Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visas Should be Unnecessary

Visas Should be Unnecessary

Old Oct 8th 2003, 11:14 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visas Should be Unnecessary

The EU has managed to create a single employment market by removing the visa requirement to work across member states. NZ and Australia have managed the same.

It strikes me that NZ, Australia, UK, Canada, US, EU, Singapore, Hong Kong and other economically mature countries could forge a similiar agreement.

A visa is only a computer record and a piece of paper. It may have been aquired because of skills but the year long waiting is rediculous and an unnecessary use of public resources.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 12:53 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visas Should be Unnecessary

Originally posted by bondipom
The EU has managed to create a single employment market by removing the visa requirement to work across member states. NZ and Australia have managed the same.

It strikes me that NZ, Australia, UK, Canada, US, EU, Singapore, Hong Kong and other economically mature countries could forge a similiar agreement.

A visa is only a computer record and a piece of paper. It may have been aquired because of skills but the year long waiting is rediculous and an unnecessary use of public resources.
Wishful thinking indeed. Perhaps some day, the economies that you mentioned would allow visa-free residency (instead of just visa-free visitation) rights to their citizens...

Peter
Old Oct 9th 2003, 1:09 am

Originally posted by ptlabs
Wishful thinking indeed. Perhaps some day, the economies that you mentioned would allow visa-free residency (instead of just visa-free visitation) rights to their citizens...

Peter
At the moment it is wishful thinking but in post war Europe the current EU would have seemed fanciful.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 2:34 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you don't subscribe to issues such as national security and managing population numbers then ... a visa is far more than a computer record.

Visas allow (or should allow - the UK excepted it seems) countries to manage inflows and outflows of individuals, and in these times of heightened concerns (and I speak in a pesonal capacity here) I am happy to have waited to receive my visa and to queue at the immigration desk when I arrive in Australia.

Best regards.

Originally posted by bondipom

Old Oct 9th 2003, 3:26 am

Originally posted by Alan Collett
I take it you don't subscribe to issues such as national security and managing population numbers then ... a visa is far more than a computer record.

Visas allow (or should allow - the UK excepted it seems) countries to manage inflows and outflows of individuals, and in these times of heightened concerns (and I speak in a pesonal capacity here) I am happy to have waited to receive my visa and to queue at the immigration desk when I arrive in Australia.

Best regards.
I am not saying end passport checks. The Sept 11 hijackers had visas and we all know the result. Most the listed countries have visa free access for tourism and business in the first place.

The single employment market in the EU has not seen disasterous migration flows. If anything the movements have been underwhleming. The reason I listed economically stable countries is to prevent mass economic migration.

I have no idea what the UK immigration/visa system is like except for some people who I know on marriage visas. Their experiences have been chaotic, inconsistent and lengthy.