Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visa status on CV

Visa status on CV

Old Dec 27th 2006, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa status on CV

If you have work history on your CV and it is not Australian work then it will be obvious to anyone that you're not a native. Therefore it would be much safer to declare that you have full right to work - don't want them making assumptions and chucking it in the bin.
I plan to put something like: Nationality- British (Australian PR)
Although will they understand PR? This is clearly something I need to think about as well!
Old Dec 27th 2006, 9:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
If you have work history on your CV and it is not Australian work then it will be obvious to anyone that you're not a native. Therefore it would be much safer to declare that you have full right to work - don't want them making assumptions and chucking it in the bin.
I plan to put something like: Nationality- British (Australian PR)
Although will they understand PR? This is clearly something I need to think about as well!
Most employers seem to understand "permanent residency" so put it in full to be sure.They just struggle with "temporary leading to permanent...."
Old Dec 27th 2006, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dried Graze
I'm Welsh, so it won't.
Ah well then Taffy b***** will cover it
Old Dec 28th 2006, 1:13 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
One thing to be careful of is the fact that many employers don't know much about the individual visa types - can be a problem for long term temp visa holders - 457 for example, or temp spouse visas. If you have PR, I wouldn't hesitate about saying so, straight out, as employers can identify with that. If its a temp visa though they may be more reluctant to hire you - to a lot of employers, temporary means short-term, here today, gone tomorrow. Best to hedge your bets with something like "I have full work rights within Australia".
Fair points, the 'Temp' word is probably best avoided, how about:

"I have full work rights within Australia, a Ute and a Titan."
Old Dec 28th 2006, 1:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Fair points, the 'Temp' word is probably best avoided, how about:

"I have full work rights within Australia, a Ute and a Titan."
That should cover it nicely!
Old Dec 28th 2006, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

dade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nice

I think if you have full working rights then it can only be in your favour to include your status. Given that your work history is British you might be excluded from interviews simply because it's unclear whether you have work rights or not. I would just put:

VISA STATUS: Permanent Resident

VISA STATUS: Full work permit

or whichever is applicable to you. Sorry I don't really know what a 457 visa is. I would think most potential empoyers won't know either so don't use the techinical name but make it as easy to understand as possible. All they want to know is that you are allowed to work.