Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visiting Oz before actually going

Visiting Oz before actually going

Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

j hamilton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting Oz before actually going

Just wondering has anyone actually gone to Oz without visiting it first. My hubby and I and three kids are seriously thinking of moving, but coz of the expense cannot afford a visit first. Hubby reckons a holiday wouldnt make our minds up anyway it would be totally different from actually moving there. We adore Florida when we go there and I have done a lot of research on web etc, just wondered if other people have gone without seeing the place first. Thanks. I myself would prefer to visit the place first.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:39 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Oz before actually going

Originally posted by j hamilton
Just wondering has anyone actually gone to Oz without visiting it first. My hubby and I and three kids are seriously thinking of moving, but coz of the expense cannot afford a visit first. Hubby reckons a holiday wouldnt make our minds up anyway it would be totally different from actually moving there. We adore Florida when we go there and I have done a lot of research on web etc, just wondered if other people have gone without seeing the place first. Thanks. I myself would prefer to visit the place first.

Hi JH,
Put in the search field "No advance visit - crazy ?".
This is the thread I started a while ago and is exactly your question.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I will probably get hammered for saying this but I think you should go and have a look first .It may be expensive but not as expensive as getting it wrong.
You obviously can't go everywhere but at least go where you think you may like to live.
It is nothing like Florida except that it can be hot in parts.

There will probably be plenty of people saying:'just go for it',but there are too many posters on this site who have had a bad experience for you to ignore them.
I do not live there yet by the way.

Good luck

G
Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by Grayling I will probably get hammered for saying this but I think you should go and have a look first.
You won't get hammered by me. There are folk here you settle in the hotter parts of the country, knowing them to be hot then complain about the heat. It it one thing to describe the differences, it's another thing to experience them.

Pretend to be a commuter, go to the suburbs were people actually live even west of Paddington in Sydney and see if BondiPom is having a lend of you.

If you don't like it you can move on instead of waiting in the immigration queue for many months of potential frustration.

The problem then is to decide what season to go although it is tempting to go in the southern summer as then you get to have three summers in a row.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 11:11 am
Merlot

All good advice so far, it is recommended to visit and research before you start, especially with 3 kids. Yes holidays are different but as advised in other posts, look at the place with commuter eyes, or the eyes of your kids - schools, activities, etc.

If you were a couple without children, I would say give it a go site unseen.

My husband was brought over here in 1987 at the age of 18 and hated it. He didn't want to come at all but is still here 17 years later and the jury are still out to whether he loves it or not.

We are coming back to the UK for a working type holiday in March 2004 which is OK for us to do as we have no children.

Old Jan 25th 2004, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
This is a question close to our hearts but the experiences of a friend (family of 4) has helped us make up our minds, which I will share with you.
After years of planning to emigrate to OZ, VISITING THREE TIMES at different months of the year, going thru all the upheaval of actually getting there, husband found good job, financially secure, settled in well, started sorting out their new lives, then husband started going through the first stages of "homesickness"and decided they should come back to the UK!But, now that they are back, within a few days of being here he realised he had made a very big mistake for the whole family and wanted to catch the next flight back!!

The most important thing to learn from this is that everyone is different, a prior visit helps some but not others, as it is not like having to live and work in another country, different kettle of fish altogether. But what I will say is, like us, if we get there, we must try to get over the feeling of wanting to come back due to homesickness and realise the benefits of our new life, of course without doubt some aspects are frightening, but when you take such a big step in life you have to try and make the most of it!

I hope this helps you to make the right decision. Good luck!

Old Jan 25th 2004, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Kelly T is an unknown quantity at this point

My aunt and uncle moved to Oz without having a holiday first, and 21 years later they are still there and loving it.

Although we had talked about moving to Oz lots of times in the past we only made our minds up after our holiday. I personally would prefer to have a holiday first then at least you have some idea of what you are going to.
I know that it is expensive but you are talking about the rest of your lives.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

We are planning on moving to Melbourne having never been there before. I too would like to visit first, but it would be costly and hard work with a 7,2 and 1 year old. I've spoken to plenty of people on here that are doing the same thing as me. I have just been finding out as much info as possible on here really which has really helped.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering has anyone actually gone to Oz without visiting it first.
If you are talking about moving here without the support of family or friends (in oz) having not visited you are truly mental sweetheart!

My advice is suss it out. I do miss my friends but having my wife and child makes up for that as her parents and friends are here also.

I can't really understand people that move back to the UK as having travelled the world (Florida included) I think Adelaide is a great place to be. Hope you find what you want.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by evorobin
If you are talking about moving here without the support of family or friends (in oz) having not visited you are truly mental sweetheart!

Everybody is different!

Don't know whether you bothered to read my earlier post but the friends I mentioned, having 3 prior visits, also I forgot to mention had family and friends over there, that was one of their reasons for going, still came back even after absolutely loving their holidays there!! What does this prove?

As I said before, a holiday just gives you and idea of what a country is like, not the reality of living there with all the ups and downs of life, emigrating is a major risk whether you visit first or not but surely that is the whole point - taking the RISK!! Even if you fail at least later in life you will not have the nagging question of "should we have done it"!

Life needs to be lived - taking chances is part of it! Major or minor!

I say go for it, get your specs ready!!
Old Jan 25th 2004, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bix da Boss
Originally posted by evorobin

Everybody is different!

Don't know whether you bothered to read my earlier post but the friends I mentioned, having 3 prior visits, also I forgot to mention had family and friends over there, that was one of their reasons for going, still came back even after absolutely loving their holidays there!! What does this prove?

As I said before, a holiday just gives you and idea of what a country is like, not the reality of living there with all the ups and downs of life, emigrating is a major risk whether you visit first or not but surely that is the whole point - taking the RISK!! Even if you fail at least later in life you will not have the nagging question of "should we have done it"!

Life needs to be lived - taking chances is part of it! Major or minor!

I say go for it, get your specs ready!!

I happen to agree with you. We're only going on hear say. Taking a holiday would only be seen through the old specs, although it would give us a better feel for the place. Some like it, some don't . It's a chance that you take or you don't. We probably are all mad for taking the risk, but so what?
Old Jan 25th 2004, 4:15 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by noodle
We are planning on moving to Melbourne having never been there before. I too would like to visit first, but it would be costly and hard work with a 7,2 and 1 year old. I've spoken to plenty of people on here that are doing the same thing as me. I have just been finding out as much info as possible on here really which has really helped.
Same here, although we have spent plenty of time in other parts of Oz and loved it, so have some basic knowledge of the 'feel of the place'. Have you been to Oz at all yet, Noodle?

FWIW, I'm sure, at their ages, it will all be a big adventure for your little 'uns - less traumatic than it could be, say later on in their teens, when they've started to build more lasting friendships & loyalties.

Good luck!

Anya.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by anya4oz
Same here, although we have spent plenty of time in other parts of Oz and loved it, so have some basic knowledge of the 'feel of the place'. Have you been to Oz at all yet, Noodle?

FWIW, I'm sure, at their ages, it will all be a big adventure for your little 'uns - less traumatic than it could be, say later on in their teens, when they've started to build more lasting friendships & loyalties.

Good luck!

Anya.
Totally agree Anya!
IMO the younger the children are the better at least they wont have the "hang ups" that our 15 and 17 year old boys have! We have put them first up till now but you would not know it by their attitude! They are being so bloody minded its making it that much harder for us organise everything.

Its harder in other ways with younger children, but at least you can still communicate with them
Old Jan 25th 2004, 4:38 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you choose to visit first or not I think the key to being happy in your new home is having a clear idea of what you want out of the move and what you plan to do when you get there.

Many peolple(me included) have moved or are planning to move for the sunshine, outdoor lifestyle, less traffic, bigger house, pool etc which is great but many find that this is not enough if they don't like their job or worse can't get a job. For some, living the holiday lifestyle is great for a while but if you have always had a full, busy, socially active life boredom and loneliness can be a problem.

Having said all that, we have been planning this move for almost 5 years. We've visited 3 times and done lots of research (jobs, schools, universities, health care etc) but I still don't think we are fully prepared for what living there will really be like.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you the very best of luck.

Kind Regards
Ace
Old Jan 25th 2004, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

This question gets asked so often. Basically the only time taking a visit first would be a waste of time is if you treat is as a holiday in the sun instead of a research trip. Unfortunatlely thats just what many do.

Rent a house for a couple of weeks, hire a car, because thats how you will be living here, go to schools, ask to see a classroom, I'd ask to see what work they were doing too. Go to shops with your UK shopping list , buy the same stuff, now work it out on the wages from the jobs you have just enquired about. The wages is the really important bit, look at everything in the likely wages you will get not the pounds.

Work out what social life you could carve out, work out how much time you would spend travelling to work schools etc. Choose the time of year you come out carefully, people who think Perth is year round sun might get a shock in winter and people who go to QLD in our winter might get a big shock in summer.

You know what I am saying its not a holiday its research, what about research Monday to Friday and do the beach stuff on the weekend so you get a clearer piccy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.