British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Visiting Australia before emigrating? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/visiting-australia-before-emigrating-792010/)

powellfamily Mar 31st 2013 9:27 am

Re: Visiting Australia before emigrating?

Eddie007 how did you go about it ? Did you just fly out get temp accommodation then look for somewhere to live? Would like to hear your experience.

Gill73 Mar 31st 2013 9:48 am

We booked a 4 week fully furnished holiday rental. While in this rental, we started looking for a year long rental property. We found one about 3 weeks after arriving and then had to make do with the basics until our container arrived. We found that offering to pay 6 months rent in advance helped our application as obviously we had no credit history in Australia. We didn't bring beds with us from the UK, so we bought new beds in Oz and got knifes, forks, plates etc from Ikea. We bought a patio set from Bunnings (the WA version of B & Q) and used this as both a dining room set and the chairs to sit on in the living room area! It was like Christmas when our container arrived 2 - 3 weeks later!

eddie007 Mar 31st 2013 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by powellfamily (Post 10633098)
Eddie007 how did you go about it ? Did you just fly out get temp accommodation then look for somewhere to live? Would like to hear your experience.

Booked a holiday rental for 3 weeks from the uk, flew over... Found a rental in the second week.... This was almost 6 years ago though.... Search renting in Australia in the threads... Plenty of horror stories... But remember for every one doom and gloom there are a hundred good time stories not written.

Grayling Mar 31st 2013 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 10633300)
But remember for every one doom and gloom there are a hundred good time stories not written.

And hundreds of bad ones not written either

brissybee Mar 31st 2013 1:04 pm

My advice to anyone considering a move to Australia would be to visit for a holiday first.

At Christmas.

eddie007 Mar 31st 2013 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 10633312)
And hundreds of bad ones not written either

Ok...

Wol Apr 1st 2013 5:22 am

Originally Posted by powellfamily (Post 10627762)
Thanks for your replies will need to think more about weather it's worth visiting first

As someone else said, if money's no object then stick your toes in the water.

But frankly I wouldn't bother: even six months on a sort of vacation won't prepare you for the real Australia. Living here is different. I had been to Australia many times, worked here for three four month periods, and thought I knew the place - but I didn't really.

Save the money - at least you'll be able to buy the return flight when and if you decide to get out.

brissybee Apr 1st 2013 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 10634270)
As someone else said, if money's no object then stick your toes in the water.

But frankly I wouldn't bother: even six months on a sort of vacation won't prepare you for the real Australia. Living here is different. I had been to Australia many times, worked here for three four month periods, and thought I knew the place - but I didn't really.

Save the money - at least you'll be able to buy the return flight when and if you decide to get out.

That's a good idea.

Lindsaylou777 Apr 1st 2013 12:59 pm

Hello the Powell family we have planned our trip and fly out to Perth in 3 weeks.
We have started the application process and currently awaiting state sponsorship approval. We plan to apply for the Visa on our return just to be sure.
We have 2 kids so flights and villa cost £3600.
It is a big move if it isn't what you expect when you get there!!:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by powellfamily (Post 10626453)
Hello,

I would like to find out how many people do/have visited Australia before emigrating?

We are both set on emigrating and currently researching everything and saving but to visit we would be looking at about £5000!

Many Thanks