BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa to unemployment in IT.

http://australianit.news.com.au/arti...nbv%5E,00.html
Old Mar 21st 2002, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

mxqth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa to unemployment in IT.

Well I think this is why they say "Good things come to those who wait".
Old Mar 21st 2002, 3:01 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

So, Onlyme, you have found a new way to whinge, this time by proxy, ie giving us a link to someone else's moan. You need to get more positive, old son.

Probably the reason the whinger you bring to our attention could not get a job was because he came across in interview as plain useless, despite his technical knowledge. Someone who could not, say, handle a departmental budget, understand legal or theoretical frameworks, deal with data or statistics or handle himself maturely in situations where there was more than one point of view. Someone negative. Someone most of us would prefer not to employ or work with.

Last edited by newstartnz; Mar 22nd 2002 at 4:06 am.
Old Mar 21st 2002, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

ozlife is an unknown quantity at this point

I can’t understand why people like newstartnz get on their high horse when people give some realistic impressions of life and the work situation in oz and nz. As soon as anybody says anything slightly less positive about life down under then they’re automatically branded a whinger.

This board is really useful but it’s not just the positive news that people want to read about here. I appreciate the opinions given by OnlyMe and others who sometimes tell like it really is.

I lived in Sydney for a year and a half and am very keen to get back. I spent the last 3 months of 2001 in Sydney visiting a lot of friends and family. Most of them are either in IT or Accountants and the general feedback that I got was that the market wasn’t in such a great shape. One friend is a project manager who had an extremely good track record with a number of high profile contracts back in London, yet his current contract in Sydney ends in 2 months time and he’s battling to find another one. Job searches for his role return about 25 suitable positions, whereas 2 years ago it was 10 times the amount. Even then, the 25 possibilities are very, very specific when it comes to what skills and experience the company expects – even more so than what it is stated in the advert. Companies can afford to do this because the supply exceeds the available jobs !

So … stop shooting the messengers and start coming round to the facts. Best to understand the situation now before you’re over there in NZ and find out too late that it’s not all as simple as you think.
Old Mar 21st 2002, 9:43 pm
Devnull

Say, what's going on. 3 regular posters to this newsgroup claiming to post the same
article: newstartnz, sophia and ndaltonb. Are you the same person or what?

--
devnull

"newstartnz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> So, Onlyme, you have found a new way to whinge, this time by proxy, ie giving us a
    > link to someone else's moan. You need to get more positive, old son.
    >
    > We already knew from your contribution to this thread http://britishexp-
    > ats.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=66106&perpage=15&pagenumbe r=1 that you were
    > not able to manage to live within your means (on $89,000 a year), handle the
    > family's budget or even understand the basics of the Australian tax system. And on
    > this new thread you show you do not like to deal with data or statistics and you
    > respond to evidence you do not like by saying 'rubbish'.
    >
    > Probably the reason the whinger you bring to our attention could not get a job was
    > because he came across in interview as plain useless, despite his technical
    > knowledge. Someone who could not, say, handle a departmental budget, understand
    > legal or theoretical frameworks, deal with data or statistics or handle himself
    > maturely in situations where there was more than one point of view. Someone
    > negative. Someone most of us would prefer not to employ or work with.
    >
    > Time to grow up, pal.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > sophia
    >
    > ndaltonb
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 21st 2002, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Ozlife. At least someone appreciates my comments.
newstartnz go and get *****ed !!
Old Mar 21st 2002, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's a very good Australian term for "I'm not interested in what you have to say anymore".
Old Mar 22nd 2002, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Ozlife and onlyme have made a point which is so true. Why cant people who live here post their opinions. Good or bad, they are expats after all. Read the posts on Canada, many comments good and bad are made. Rarely does it make slagging matches start over who is wrong and who is right. The immigrants there and residents seem to be far more realistic and they want the good and the bad points. All most of the people on the Aussie board want is verification that we are all living some dream life.

The prospective immigrants rave on about the lovely sunny days for example. The residents here know it is a potentially fatal sort of sun which most of us avoid. Thats right folks we AVOID it, why? because we dont want Cancer. Sorry again but very few people here are letting their kids run about in it. And that is not just in Queensland, Tasmania one of the coolest parts has a massive hole in the ozone layer. I avoid the sun like the plague, but my sister in the UK, who is 5 years older, looks 15 years younger, my oldest had her first cancers removed at 15. Wakey Wakey Folks. By the way the recommended dose of sunblock has just been upped to 30ml per adult 2-4 hourly. Thats a tube a person every two days. Yes I was staggered too. What is that Aussie saying only Mad Dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun, I'm beginning to think its true!!!

As for dancing barefoot in the moonlight I just hope nobody trod on a used needle. Keep your kiddies shoes on please.

Take a look at that Canada Board, some very realistic, intelligent, comments going back and forth why cant that be done here.
Old Mar 22nd 2002, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

Devnull.

Sophia is my wife and I can confirm that she isn't newstartnz or anybody else on this newsgroup.

By the way, Dotty, you are entitled to hold and express your opinions as you wish but can you stop going on about needles all the time ?
Old Mar 22nd 2002, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

mxqth is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is a forum for British guys, but please let me tell a few things.
I will make a compare my life here, in east-Europe, and the life I think I will have in Australia (if will get that damn visa!).
My family income is 300-350AUD/month. No matter what I will do in Australia it will be more (and I am prepared to shovel if necessary athough here I work in reaserch). Note that the price for food is about the same here and in Australia (for ex. a kilo of pork is 8-12 AUD, a bean can is approx 1 AUD, a 2 l bottle of Coca Cola is 1.5 AUD.)
Kid allowance is here 7 (seven) AUD/month. I don’t know how much it is in Australia but most likely is more.
There is a big hole in ozone layer in Australia and a great risk of skin cancer also poisonous snakes, spiders etc.. Well, here we have the Cernobil, petrol with led, tap water infested with Lamblia eggs, and a bunch of corrupted and incompetent doctors.
I don’t think it is worth to continue. I will jump to the conclusion.
Dear British applicants, stop moaning. If you don’t like it stay home. Don’t worry, we east-Europeans will fill in the gap. We are also trained; most of us speak very well English and are very motivated and willing to integrate in the Australian community. For most of us, the BIG goal of our lives is to offer our children a decent life and a good education. And as far as I know, the majority of the past applicants succeeded.
Old Mar 22nd 2002, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

devnull....my husbands right, I am most certainly not newstartnz (I'm off home to Oz actually!) and I am not ndalton either.

whilst I am sure that they are very nice people, I would just like to say that I have absolutely no interest in the IT job market, I know very little about it (that is my husbands field) so I do not have an opinion on the matter and I wouldn't be so silly as to try 'cos I would just get blown out of the water by those who know better.

And Dotty, you don't need to tell me twice about the potential for cancer, however it doesn't really matter where you live in the world it can still happen. I was in the UK and 8 months pregnant when I got diagnosed with Breast Cancer....

And I think mxqth has got his/her priorities right....Australian certainly can't be any worse than where they are right now.

love sophia x

Last edited by sophia; Mar 22nd 2002 at 8:12 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2002, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Gareth, it was ment to be taken lightheartedly , obviously people in Austalia do not really dance in the moonlight, barefoot, naked or otherwise, unless they are into witchcraft or have just eaten some magic mushrooms, which I will probably soon no doubt have pointed out to me are much bigger, cleaner, happier and sunnier that the UK version.
Old Mar 22nd 2002, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Blimey mate I just looked up mushrooms. The aussie mushroom Is not only bigger its smarter, it can get you higher than any grey dreary old Uk Mushroom, its got a much sunnier colour, its so cheap its almost free. It grows in cow patts, which are of course much bigger in Australia, cow patts come from cows bottoms which are much bigger than cows bottoms in the Uk, and of course Aussie cows do much bigger dumps than Uk cows and the dumps are a much sunnier colour under all that blue sky, the cows all run around in the sunshine, much happier because they all have their own pool in their detached field with its own ensuite to do the big dumps to grow the big mushrooms. The cows all started to eat the big aussie muchrooms and because there is so little crime here they all moved to Sydney and got jobs in IT with much bigger computers than in the UK and I know its true because well have you ever seen a cow driving a Taxi or stacking shelves in Tescos? See I told you so> Now I'm just off to dance naked in the moonlight, we all do that here especially after the big aussie BBq of magic mushrooms, every Friday night thousands of aussies leave their Friday night footie on TV and whirl their perfect tanned bodies across the white pure sands and the blue blue water of bondi beach. Ah Aussie dreams, so sweet a land so far away it seems like heaven, pass the mushrooms please.

(For those who want to dispute the size of the cows bottoms or the colour of the patts, please note this was a lighthearted view of the er Perfect Land). Oh poo I just trod in a cow patt, but never mind it smells just like roses because, yes you guessed it its Aussie and we have no Poo here. Love dottyXXX
Old Mar 22nd 2002, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Dotty, what was that? A pre-emptive strike?

You're barking love!

I don't care tho, 'cos it made me laugh!! I'm sure everything is just like that too!!

sophia x
Old Mar 23rd 2002, 7:26 am
Tim S

>So, Onlyme, you have found a new way to whinge, this time by proxy, ie giving us a
    >link to someone else's moan. You need to get more positive, old son.
    >
    >We already knew from your contribution to this thread http://britishexp-
    >ats.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=66106&perpage=15&pagenumbe r=1 that you were
    >not able to manage to live within your means (on $89,000 a year), handle the
    >family's budget or even understand the basics of the Australian tax system. And on
    >this new thread you show you do not like to deal with data or statistics and you
    >respond to evidence you do not like by saying 'rubbish'.

I'm not taking sides with this issue but I think that what's out there is not as
simple as the statistics would make us believe. For one thing, I'm often unclear on
their collection methods and definitions. For example, I am told that 80% of Aussie
uni graduates find a job within 4 months. Is that good news?

For one thing, with stats like that, I'd like to know:
1. Whether casual/part-time job counts as a "job" or "half a job"
2. If you have a PhD in Compuetr Science and work at a bakery, does it still count as
a "job" and if so, why?
3. For those who are still unemployed, is there more detailed statistics about what's
their situation? Eg, are they often members of a particular race? Or, they happen
to own the wrong pieces of paper?

For one thing, graduates who just finish from an Aussie uni but are having their PR
application processed are at a huge disadvantage. Government permanent positions only
hire citizens, and often they won't even hire on contracts because "Well your PR visa
might not be granted."

Even many private companies state, "Unrestricted work visa is not good enough. You
need PR." Now I'd understand if this was government, but for private companies, this
is bullshit. In the US, this discrimination would not be permitted; that is, if two
people have the right to work, you can't discriminate on the basis of their visa.

Don't judge even the whingers too quickly, because you don't know if they have a
valid complaint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.