Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visa sticker in London - Postal Strikes?

Visa sticker in London - Postal Strikes?

Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road
Default Visa sticker in London - Postal Strikes?

Hey guys
I need to have the sticker put in London AHC but have been told to post it ...i read in a few posts that we cant go to AHC in person but due to this stikes i may not have time to sort it before we fly off ( cutting it a bit fine)
any experiences of going to Australain High Commision in London or posting and receiving times? I have tried to call them but no answer ( am I surprised?) Please help!!!!!!!11
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

How long have you got before you leave?

I sent mine (I live in London) it took 3 days to turn it around and get back to me. (Before the strikes)

Post is starting to move here now, as your going to use special delivery I think there is every chance you can get it back within the week - does that give you enough time?

Sorry I can't help you with info on going in to get the stamps.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by louH
How long have you got before you leave?

I sent mine (I live in London) it took 3 days to turn it around and get back to me. (Before the strikes)

Post is starting to move here now, as your going to use special delivery I think there is every chance you can get it back within the week - does that give you enough time?

Sorry I can't help you with info on going in to get the stamps.

Thanks for that...very helpful..we are going in aboutjust over three weeks but am getting married in London in just over 2 weeks ....aaaahahh as if i havent got enough to do !!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Plenty of time! (if my experience is typical)

Forgot to say I had a weekend away planned when I sent in my passport in, I sent a email to my case officer letting him know I was going away and was really keen to get the passport back - I'm not sure this made any impact on the process but you could maybe mention your flights are booked just so your case officer knows your a bit limited on time.

Good luck with the wedding (I've been organising my own wedding as well as selling up and arranging for the move to Oz - its a lot to deal with in one hit)
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by louH
Plenty of time! (if my experience is typical)

Forgot to say I had a weekend away planned when I sent in my passport in, I sent a email to my case officer letting him know I was going away and was really keen to get the passport back - I'm not sure this made any impact on the process but you could maybe mention your flights are booked just so your case officer knows your a bit limited on time.

Good luck with the wedding (I've been organising my own wedding as well as selling up and arranging for the move to Oz - its a lot to deal with in one hit)

yes its mayhem!!!!!!! and in our case i have family coming from allover the world for it and as usual the groom is too relaxed to worry about much!!!!!!! and the hubby to be still hasnt got his passport back from the home office...etc etc etc
Old Nov 6th 2003, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a similar prob with postal strikes! Good luck
Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Barbara 2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa sticker in London - Postal Strikes?

Originally posted by salonit
Hey guys
I need to have the sticker put in London AHC but have been told to post it ...i read in a few posts that we cant go to AHC in person but due to this stikes i may not have time to sort it before we fly off ( cutting it a bit fine)
any experiences of going to Australain High Commision in London or posting and receiving times? I have tried to call them but no answer ( am I surprised?) Please help!!!!!!!11

I was worried about the postal strike too.
I turned up at Oz house this morning with my visa letters and passport. I said to the women at reception that I would like to hand in my documents due to the postal strike affecting our area. She then asked me if I wanted to collect them on Monday?
I nearly collapsed!
Well okay- I was pleasantly surprised - to say collapsed is a bit dramatic! LOL!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:36 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys
I had read too that they wouldn't do the visas "in person" but a couple of months ago we went up to AHC and had retirement visas in our passports inside 45 minutes. Whether it's the same for all categories I wouldn't know, but it's certainly not a blanket ban.

If you don't trust the post, use UPS - it costs, but you do have the compensatiion of being able to track each stage of the transport of the documents on-line!

Good luck.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks Barbara and Rog,
Might do the UPS as live in Manchester so cant get to London easily...thnx for replys
Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

graham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura about

posted our passports to our consultants two weeks ago today.
Our consultant phoned today to say she had received them back fron the AHC today and we should have them by monday.

So with the postal strikes taken into account about 2 week turnaround for people using a consultant.
I would guess 1.5 weeks for people not using a consultant.

Hope this helps someone.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

We got ours back last Wednesday,slight delay caused by postal strikes so took just over 2 weeks to be sent back.

Its such a relief when they are back in your possession complete with visa evidence.

Diane

BTW salonit r u going over to saty permanent or are you just going over for your honeymoon and to validate at same time?
Old Nov 7th 2003, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by dibrucewillis
We got ours back last Wednesday,slight delay caused by postal strikes so took just over 2 weeks to be sent back.

Its such a relief when they are back in your possession complete with visa evidence.

Diane

BTW salonit r u going over to saty permanent or are you just going over for your honeymoon and to validate at same time?

Am going to Perth dec after honeymoon for reccie mission only..then back to enjoy england for 12-18 months to packup then finally off to oz in 2005 ...how about u Diane....we must do a Mancunian Meet?? wot do u think!!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah a mancunian meet sounds a great idea

We were hoping to be in perth for beginning of February but have to sell the house first.
Had an estate agent around today who valued it 5k more than what they did in April.
I'm not so sure about that but I suppose we can give it a go

We have to validate by June 04
Hopefully the house will have sold by then but who knows?

Good luck with the wedding plans.Its amazing how it all falls into place on the day.
Just enjoy, it will be one of the best days in your life.Mine was and that was 12 years ago.
Oooooh I sound all soppy now,don't I?

Best of luck
Diane

Am going to Perth dec after honeymoon for reccie mission only..then back to enjoy england for 12-18 months to packup then finally off to oz in 2005 ...how about u Diane....we must do a Mancunian Meet?? wot do u think!!