Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visit first or not?

Wikiposts

Visit first or not?

Old Apr 29th 2005, 1:41 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Jessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visit first or not?

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Just like you we too are heading into the unknown.

Not having been there before, we also see it as an adventure, and looking forward to arriving in Brisbane to have a go at it.

You only live once and we may as well do something with our lives rather than carry on in a familar rut forever more.

Good luck to you.
You are right, sometimes I have to remind myself that you only live once. I should take the chance and just go for it but something holds me back from just going there without testing the water first. I will let you know what we decide to do and thanks for your reply
Old Apr 29th 2005, 1:42 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Jessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hooperhome
We have never been to Aus, I don't think I could get a realistic view on a holiday. Even if you have done the holiday before making the move does not guarantee that you will like living there.

One life, once chance, go for it !
Theresa
Cheers Theresa, You sound very positive and confident, I wish I were more like that
Old Apr 29th 2005, 1:43 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

That can help a lot Julie.

They will be able to show you around a bit and will now where you need to go for signing up to Medicare and the likes.

But if all else fails just stick your white tail in the air
Old Apr 29th 2005, 1:44 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Originally Posted by Carruss
Never mind be able to afford the lessons, why on earth would anyone want to type like this?

Just my opinion but it looks terrible!

R.
I was only kidding it took me ages to type that way. I will just stick to what I know (which isn`t a lot) LOL
Old Apr 29th 2005, 1:56 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Originally Posted by Pootle
Hi Julie!
We came out in Jan this year ( hubby, me & kids age 5 & 2) and had not visited before. We came on a 457 visa, so from the time of the job offer (Sept 04) until the move (Jan 05) didn't really give much time for a visit! We still currently have our house in uk and are renting it out. We thought if nothing else, we would come for "the adventure", and stay for a couple of years. I don't know what I expected Melbourne to be like - a big city??? But it has far exceeded our expectations. We all love it, and although you cannot predict the future, at the moment can see ourselves staying. I would save your money and just go for it!! Its not like you can't go back if you find it's not for you. All the best with your decision. Remember, lots come out without visiting first...kind of makes it all the more exciting.
Pootle

Hi, The adventure sounds great, I am just a scardy cat who cant make up her mind, 1 minute I say lets just go but then by other side says its too much of a gamble???? It would cost a lot of money and I have to carefully consider this. It`s great to hear that you moved out there without going and it has worked out for you.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 1:59 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Originally Posted by scissors
hi julie,
we re offf to brissy in about 8wks and we ve never been before either,
i think its down to the individual really,we did think about doing a reccie trip in the beginning,but then when we thought aBOUT IT we thought for the amount of money it would cost us for the trip,that money would pay the rent on accomadation for at least 6mths when we get there,and we didnt think we d be able to find enough out in just a couple of weeks from a hotel room,so we re just going to go for it,we have done alot of research though,and narrowed the areas down alot,burt we can take our time when we get there and have a good look around to see where suits ud the best.

tracey
Only 8 weeks for you to go now!! Good luck, Hope you keep us posted with how you are getting on. Do you have jobs to go to when you get there?
Good luck to you!!!
Old Apr 29th 2005, 2:02 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to Aus twice already.

I first arrived for a working holiday in 1994 and absolutely hated the place (Cairns). It took me the better part of two months to get over my culture shock. I'm not joking, I've found it easier and less shocking to adapt to Sub-Saharan Africa than Aus, I just can't explain it, other than to say that it really wasn't what I expected. I actually ended up really liking Cairns, but it took time. I stayed five months and seriously homesick, vowed never to return, a vow which lasted at least 5 years.

However, Aus had worked its spell on me, and whenever I saw it on telly, it brought back some wonderful memories. I made a casual enquiry about emigration, as I was quite unsettled at the time, having just returned from a wonderful holiday in South Africa and suddenly feeling I needed to be 'elsewhere'. This feeling started to grow, and I looked back at my time in Aus and realised that I'd learnt a lot from the experience, and could avoid certain mistakes if I returned. The good parts of my time there were truly wonderful, and I knew that my homesickness was often for things like 'historic old buildings' and guinness!! Quite daft really...

So my advice would be this....

If you get the opportunity, visit the country first, ideally on a working holiday so that you're not just a tourist, plus you can stay there for a year. You will be much wiser for the experience, believe me. If this just isn't possible due to age, money, time constraints, family commitments or whatever, then research as much as you possibly can. You may arrive there knowing nothing about the place and fall in love with it, never wanting to leave; but I've read so many tales of folks who really didn't expect it to be the way it is/was, and have found it difficult or impossible to settle. So you need an open mind from the outset. The opportunity for a wonderful life in Aus is there if you want it, but if it isn't quite what you expected, give it time, as it could take a couple of years at least to settle, and you may really regret coming home prematurely.

I wish you all the very best of luck with your new lives, especially if you've never been. This forum can help in many ways, not least providing support and encouragement, but only you know at the end of the day if it's really for you.

All the best!
Old Apr 29th 2005, 2:02 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Let's look at it financially.

Cost of holiday = cost of a car.........or cost of return to UK if you don't like it.

Well, roughly that's what it could equate to.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jessica Rabbit
Hi, The adventure sounds great, I am just a scardy cat who cant make up her mind, 1 minute I say lets just go but then by other side says its too much of a gamble???? It would cost a lot of money and I have to carefully consider this. It`s great to hear that you moved out there without going and it has worked out for you.
Jessica

It's only natural to feel a little nervous and hesitant. Your situation is that you have 2 choices, you either go and have a try, or do the holiday first? I am sure that once you have actually made that decision you will feel a lot more at ease.

Best wishes
Theresa
Old Apr 29th 2005, 2:06 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Originally Posted by Bix
That can help a lot Julie.

They will be able to show you around a bit and will now where you need to go for signing up to Medicare and the likes.

But if all else fails just stick your white tail in the air
Yes, its good to have friends and they have been so helpful. I will take your advice and stick my fluffy tail in the air. (my tail is red though, not white
Old Apr 29th 2005, 2:14 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I've been to Aus twice already.

I first arrived for a working holiday in 1994 and absolutely hated the place (Cairns). It took me the better part of two months to get over my culture shock. I'm not joking, I've found it easier and less shocking to adapt to Sub-Saharan Africa than Aus, I just can't explain it, other than to say that it really wasn't what I expected. I actually ended up really liking Cairns, but it took time. I stayed five months and seriously homesick, vowed never to return, a vow which lasted at least 5 years.

However, Aus had worked its spell on me, and whenever I saw it on telly, it brought back some wonderful memories. I made a casual enquiry about emigration, as I was quite unsettled at the time, having just returned from a wonderful holiday in South Africa and suddenly feeling I needed to be 'elsewhere'. This feeling started to grow, and I looked back at my time in Aus and realised that I'd learnt a lot from the experience, and could avoid certain mistakes if I returned. The good parts of my time there were truly wonderful, and I knew that my homesickness was often for things like 'historic old buildings' and guinness!! Quite daft really...

So my advice would be this....

If you get the opportunity, visit the country first, ideally on a working holiday so that you're not just a tourist, plus you can stay there for a year. You will be much wiser for the experience, believe me. If this just isn't possible due to age, money, time constraints, family commitments or whatever, then research as much as you possibly can. You may arrive there knowing nothing about the place and fall in love with it, never wanting to leave; but I've read so many tales of folks who really didn't expect it to be the way it is/was, and have found it difficult or impossible to settle. So you need an open mind from the outset. The opportunity for a wonderful life in Aus is there if you want it, but if it isn't quite what you expected, give it time, as it could take a couple of years at least to settle, and you may really regret coming home prematurely.

I wish you all the very best of luck with your new lives, especially if you've never been. This forum can help in many ways, not least providing support and encouragement, but only you know at the end of the day if it's really for you.

All the best!
Hi Tony, if you dont mind me asking, What made you come home? Will you ever go back? I am just curious because you said you liked it so much. We dont really want to just go on a working holiday for a year coz for us its all or nothing. I know it will take time to adjust and I will really miss my family but I have to think what is best for us. I think I will have to start on the guiness too to stop my mind working overtime .
Old Apr 29th 2005, 2:17 am
Bix
da Bonehead

I will take your advice and stick my fluffy tail in the air. (my tail is red though, not white

Indeed it is.
My apologise
Attached Images  
Old Apr 29th 2005, 2:27 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Originally Posted by Bix
Indeed it is.
My apologise
I never get tired of looking at myself, I am gorgeous and I have a lovely figure. LOL I look good in that dress dont I? ha ha
Old Apr 29th 2005, 2:44 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tony, if you dont mind me asking, What made you come home? Will you ever go back? I am just curious because you said you liked it so much. We dont really want to just go on a working holiday for a year coz for us its all or nothing. I know it will take time to adjust and I will really miss my family but I have to think what is best for us. I think I will have to start on the guiness too to stop my mind working overtime .
Hi Jessica,

I tend to try and retain an open mind about places when I visit, which is why there are things I like about the countries I visit and things I don't like; Aus is no exception. Some folks instantly fall in love with Aus; I took a lot longer to warm to the place. The images on travel progs are a truly gross distortion of the day-to-day reality IMHO.

When I went to Aus back in the '90s, I wasn't really emotionally centred enough to really appreciate a lot of stuff at first. I was also under pressure to find work to earn my return air fare, and was down to less than $100 before I found regular work, so I was actually quite stressed for a bit there! Well anyway, I love the UK, so there is no major push factor that makes me desperate to return, but I will do eventually I'm sure.

My feelings overall about Aus are very complex, I can't really explain why other than to cite examples: I love the friendly open attitude of most of the people, but I despise the way aborigines are regarded and treated by a lot of people. My feeling on this is that you encounter the pros and cons of life wherever you go, and racism is no different. What I like about most Aussies is that they tend to be very honest about how they feel about things, and honesty is something I will always respect, as I hold it above all other virtues.

I love the wildlife (when you can find it) and the wide open spaces and I want an adventure as I rapidly approach 40. I've made my choice to return, hopefully for good in a few years time, but a part of me will always be forever in the country of my birth. This might sound slushy and sentimental, but it isn't patriotism. I will commit myself to becoming an Aussie when I get there, otherwise there's no point emigrating methinks...

So may I ask what your main motives are for making the move?
Old Apr 29th 2005, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

Just read the thread and thought I would back the number of people who are just packing up and moving without a visit.

We are heading to Melbourne in 8 wks and haven't set foot in Oz. My view is that the world is a small place now and a lot easier to get back if we don't like it. We know how things work in the UK so coming back shouldn't be too much of a problem. Saying all that, the last thing on my mind is coming back. The above is the extent of my thoughts about coming back. If you make a go of it and like life in the UK you deal with whatever comes along I am sure the adventure will have a positive outcome.

It might be a simplistic view but I tend to think if you over complicate matters you complicate your life and I am sure everyone agrees that the purpose of emigrating to Oz is to have an easier life.

Hope it all goes well for you all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.