Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

visas and passports

visas and passports

Old Jul 20th 2002, 12:02 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default visas and passports

Hi all,

Just wondering, you know thinking ahead like you do.....

My two younger children don't have their own passports at the moment, they are both on mine and hubby's.
When the visa is granted would they need to have their own at that point to have the visa sticker in????
Mine and hubby's passports are still valid for another 3 years, but would you suggest we get our daughters taken off ours ?????...I presume we should really but just checking.....

Thanks in advance..
Old Jul 20th 2002, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: visas and passports

i thought they had to have their own passports any way. shaun

Last edited by shaun/lor; Jul 20th 2002 at 12:26 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2002, 1:51 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Hi Yvonne,

Yes your kids definately need their own passports for their visas to go in. Glad to hear you have got your application submitted, hope you don't have to wait too long.

Susan
Old Jul 20th 2002, 7:48 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sue....

Hopefully I wont....but as you know we cant go till next summer anyway...at least....
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 12:20 am
Hills

yvsie wrote:

> Hi all,
    >
    > Just wondering, you know thinking ahead like you do.....
    >
    > My two younger children don't have their own passports at the moment, they are both
    > on mine and hubby's. When the visa is granted would they need to have their own at
    > that point to have the visa sticker in???? Mine and hubby's passports are still
    > valid for another 3 years, but would you suggest we get our daughters taken off
    > ours ?????...I presume we should really but just checking.....
    >
    > Thanks in advance..

There is facility on Australian visas to have more than one name on the sticker (ie
one visa sticker for several people on a passport). And by the time the passport
expire in 3 years time...well, they can have their own Australian passports by then.

A few countries still allow children on parents passports, and there are still a few
remnant old-style British passports with 'kids on parents passports'. Getting fewer
all the time though. LJ

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 4:20 am
Hills

heading downunder 2002 wrote:

> Hi Yvonne,
    >
    > Yes your kids definately need their own passports for their visas to go
    > in. Glad to hear you have got your application submitted, hope you don't have to
    > wait too long.
    >
    > Susan
    >
    > --

I don't think they do. Some countries still allow 'family' passports. Not too many
any more! UK changed a couple of years ago, and as the old passports come up for
renewal, you now have to have individual passports issued. But as Yvonne knows, there
are still some old 'family' passports around due to 10 year validities.

Australian visas are able to be issued with multiple names on the one sticker, to
allow for multiple people on the one passport. I've seen them. Not many, but I've
definitely seen 'em.

My advice to Yvonne would be to keep the current 'family' passport, and get the visa
in that. Then get out to Australia, and with a bit of luck in the timing, by the time
the UK passport (singular) expires, you'll all be eligible for Australian passports.

Both Australia and UK now only issue individual passports, and at great cost to the
family! Grumble grumble... went to get my 3 kids 'added' to their father's UK
passport earlier this year, for the minimal cost of about $20 each, only to be told
- 'don't do family passports any more, they'll each have to have their own. $100
each please'.

Avoid it for as long as you can Yvonne!

Proviso: you and the kids will always have to travel together, while you're on the
one passport.

LJ