Reload this Page >

Visa status on CV

Visa status on CV

Old Dec 27th 2006, 1:43 am
Account Closed

Dried Graze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa status on CV

Originally Posted by gedge
i'd beg to differ... do you have a specific requirements of what shouldn't be included?
in most job ads i've looked at lately there is a stated requirement for correct visa status for applicants
by covering this on your resume you remove the need for an employer/agent to check
imo it's beneficial to include it
This is what I was thinking. The job states that Visa requirements must be met and although it might be a given that anyone who applies meets the prerequisites, I don't want them to look at nationality and work history and wonder. Given the volume of applications, rather than wasting time checking the details, they are more likely to bin it and move on.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 1:48 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Dried Graze
This is what I was thinking. The job states that Visa requirements must be met and although it might be a given that anyone who applies meets the prerequisites, I don't want them to look at nationality and work history and wonder. Given the volume of applications, rather than wasting time checking the details, they are more likely to bin it and move on.
yep... take the assumption out of the picture if it could make the difference between the yes and no pile
Old Dec 27th 2006, 1:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who works at an employment agency, I can offer you the advice to put your visa details on your CV. The resumes that come into our office from people with work experience only in other countries without visa details tend to get passed over right from the get go. We don't generally tend to bother ringing up to see if you have the right to work at the job.
State that you have full work rights and like Wendy said, if you have an Australian driving licence put that down as well. Make it part of your personal info. Something like: Name, Address, Phone number, Email address, Visa details.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 2:08 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gedge
i'd beg to differ... do you have a specific requirements of what shouldn't be included?
in most job ads i've looked at lately there is a stated requirement for correct visa status for applicants
by covering this on your resume you remove the need for an employer/agent to check
imo it's beneficial to include it
I beg to differ at your beg to differ.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 2:15 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by rossifumi
let's call the whole thing off
Old Dec 27th 2006, 2:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Should it not read..

I beg to differ with your beg to differ?

Last edited by Dried Graze; Dec 27th 2006 at 2:27 am.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 2:36 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Should it not read..

I beg to differ with your beg to differ?
No probably...

I beg to differ with your beg to difference.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:15 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
Exactly, a 19 year old would probably need to fill up space as she wouldn't have much experience to draw from

I'd say only put things down that are relevant to the job you are applying for as you only have a few seconds to make an impression with a CV.
Well, not much work experience anyway

I agree about keeping the CV lean (and ideally tailored for each application) but I'd say visa status should be disclosed for non-citizens, especially for jobs in the Public Service (advice from my bureaucratic bean-counting Aussie wife ...).

Also it is worth calling the contact direct and asking some questions before wasting time on an application (especially through the lengthly Public Service recruitment process ... "Selection Criteria", grrrr ...):

1) Is the advertised role a new post? (Some adverts are just going through the procedural motions in order to get a preferred internal candidate in)

2) Exactly what visa do they require? (Some employers will pass over non-citizens even if they have work rights)
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Well, not much work experience anyway

I agree about keeping the CV lean (and ideally tailored for each application) but I'd say visa status should be disclosed for non-citizens, especially for jobs in the Public Service (advice from my bureaucratic bean-counting Aussie wife ...).

Also it is worth calling the contact direct and asking some questions before wasting time on an application (especially through the lengthly Public Service recruitment process ... "Selection Criteria", grrrr ...):

1) Is the advertised role a new post? (Some adverts are just going through the procedural motions in order to get a preferred internal candidate in)

2) Exactly what visa do they require? (Some employers will pass over non-citizens even if they have work rights)
One thing to be careful of is the fact that many employers don't know much about the individual visa types - can be a problem for long term temp visa holders - 457 for example, or temp spouse visas. If you have PR, I wouldn't hesitate about saying so, straight out, as employers can identify with that. If its a temp visa though they may be more reluctant to hire you - to a lot of employers, temporary means short-term, here today, gone tomorrow. Best to hedge your bets with something like "I have full work rights within Australia".
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

I would say DONT put your visa status on the resume, keep it specific to skills etc. However, of course if you only have UK experience and education that will be obvious so I would suggest mentioning it in your cover letter.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 5:15 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Welsh, so it won't.
I thought it was Britain that colonised Australia? I'm guessing that Welsh people also got sent down for many a transgression against the local livestock, back in those days?

This would have made Welsh people POM's....N'est pas?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poms#Pommy
Old Dec 27th 2006, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
One thing to be careful of is the fact that many employers don't know much about the individual visa types - can be a problem for long term temp visa holders - 457 for example, or temp spouse visas. If you have PR, I wouldn't hesitate about saying so, straight out, as employers can identify with that. If its a temp visa though they may be more reluctant to hire you - to a lot of employers, temporary means short-term, here today, gone tomorrow. Best to hedge your bets with something like "I have full work rights within Australia".

Yep, that's what I thought too.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 5:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I thought it was Britain that colonised Australia? I'm guessing that Welsh people also got sent down for many a transgression against the local livestock, back in those days?

This would have made Welsh people POM's....N'est pas?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poms#Pommy
The precise origins of the term in question, are not clear but is widely accepted as meaning English rather than British. That said, being as there is a distinct lack of Englishers in my local, I do tend to bear the brunt of most light-hearted anti-English banter and accept it in the spirit it's given.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 6:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The precise origins of the term in question, are not clear but is widely accepted as meaning English rather than British. That said, being as there is a distinct lack of Englishers in my local, I do tend to bear the brunt of most light-hearted anti-English banter and accept it in the spirit it's given.
There were certainly Welsh people amongst the original convicts, and as there are quite a few Aussies that can't identify a Welsh accent, in my experience the Aussies just use it to refer to the Brits in general.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 8:57 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Visa status on CV

Originally Posted by Dorothy
As someone who works at an employment agency, I can offer you the advice to put your visa details on your CV. The resumes that come into our office from people with work experience only in other countries without visa details tend to get passed over right from the get go. We don't generally tend to bother ringing up to see if you have the right to work at the job.
State that you have full work rights and like Wendy said, if you have an Australian driving licence put that down as well. Make it part of your personal info. Something like: Name, Address, Phone number, Email address, Visa details.
Of the employment agents I have met so far, only one of them has asked me, and then in a sort of "embarrassing question - don't want to really ask this but I have to" sort of way.

I would agree - saying you have full work rights in Australia (add the word indefinite if you think it will help).

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.