companies that would touch a driver who had not lived in the UK for 5 years +.

We hired a family-size car for 3 weeks over Christmas for about £450 from Enterprise.

BB
Old Jan 13th 2015, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

What does Temporary Car Insurance for international drivers say?

Need a rego number.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 4:55 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi Louise, sorry to hear about your Dad's illness. We tried to do exactly the same thing last year and it worked out cheaper and easier to hire a car. We couldn't find any insurance companies that would touch a driver who had not lived in the UK for 5 years +.

We hired a family-size car for 3 weeks over Christmas for about £450 from Enterprise.

BB
Hi Simon

I'm thinking that's exactly what I'm going to have to do unfortunatly (there goes my shopping budget ) . Can't believe an auto is 3 times as much as a man to hire. - really don't fancy driving one after 11 years of pretend driving although I'm kind of thinking it may be like riding a bike and come back to me??? But all those Hillstarts in Oldham!

It wasn't a problem when he actually had the stroke as he was still insured and I was just an additional driver on his policy.

Thanks for your input anyway. Looks like a rental it is.

It'll be worth it to see my parents again - now to find a car which will fit a wheelchair in the boot...

Louise
Old Jan 13th 2015, 5:05 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
What does Temporary Car Insurance for international drivers say?

Need a rego number.
That's a useful link - thanks for posting.

In the past, my folks have never had any problems adding me as a temp driver to their existing insurance, but this may come in handy in the future if they ever run into problems...

S
Old Jan 13th 2015, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Before coming here to live, I was always a named driver on my dad's policy (he still drives) - some companies now won't do that though - my son included me as a named driver on his policy but when he changed providers they wouldn't accept me as I wasn't UK resident. It may well be cheaper to hire!
Old Jan 13th 2015, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
Hi

Hi there,

there was considerable discussion on the 'moving back to UK' thread here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...uk-car-793409/

From my own experience last year, I struggled to find anyone to insure me on my Father's car for a 5 day period (that's all I needed a car for) and ended up hiring from Gatwick Airport - I got a great deal though with Hertz.