Reload this Page >

Visit first or not?

Visit first or not?

Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

bloodfoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Visit first or not?

Hello everybody,
me and OH are thinking of moving to Oz but can't decide on a few things, they are; do we fly out and hire a campervan to visit different places to see which we like ; or do we try to decide on where we would like to move to and travel round that area ; or do we save the money it would cost us and just do it without the visits?
Any replies back on what people have done would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:05 pm
Banned

dingoboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visit first or not?

Originally Posted by bloodfoot
Hello everybody,
me and OH are thinking of moving to Oz but can't decide on a few things, they are; do we fly out and hire a campervan to visit different places to see which we like ; or do we try to decide on where we would like to move to and travel round that area ; or do we save the money it would cost us and just do it without the visits?
Thank you.
l think it depends on money, if you can afford it then hiring a campervan and seeing the country is a great idea, but if you are on a tight budget then perhaps not.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Bloodfoot!

There was a thread about this the last day or two the link is below but will add my own opinions too!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475282

I'm presuming from your post that you haven't been to Aus before. There are lots of people on this forum who are leaving for a new life down under but have never set foot in Aus. My OH and I are two of them!!

IMHO the problem with going out there before on a trip is that it could easily turn into an expensive holiday with little day to day information found out and the holiday mentality just takes over. But then that's just us.

We have decided not to simply because the money spent on visiting for three weeks could go towards a deposit on a house or towards a car...getting sorted when we first arrive is a priority for us.

However, it all depends on the individual, what you feel would work for you and of course...most importantly...the funds. If you really can't face the thought of going out cold turkey then it could be very useful to go out before.

How many of you are there?

Sparky Wife
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Also consider that seeing Australia through 'holiday and tourist' eyes is very different from living and working here. You may fall in love with beautiful areas but there is zilch chance of you gaining employment in those locations. Of course this does depend on what you do.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:10 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Some of it will depend on your type of work. The major problem I see with Oz is that its a beautiful country, with wonderful places around the coast but 98% of the work is in the cities.

The cities also vary a lot in atmosphere, country town->cosmopolitan->metro city, as well as the cost of living and the work.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:17 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bloodfoot
Hello everybody,
Thank you.
Save your money and jump right in.