Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visa, is it validated???

Visa, is it validated???

Old Jul 29th 2005, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Ninijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the rough
Default Visa, is it validated???

While booking our one way flights with Singapore airline, we requested a 20kg baggage increase. The lady said that as long as the visa had NOT been used we could claim the increased baggage allowance on check in. I said we had used the visa to enter Australia for our validation trip in May (2 months ago), as we were told we did not need a holiday visa, as we have a 136 skilled independent visa. She said as long as the visa itself stated we were entitled to live in Australia permanently and the visa in the passport had not been ripped, marked, or stamped it would be okay.

However now I am worrying about the visa! Does this mean our visa has not been activated? The visa states we had to enter Australia by the 3rd of September 2005, and thus the reason we did the validation trip as we can not get there before the 9th of September, due to a wedding.

We received the visa in our passports on the 28th January 2005

Entered Australia in May 2005 – validation trip (10 days)

We have stamps in the passport on separate pages to the visa to state when we entered in May 2005 and the visa itself does state when we received it (January 2005)

I am panicking that because the actual visa itself has not been stamped it’s not activated??? Am I being silly? So much to think about.

Please can someone put my mind at rest that everything is okay.

Big thanks
Janine
Old Jul 29th 2005, 10:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa, is it validated???

Originally Posted by Ninijon
While booking our one way flights with Singapore airline, we requested a 20kg baggage increase. The lady said that as long as the visa had NOT been used we could claim the increased baggage allowance on check in. I said we had used the visa to enter Australia for our validation trip in May (2 months ago), as we were told we did not need a holiday visa, as we have a 136 skilled independent visa. She said as long as the visa itself stated we were entitled to live in Australia permanently and the visa in the passport had not been ripped, marked, or stamped it would be okay.

However now I am worrying about the visa! Does this mean our visa has not been activated? The visa states we had to enter Australia by the 3rd of September 2005, and thus the reason we did the validation trip as we can not get there before the 9th of September, due to a wedding.

We received the visa in our passports on the 28th January 2005

Entered Australia in May 2005 – validation trip (10 days)

We have stamps in the passport on separate pages to the visa to state when we entered in May 2005 and the visa itself does state when we received it (January 2005)

I am panicking that because the actual visa itself has not been stamped it’s not activated??? Am I being silly? So much to think about.

Please can someone put my mind at rest that everything is okay.

Big thanks
Janine

DIMIA *never* stamp the actual visa label, unless they are cancelling it.

Your visa has been validated if you made first entry to Australia before the required date.

Jeremy
Old Jul 29th 2005, 10:32 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

yup -its validated.

they dont usually stamp em any more cos its all done electronically!!!

enjoy your new life!

sue
Old Jul 29th 2005, 10:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
yup -its validated.

they dont usually stamp em any more cos its all done electronically!!!

enjoy your new life!

sue
It is all done electronically, however they do stamp the passports of all non-Australian citizens (Australian passports are stamped on request).

They don't put the entry/exit stamp on the visa label, however.

Jeremy
Old Jul 29th 2005, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Ninijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the rough

Big Thanks Guys!

Silly really I know. I remember when I thought wait till we get the visa then everything will be alright, then it was the house sale, then getting a job, then the flights - does it ever stop? Every night while in bed somthing else springs to mind to worry about. Although I'm sure I am not alone.

Anyway thanks
Janine