Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are visas taking longer now - 457?

Are visas taking longer now - 457?

Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

zenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant future
Default Are visas taking longer now - 457?

Hi

My visa agent told me the other day that visa applications are taking even longer and going to get worse - has anyone got any experience of this or is he just being pesimistic?!

I think we're on a 457 - hubby in IT and going on his visa with 120 odd points - visa agent sorting it all (hopefully!)

Our main visa application was put in 2 months ago and we've not had a receipt or heard a dickybird since and as this was all started in January and we were hoping to be away by March 2007, getting a bit worried!
Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are visas taking longer now - 457?

Originally Posted by zenamethyst
Hi

My visa agent told me the other day that visa applications are taking even longer and going to get worse - has anyone got any experience of this or is he just being pesimistic?!

I think we're on a 457 - hubby in IT and going on his visa with 120 odd points - visa agent sorting it all (hopefully!)
What do you mean by this? 457 visa is not points tested.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough

Hi

To make you feel a bit more optimistic, my husbands 457 came through in 13 days, although we had already got the medicals to send when he applied. Also, the company had already got approval for his employment [or something like that...not sure on the details]. We are heading for Sydney on 2nd Oct.

Just reading your post again though....are you sure you are not applying for a skilled independent visa [136 I think]??? I know these can take a lot longer.

Fingers crossed yours comes through soon!
Old Sep 19th 2006, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

My 457 is currently being processed and I was warned by the immigration agent beforehand that the processing times have been pushed back to between 6 and 8 weeks and are only going to get worse.
Apparently there is some concern at DIMA that these visas have been abused by employers/employees so they are now being extra stringent.
Although I guess this will depend on individual cases - I'm sure some applications look more 'suspicious' than others.

Mollymoo - great news on the 13 days - my sponsoring company have also got approval (whatever that means - I just know it took three or four months for that to come through!) so hopefully mine will be pretty quick too.
Good luck in Sydney
Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

zenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant future

duh - yes sorry, brains on the blink again!

We are applying on a skilled independent visa

We were originally told that it would take 5 months, then 8 months and now he's said a year from them receiving the application!!!!!!!