Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visit to Mount Martha, Vic

Visit to Mount Martha, Vic

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Nicko is a jewel in the roughNicko is a jewel in the roughNicko is a jewel in the roughNicko is a jewel in the rough
Default Visit to Mount Martha, Vic

Popping over for a visit in May this year to check things out before we lodge our visa application.

I have a great uncle here in Mount Martha who has been here for 42 years and want to be close by when we do emigrate.

Can some of you give my wife and I some advice on what schools we should look at, and if life really that much better. Will be looking to put a 100k GBP into a property. The wife is a hairdresser so we will be coming over (hopefully) on her visa. I work in banking (asset finance) so will hope to settle in to some banking job in the same field.

Your thoughts, suggestions are greatly considered.

Nick
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Visit to Mount Martha, Vic

Originally Posted by Nicko
Popping over for a visit in May this year to check things out before we lodge our visa application.

I have a great uncle here in Mount Martha who has been here for 42 years and want to be close by when we do emigrate.

Can some of you give my wife and I some advice on what schools we should look at, and if life really that much better. Will be looking to put a 100k GBP into a property. The wife is a hairdresser so we will be coming over (hopefully) on her visa. I work in banking (asset finance) so will hope to settle in to some banking job in the same field.

Nick
Mount Martha is beautiful, we love the area and the beaches are lovely, unfortunately its a little far for daily commute to CBD in our opinion 11/2 each way and you have to drive to Frankston train station as the train does not go down to Mount Martha. Lots of unmade roads in parts and feeels very rural and unspoilt. I think you would get a very small property with £100,000 especially whith the current exchange rate you would find it difficult.

Good luck to you with your Visa application. We move over in April to the area hope to move to langwarrin South area near to my daughters school.

Schooling in Mount Martha I am uncertain of but there are great schools in the local area. Have you tried asking on Britvics site thats a great site and there are a couple of people with children of school age in Mount Martha who could help.

Cheryl
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Nicko is a jewel in the roughNicko is a jewel in the roughNicko is a jewel in the roughNicko is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Mount Martha is beautiful, we love the area and the beaches are lovely, unfortunately its a little far for daily commute to CBD in our opinion 11/2 each way and you have to drive to Frankston train station as the train does not go down to Mount Martha. Lots of unmade roads in parts and feeels very rural and unspoilt. I think you would get a very small property with £100,000 especially whith the current exchange rate you would find it difficult.

Good luck to you with your Visa application. We move over in April to the area hope to move to langwarrin South area near to my daughters school.

Schooling in Mount Martha I am uncertain of but there are great schools in the local area. Have you tried asking on Britvics site thats a great site and there are a couple of people with children of school age in Mount Martha who could help.

Cheryl
Thanks Cheryl,

We were hoping to get a mortgage at some point and rent to start with so the 100k in effect would be our deposit.

Whats does 11/2 mean.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Cheryl,

We were hoping to get a mortgage at some point and rent to start with so the 100k in effect would be our deposit.

Whats does 11/2 mean.

Sorry one and half hours to CBD

Cheryl
Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We have lived here 2 years and love it, if you have any questions that I might be able to answer just fire away.

John
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Nick
What ages are your kids and are you looking to send them to the local state schools or private? There are some very good ones in Mt Eliza about 15mins from Mt Martha, but they are pricey. The catholic private schools are cheaper, and also good, but it depends on ahat you are looking for. If you go with state schools you will need to live in the right catchment area for each school, so watch out. We live in Mornington and love it here, it is really beautiful and yes there are some great schools, my advice would be to visit some when you are over and perhaps get your name on some waiting lists, the good private schools fill up very early, we were really lucky to get our sons in when we arrived and I applied to them months before leaving the UK!! If you can afford it I would certainly recommend The Peninsula School in Mt Eliza.

Good luck with the move, you'll love it here.

Last edited by Smartinis; Feb 24th 2008 at 3:16 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Just wanted to say "Hi" to those of you already in Mount Martha, we secured a rental at Sefton Grange on Friday and pick up the keys next week. Looking forward to moving in, although we will have no furniture initially until ours arrives at the end of May, all good fun

Tracy & Jason
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tracy & Jason

Is that one of those HUGE 4 bed ones? We are looking at MM as well - might see you down there!

Kim
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by koalakim
Hi Tracy & Jason

Is that one of those HUGE 4 bed ones? We are looking at MM as well - might see you down there!

Kim
Hi Kim

This is the link to the house

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1208067773

We will fill the house, with our 16, 11 and 7 year old too - it is in a beautiful location and we are really pleased with it, would look to buy had we sold in the UK - fingers crossed for that one soon.

Hopefully see you down there, it would be good to meet up with some others.

Tracy & Jason
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

It's a lovely house! Lots of room for all the kids.

Will let you know if we get down there, there are a few from Britvics around that area as well.

Kim