To visit or not to visit

Wikiposts

To visit or not to visit

Old May 21st 2003, 8:40 pm
ems
Forum Regular

ems is an unknown quantity at this point
Question To visit or not to visit

How many of you guys that are already in OZ or are going in future,visited first ?

We're hopefully going to Mel for good in November and are thinking about visiting next month for a look round. Trouble is its obviously not cheap flying twice in one year, is it worth it ?

Reasons we're thinking of going are : check out a few burbs friends have recommended to see if they're for us. Hopefully we ould then rent in the burbs straight away rather than a city centre apt.

hopefully set my daughters mind at rest about a few things, she's
dead set against going at the mo

Whaddya think ??

Em
Old May 21st 2003, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future
Default Re: To visit or not to visit

Originally posted by ems
How many of you guys that are already in OZ or are going in future,visited first ?

We're hopefully going to Mel for good in November and are thinking about visiting next month for a look round. Trouble is its obviously not cheap flying twice in one year, is it worth it ?

Reasons we're thinking of going are : check out a few burbs friends have recommended to see if they're for us. Hopefully we ould then rent in the burbs straight away rather than a city centre apt.

Whaddya think ??

Em
Hiya ems,

We are thinking the same as you, we too are going to Mel in November but don`t know whether to just go and stay or visit first. Our friends out there keep trying to persuade us to stay, each day we change our minds. I know I`m not helping here but it`s a comfort that someone else is in ths predicament. Let me know what you decide, I`d be interested. If we didn`t have kids we`d go without the visit but we want to familairise ourselves with everything......aaarrghhhhh don`t know!! I`m waffling now!!!

Where are you from?

All the best on your decision

Loraine
:scared:
Old May 21st 2003, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ems

Well Em, I personally would advise against it. You cannot begin to assess what it is like to actually live day to day in a country unless you are doing just that.

Many people thought we were absolutely MAD coming here with only the hearsay of relatives living here to go on.

Having come out here, I know now that I would have said "yes, yes, yes - it`s wonderful - can`t wait to emigrate". You only scratch the very tip of the surface on a short - say one or two month - visit. You cannot immerse yourself in that region`s culture and way of life in that time. You will be looking at houses - fine. They all look great compared with the shoeboxes in the UK that "we" all live(d) in. You look at all the children coming out of school in their "home and away" uniforms and think "how sweet" - you don`t get to see what actually goes on (or doesn`t as is often the case) in the classrooms. You may get carried away with the overt friendliness of the people - the checkout girl in Woolies saying "Have a nice day" or "How`s your day goin`?" - and think - my what a friendly lot they all are. What you will not appreciate is that this is ALL SUPERFICIAL.

I know I will get slated for the above by the "pro Oz" brigade - but that`s the truth.

The only way you will find out if Australia (whatever State you end up in - and believe me, they are VERY different) is for you, is to come over, and live in it.

If you like it - great. If you don`t, at least you will be able to say "Well, we gave it a fair go, and it wasn`t for us". Better to try than spend your life wondering "what if".

I like Australia - but it is not for me, long term. For many others it will be the ultimate "lifestyle dream" and to them, I say "good on `yer"!!!
Old May 21st 2003, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Growler is an unknown quantity at this point

We are looking to go Sydney, but we went to visit first. Australia is huge, and each city is different.

We have to make entry by 7th September, and only got notice on Saturday. It makes us feel better knowing the area, and places we are looking to rent etc.

How about having 1 person go out, and do the scoping, with the rest following 7-10 days later?
Old May 21st 2003, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

comerford_helen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ems

Whaddya think ??

Em
We are bound for Melbourne, September we think, we have visiting twice, last time 18 months ago, when we made the decision to apply for immigration, we have two girls aged 5.

I think you should visit, you need to be sure and it gives you opportunities to look around and see it with a different view, you could then open bank accounts etc, which gives you credit ratings you will need for the future, visit estate agents etc.

It's a small price to pay to be sure and also might help to convince your daughter.

Helen
Old May 21st 2003, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Jilko is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: To visit or not to visit

The wife and I are planning on moving out there also. We just got back from a 3 week visit (not much I know, but it was limited due to work etc.) Sydney to Melbourne via Canberra and a few towns in between. About 1 week before we left the UK we booked another flight for Xmas. North QLD and then over to Perth for a week. Time with work is our problem as you can see!...
So we had a great time out in Oz but it was totally different to what we expected. Almost more American than we expected. This is only our observations. So it looks like it paid off going out. Now we are holding off our big move for another year or 2 then reviewing - we are only 25 and 26. We have cancelled the Xmas flights also and switch them to next year maybe. Need more time to review things. Oz is great fun though and we might just settle for a good holiday out there every year or 2 instead. Who knows?
But anyway, I reckon people must have a screw loose if they are moving to any country without first going out and reviewing. Not just once, it takes many vsists. Expensive, I know - but it might turn out to be the worst move you ever made. Might not be of course....... Emigrating isn't cheap - financially and emotionally. Yes, it's far away, and it looks it on the map, but it's not until your second flight (after the refuel) that you appreciate the distance involved. The distances between towns really scared my wife also.
Old May 21st 2003, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

We must be one of the mad ones, but we're moving out without first taking a visit. Took the same view as Rosy, that a 3 week visit would probably not tell us all we need to know. We are hopeful that we will be Melbourne bound in late Oct, and plan to take a couple of months travelling around Victoria.

I have lived abroad before, in the States for a year and in Central Africa for 2 years. It's only by living in a country as a working resident, that you can understand how a country ticks, and whether it's for you.

As you say, a trip is very expensive and I would rather save the money and use it for a trip back to the UK
Old May 21st 2003, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

We also are mad, we talked about visiting first but there is not enough time to learn everything you need to know.

So our first visit will be when we validate.

footie chick
Old May 21st 2003, 10:43 pm
ems
Forum Regular

aaaah! Am no closer to making a decision on this.. .but thanks for all your replies.

I realise it takes longer than a couple of weeks to decide whether emigrating is for you but we've already decided on that one ! We're both young so plenty of time to worry bout where to spend the rest of our lives, we just want the experience of a different way of life. The trip is to decide where we may rent long term or at least mke a start on looking at areas. We'll be pushed for time when and if we emigrate permanently cause we have to get my daughter into school. Still there's the expense which niggles me.......

Hubbie just phoned and has told me he's told the office he contracts at he won't be in for couple of weeks ! We'll be paying for that anyway so may as well do something useful !
Old May 21st 2003, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Ems how old is your daughter?

Would only plan on a visit first if you intended to buy some time before permanenty emigrating. Treat it as a holiday.
We are also not sure. Had tickets booked for Aug, decided to front load spouse visa and have interview set up for July. Cutting it pretty fine, but we will probably not go if we cant validate visa at same time.
Ideally we would be able to do this and so would get a 5 year period in which to arrange things.
Old May 22nd 2003, 2:54 am
ems
Forum Regular

Ems how old is your daughter?

Would only plan on a visit first if you intended to buy some time before permanenty emigrating. Treat it as a holiday.
We are also not sure. Had tickets booked for Aug, decided to front load spouse visa and have interview set up for July. Cutting it pretty fine, but we will probably not go if we cant validate visa at same time.
Ideally we would be able to do this and so would get a 5 year period in which to arrange things.

She's 5, 6 in Jan, ideally we want her to start school at the beginning of the school year so she can slot in more easily.

Em
Old May 22nd 2003, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rosy
Originally posted by ems

Well Em, I personally would advise against it. You cannot begin to assess what it is like to actually live day to day in a country unless you are doing just that.

Many people thought we were absolutely MAD coming here with only the hearsay of relatives living here to go on.

Having come out here, I know now that I would have said "yes, yes, yes - it`s wonderful - can`t wait to emigrate". You only scratch the very tip of the surface on a short - say one or two month - visit. You cannot immerse yourself in that region`s culture and way of life in that time. You will be looking at houses - fine. They all look great compared with the shoeboxes in the UK that "we" all live(d) in. You look at all the children coming out of school in their "home and away" uniforms and think "how sweet" - you don`t get to see what actually goes on (or doesn`t as is often the case) in the classrooms. You may get carried away with the overt friendliness of the people - the checkout girl in Woolies saying "Have a nice day" or "How`s your day goin`?" - and think - my what a friendly lot they all are. What you will not appreciate is that this is ALL SUPERFICIAL.

I know I will get slated for the above by the "pro Oz" brigade - but that`s the truth.

The only way you will find out if Australia (whatever State you end up in - and believe me, they are VERY different) is for you, is to come over, and live in it.

If you like it - great. If you don`t, at least you will be able to say "Well, we gave it a fair go, and it wasn`t for us". Better to try than spend your life wondering "what if".

I like Australia - but it is not for me, long term. For many others it will be the ultimate "lifestyle dream" and to them, I say "good on `yer"!!!
At least they say in OZ ''have a nice day'' in the UK they say jack s##t ...
Old May 22nd 2003, 3:39 am
Badge

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rosy
Originally posted by ems

I liked this post - in that it was a positive "negative" post if i can call it that.

As you say, you either like it or not. good for you.

After a year, i found that as long as I was friendly myself, that aussie friendliness was not superficial.

most aussies will respond in kind.

whereas in the UK, friendliness is not often matched. it's as if people dont know how to. I used to be perhaps the same - it was aus that switched me on to being confident and friendly and laid back - whatever I felt at the time...it was like a wake up call
and now i am back in the UK refuse to let people get me down even when i hear people whining

badgers

Old May 22nd 2003, 4:33 am
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Go for the least expensive, i am. I don't believe you could possibly judge Oz in 2 weeks, it took me 2 years to settle in Wiltshire after moving from Manchester. It could take you the rest of your life to gauge all that Oz could give you & vice Versa.
Life is an adventure enjoy it more by geeting a ticket for lessis my
thought. Spend that money on a car or 2 months on the reef when you get their. Good Luck

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ems

Old May 22nd 2003, 6:23 am
earlswood

Ems,

We came back from our v.short trip to OZ 3 weeks ago.

We were lucky enough to leave the kids in the UK and winged it.
Having studied web sites and spoken to friends we were convinced not only Brisbane was for us but even chose the town!!

Luckily the friends we stayed with took us around shops estate agents etc... and not the tourist sites (O.K I got to cuddle a Koala but that's mandatory!!)

It looked all we had hoped it would be with all the facilities we needed but as other posters have said you can't really get a feel for somewhere until you actually live there.

All I can say from my own point of view is that I wouldn't buy a house in Scotland without having been there 1st (O.K there's only about 16k miles difference!)

It did cost a lot but was worth it. Then again we probably won't get our Visa till later in 2004.

Best wishes whatever you decide.

Earlswood

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.