Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visa validation Advice urgently needed

Visa validation Advice urgently needed

Old Apr 25th 2004, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Visa validation Advice urgently needed

Hi there

We are just about to book our flights to Brisbane for the 6th July. Problem is our house sale has just fallen through so we are back at square one.

My husband has Australian Citizenship, son and I have got our permanent visas which need to be validated.

Australia house have told us that we can only validate our visas if my husband is in Australia with us at the time.

QUESTION..

Can Anthony (son) and I go into Australia in July, without hubby, on an ordinary e visa and wait for him to join us (when house is sold) to validate our visas.

If the answer is yes, how to we validate once he arrives.

Many thanks

Sharon
Old Apr 25th 2004, 4:38 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: Visa validation Advice urgently needed

Originally posted by Pasquill
Hi there

We are just about to book our flights to Brisbane for the 6th July. Problem is our house sale has just fallen through so we are back at square one.

My husband has Australian Citizenship, son and I have got our permanent visas which need to be validated.

Australia house have told us that we can only validate our visas if my husband is in Australia with us at the time.

QUESTION..

Can Anthony (son) and I go into Australia in July, without hubby, on an ordinary e visa and wait for him to join us (when house is sold) to validate our visas.

If the answer is yes, how to we validate once he arrives.

Many thanks

Sharon

We thought about doing exactly that, but our visa grant letter says we cannot enter Oz without hubby, but I hadn't realised it may be possible to go under a temp visa and wait to validate....so I'm no help whatsoever sorry, but would like to know too

Jill

Old Apr 25th 2004, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Whatever you do, dont apply for any other sort of visa if you already have your residents visa. You can only hold one visa at a time, the newest visa cancels any others.

If you get an electronic visa your residents visa will be cancelled. Make sure that the travel agent doesnt automatically get them for you when you book your tickets.

Phil.
Old Apr 25th 2004, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by philj6969
Whatever you do, dont apply for any other sort of visa if you already have your residents visa. You can only hold one visa at a time, the newest visa cancels any others.

If you get an electronic visa your residents visa will be cancelled. Make sure that the travel agent doesnt automatically get them for you when you book your tickets.

Phil.
Thanks for that Phil
Old Apr 25th 2004, 10:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately, on 1 July 2002 the Australian government changed the law to provide that the ETA does not legally take effect if a more beneficial visa was held.

What Phil mentions was a real issue prior to then.

If your visa condition mentions your husband must arrive when you do, then that's the way it has to be,

I suggest you travel to Australia in July as a family, you and your son can then stay while your husband returns. He does not have to *move* to Australia at the same time.

Jeremy

Originally posted by philj6969

Phil.