Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visit first or not?

Visit first or not?

Old Apr 29th 2005, 9:41 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Jessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visit first or not?

Hi, Me and my hubby are going to oz next year to live. Neither of us have ever been before and we didn`t intend to do so before the big move. The reason for this is it would cost a lot of money and we need as much as we can get our hands on for when we move there. Ok so this is my dilemma:

Do we visit Oz first to see if we like it? it could be well worth it because we could get there and not like it and then we would know we have made the right choice

Or.... do we just take our chances (wil probably love it anyway) and save ourselves all the money that it would cost for a holiday?

How many people have
a) been before?
b) never been but or going on holiday first
C) are just moving and taking there chances?

I am unsure what is the best move to make. I am sure I will love Oz but it still worries me a little bit. :scared:

Any advice welcome please

Julie
Old Apr 29th 2005, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Visit first or not?

Originally Posted by Jessica Rabbit
Hi, Me and my hubby are going to oz next year to live. Neither of us have ever been before and we didn`t intend to do so before the big move. The reason for this is it would cost a lot of money and we need as much as we can get our hands on for when we move there. Ok so this is my dilemma:

Do we visit Oz first to see if we like it? it could be well worth it because we could get there and not like it and then we would know we have made the right choice

Or.... do we just take our chances (wil probably love it anyway) and save ourselves all the money that it would cost for a holiday?

How many people have
a) been before?

I am unsure what is the best move to make. I am sure I will love Oz but it still worries me a little bit. :scared:

Julie
Hi Julie!
We came out in Jan this year ( hubby, me & kids age 5 & 2) and had not visited before. We came on a 457 visa, so from the time of the job offer (Sept 04) until the move (Jan 05) didn't really give much time for a visit! We still currently have our house in uk and are renting it out. We thought if nothing else, we would come for "the adventure", and stay for a couple of years. I don't know what I expected Melbourne to be like - a big city??? But it has far exceeded our expectations. We all love it, and although you cannot predict the future, at the moment can see ourselves staying. I would save your money and just go for it!! Its not like you can't go back if you find it's not for you. All the best with your decision. Remember, lots come out without visiting first...kind of makes it all the more exciting.
Pootle
Old Apr 29th 2005, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visit first or not?

hi julie,
we re offf to brissy in about 8wks and we ve never been before either,
i think its down to the individual really,we did think about doing a reccie trip in the beginning,but then when we thought aBOUT IT we thought for the amount of money it would cost us for the trip,that money would pay the rent on accomadation for at least 6mths when we get there,and we didnt think we d be able to find enough out in just a couple of weeks from a hotel room,so we re just going to go for it,we have done alot of research though,and narrowed the areas down alot,burt we can take our time when we get there and have a good look around to see where suits ud the best.

tracey
Old Apr 29th 2005, 10:06 am
FAMILY MEMBER

paula elliott has a spectacular aura aboutpaula elliott has a spectacular aura aboutpaula elliott has a spectacular aura about

Hi
We Are Moving To Queensland In October And We Have Never Beenthere Before, We Know Nobody There Either. We Are The Same As You As In We Need As Much Money As We Can Get When We Move There. Also, The Way I Look At It Is, Everywhere Is Nice On Holiday. How Many Times Do You Go On Holiday And Think "i Could Live Here?".
Its Te Life Style That Makes People Think That And Not The Place, The Relaxing Around The Pool And Having Plenty Of Spendng Money.so We Decided Not To Visit Oz First. Just Go For It. As Long As You Are Not Running Away From Things, I Can't See Why You Wuld Not Like Oz. As Long As I Have My Two Children And My Wonderful Huby With Me Then I Will Be Happy, Anywhere In The World.
Good Luck.
Who Dares Wins.
Paula
Old Apr 29th 2005, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paula elliott
Hi
We Are Moving To Queensland In October And We Have Never Beenthere Before, We Know Nobody There Either. We Are The Same As You As In We Need As Much Money As We Can Get When We Move There. Also, The Way I Look At It Is, Everywhere Is Nice On Holiday. How Many Times Do You Go On Holiday And Think "i Could Live Here?".
Its Te Life Style That Makes People Think That And Not The Place, The Relaxing Around The Pool And Having Plenty Of Spendng Money.so We Decided Not To Visit Oz First. Just Go For It. As Long As You Are Not Running Away From Things, I Can't See Why You Wuld Not Like Oz. As Long As I Have My Two Children And My Wonderful Huby With Me Then I Will Be Happy, Anywhere In The World.
Good Luck.
Who Dares Wins.
Paula
hi paula,your right it is different on holiday,my thoughts entirely,and even on a reccie trip you wont get to see that much in 2wks in my opinion not enough to know you want to settle there

do you know whereabouts your heading?wee re heading for the gold coast,we think we ll take a 3mth rental to start with and then have a really good look round at different areas.

tracey
Old Apr 29th 2005, 10:14 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself a pork pie
Old Apr 29th 2005, 10:15 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Visit first or not?

How many people have
a) been before?

Julie
We have never been either. My wifes three brothers have all moved over there over the last nine years and my brother has just lodged his bond so he will be out there soon. We will have more family out there than here soon. We are all very similar to them so we are determind to make a go of it when we get our visa.

Like someone else said its an adventure, it will give our children an experience that they may never get the chance to have again, or us for that matter.

Time will tell eh!

R.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 10:16 am
Not two zombies

Mongrol will become famous soon enough

Hi
Good Luck.
Who Dares Wins.
Paula
That's a fantastic talent you have there for capitlising every word. How long did it take to learn?
Old Apr 29th 2005, 10:16 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Jessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Get yourself a pork pie
ha ha, me likey.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 10:17 am
FAMILY MEMBER

paula elliott has a spectacular aura aboutpaula elliott has a spectacular aura aboutpaula elliott has a spectacular aura about

Hi
I Think I Met You At One Of The Meetings A Cuple Of Months Ago. Are You A Hairdresser?
We Are Not Sure Where We Are Heading, But We Have Been Told Samford Is Very Nice, We Also Like The Sound Of Jimboomba. I Think We Will Head For Samford, Get A Short Term Rental (about 6 Months) And Then Look About Before We Decide To Buy. At This Stag We Can Only Go By Recommendation. We Facied The Gold Coast Bt Was Put Off By Someone Saying It Is Very Touristy There. We Don't Want To Pay Tourist Premium On Everything We Buy.
Paula
Old Apr 29th 2005, 10:19 am
FAMILY MEMBER

Originally Posted by Mongrol
That's a fantastic talent you have there for capitlising every word. How long did it take to learn?
IM A NURSE NOT A TYPIST , SO THIS IS EASIER FOR ME
Old Apr 29th 2005, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi
I Think I Met You At One Of The Meetings A Cuple Of Months Ago. Are You A Hairdresser?
We Are Not Sure Where We Are Heading, But We Have Been Told Samford Is Very Nice, We Also Like The Sound Of Jimboomba. I Think We Will Head For Samford, Get A Short Term Rental (about 6 Months) And Then Look About Before We Decide To Buy. At This Stag We Can Only Go By Recommendation. We Facied The Gold Coast Bt Was Put Off By Someone Saying It Is Very Touristy There. We Don't Want To Pay Tourist Premium On Everything We Buy.
Paula
ahhh one of the many meets...very likely... yes im a hairdresser,lol, i kinda think my user name gives that away,lol.
Yes were going to one of the suburbs off the gold coast not actually on the main strip,but our paths may well meet again once we get there

tracey
Old Apr 29th 2005, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

How many people have
a) been before?

Julie

If you have the balls and the get up and go to do it then you will love the place, don't stress.

Clare spent a year backpacking round Oz and fell in love with the place, so much so that when we met she spoke about nothing else. I was all set to move to Canada but was persuaded (brow beaten more like!) to have a holiday in Oz for 3 weeks and I fell in love with the place too.

It's true, you cannot get a true idea of what living somewhere is like in a couple of weeks when you are on holiday but let me say this - I have travelled alot on business and after a while you get to realise that different places are nothing more than somewhere else that people live. You will see alot of the same problems that are in the UK and you will find most if not all of the positive things that are in the UK but at least the weather will be better.

The one thing you do have to take on board is that Oz is not perfect; if you come with unrealistic expectations that life will be one long holiday and everything will be cheaper then you may be dissapointed, but that would happen regardless of where you moved. It will be an adventure and there will be times when you think you want to go home, but persevere and enjoy the differences.

Steve
Old Apr 29th 2005, 10:31 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Originally Posted by Mongrol
I Was Thinking The Same Thing, It Is A Talent And This Has Just Took Me Ages To Type. How Do You Do It?
Old Apr 29th 2005, 10:42 am
FAMILY MEMBER

I Was Thinking The Same Thing, It Is A Talent And This Has Just Took Me Ages To Type. How Do You Do It?
I'M AN EXPERT AT IT AS YOU SAID. I DO GIVE LESSONS, BUT THEY ARE VERY EXPENSIVE. AND NO MATTER HOW MANY LESSONS A PERSON HAS THEY WILL NEVER BE AS GOOD AT IT AS ME.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.