Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visa revoked?????

Visa revoked?????

Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visa revoked?????

Interested to hear opinions on this!

I recently spoke to my brother about myself and my family being granted permanent resident visas for OZ.

He told me of a colleague at his work (police officer) who had secured a visa and was ready to move to OZ (don't know which type of visa)- had sold their house and everything - and then the visa was revoked!! He doesn't know all the details but believes the colleague said it was something to do with the fact that when they applied Police Officers were sought after and now since the recession they are no longer needed so much as local people have taken up the posts.

As I say we don't know the full story but I've never heard of this happening before and wondered if anyone on here has heard of this??
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa revoked?????

Originally Posted by scotsista
Interested to hear opinions on this!

I recently spoke to my brother about myself and my family being granted permanent resident visas for OZ.

He told me of a colleague at his work (police officer) who had secured a visa and was ready to move to OZ (don't know which type of visa)- had sold their house and everything - and then the visa was revoked!! He doesn't know all the details but believes the colleague said it was something to do with the fact that when they applied Police Officers were sought after and now since the recession they are no longer needed so much as local people have taken up the posts.

As I say we don't know the full story but I've never heard of this happening before and wondered if anyone on here has heard of this??
If the offer of sponsorship was withdrawn, and the visa was originally granted on the grounds of being sponsored, then yes, its quite possible. Not very common though, and not something to panic over without speaking to the person concerned and knowing ALL the details

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 20th 2010 at 11:51 am.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't quote me on this, but unless things have changed drastically in the past few years (they could well have!?), I'm pretty sure they won't revoke a PR visa once it has been granted just because the job is no longer on the list.

Unless the visa hasn't actually been granted and the sponsor for a PR visa removed their support for the application.

Or a temporary visa maybe, or a PR visa where they find that you haven't been truthful perhaps. In the 6 years I've been frequenting this board, other boards, official visa sites and talking to other migrants I don't think I've ever heard of anyone's granted visa being revoked just because the in demand list changed.

If they hadn't actually applied yet, then yes it would definitely affect their application.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:11 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Don't quote me on this, but unless things have changed drastically in the past few years (they could well have!?), I'm pretty sure they won't revoke a PR visa once it has been granted just because the job is no longer on the list.

Unless the visa hasn't actually been granted and the sponsor for a PR visa removed their support for the application.

Or a temporary visa maybe, or a PR visa where they find that you haven't been truthful perhaps. In the 6 years I've been frequenting this board, other boards, official visa sites and talking to other migrants I don't think I've ever heard of anyone's granted visa being revoked just because the in demand list changed.

If they hadn't actually applied yet, then yes it would definitely affect their application.
Mmm its unlikely, though I think I've heard of it happening before a visa was validated as the sponsorship fell through. I'm inclined to think like you, more likely its not actually been granted. More common with temp visas I would imagine, we certainly had one of those on BE in the recent past, the job no longer existed cos the company was in trouble or something like that, think that was a 457.......
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Mmm its unlikely, though I think I've heard of it happening before a visa was validated as the sponsorship fell through. I'm inclined to think like you, more likely its not actually been granted. More common with temp visas I would imagine, we certainly had one of those on BE in the recent past, the job no longer existed cos the company was in trouble or something like that, think that was a 457.......
Yeah, I can see it with a temporary visa or a PR one that hasn't actually been granted, but not with a PR that had been granted.

I don't think they can do it with PR unless it's been fraudulently obtained. I would think anyway
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:56 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yeah, I can see it with a temporary visa or a PR one that hasn't actually been granted, but not with a PR that had been granted.

I don't think they can do it with PR unless it's been fraudulently obtained. I would think anyway
I'm thinking now that maybe its something like a 457 with the intention of sponsoring for PR onshore, something like that? A lot of people think they have a PR visa when they are only on the first step - be interesting to know the background wouldn't it, though I doubt we ever will......
Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I think this may have been in WA about 18 months ago. The WA police were sponsoring dozens (possibly hundreds) of UK (and Irish) police on permanent residence visa's. I think 3/4 of the 2008 years intake at the police academy came this way.

Then the global slowdown happened and everyone stopped wanting to be a toilet cleaner on the mine sites and took a paycut to get a safer (relatively) job back in town. The final intake was canceled after they'd been offered the job. But they were told that nothing was certain till they got here but some (in fact quite a lot) had already sold up in anticipation of the new job.

And why wouldn't they? most had friends who'd made the move without a hitch.

I couldn't believe they were given PR visa's. I had a bit of an argument with an Irish Copper at a party who swore blind he'd got PR from day one and I said it must be 457 but he was right.

The thing that I found hard to believe if they'd been given PR visa's as they landed was that they were free to take up any job they wanted and not even turn up for the police job. I mentioned this to my Irish mate and he said one recruit didn't turn up at the acadamy as he'd got a job on a minesite instead. Probably cleaning toilets.

Keel
Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:12 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel
I think this may have been in WA about 18 months ago. The WA police were sponsoring dozens (possibly hundreds) of UK (and Irish) police on permanent residence visa's. I think 3/4 of the 2008 years intake at the police academy came this way.

Then the global slowdown happened and everyone stopped wanting to be a toilet cleaner on the mine sites and took a paycut to get a safer (relatively) job back in town. The final intake was canceled after they'd been offered the job. But they were told that nothing was certain till they got here but some (in fact quite a lot) had already sold up in anticipation of the new job.

I couldn't believe they were given PR visa's. I had a bit of an argument with an Irish Copper at a party who swore blind he'd got PR from day one and I said it must be 457 but he was right.

The thing that I found hard to believe if they'd been given PR visa's as they landed was that they were free to take up any job they wanted and not even turn up for the police job. I mentioned this to my Irish mate and he said one recruit didn't turn up at the acadamy as he'd got a job on a minesite instead. Probably cleaning toilets.

Keel
I find this very interesting. I'd heard this but assumed I'd got it wrong. Or someone had. I bumped into a couple about 3 years ago (while I was still on temp spouse visa) and was rabbitting on about the process bla bla and asked them how they were going. Then they told me that they were PR from the word go. Their skills are certainly in demand. However, neither of them are doing jobs anything like related to their skills. Seems odd. Maybe the new rules have changed all that?

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Sep 20th 2010 at 2:51 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:10 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I find this very interesting. I'd heard this but assumed I'd got it wrong. Or someone had. I bumped into a couple about 3 years ago (while I was still on temp spouse visa) and was rabbitting on about the process bla bla and asked them how they were going. Then they told me that they were PR from the word go. Their skills are certainly in demand. However, neither of them are doing jobs anything like related to their skills. Seems odd. Maybe the new rules have changed all that?
Depends what PR visa they were on. if you come on a 176 State Sponsored, I THINK I'm right in saying that although you have to be on the list oif required skills for the State, once you are here you don't have to work in that skill but can do whatever job you like - similar to 175 - as long as its in the State that sponsored you. Even with some of the Employer Sponsored PR visas, once you are here there is nothing except a moral obligation tying you to that employer as far as DIAC is concerned (though there may be a contract between you and the employer, that's a different matter) so you can leave and go to work for someone else.

On a 175 there is no obligation at all. Once you have proved your skills and are here on a PR visa, you can sit on the sofa and watch TV for the rest of your life if you want to. No compulsion to work at all, never mind no need to work using the skills on which you qualified for the visa.
Hence doctors and other highly skilled professionals who qualify for a 175, then get here and can't find a job, so settle for driving a taxi......

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 20th 2010 at 3:12 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Keel

They had to offer PR from the off for police officers, as this is a minimum requirement in order to be employed as such.
I do agree however, that it was strange that they did not issue the proviso that you had to work for a minimum period ie 2 years, as with the South Australia Police.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Depends what PR visa they were on. if you come on a 176 State Sponsored, I THINK I'm right in saying that although you have to be on the list oif required skills for the State, once you are here you don't have to work in that skill but can do whatever job you like - ......
Yes, you are right as we are on 176 Family sponsored and my husband can do whatever job he chooses when we arrive - which we both find very strange, but true!

Thanks for all your replies - that makes sense now!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:16 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

it was an rsms visa that cops were offered and Wapol didn't include the 2 yr proviso that Sapol did so they made a big mistake there.
However what the op was talking about is mentioned on another thread on another forum.
Wapol had officers that went through all of the tests etc and meds and were given an offer of employment BUT for their own personal reasons, selling houses, partner becoming pregnant etc they did not apply for the visa, preffering to delay it until they were ready.
At some stage Wapol either revoked the offer of employment or cancelled the DIAC nomination. This could have been due to a number of reasons, which i have no idea.

That's the basic gist of it.

As far as i am aware no-one had their visa cancelled if they were booked on a course unless of course they told wapol thanks but no thanks
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:32 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Keel
The other thing that happened with this saga is that a lot of coppers quit the police force as soon as they arrived (or soon after) as they had been granted PR and therefore no obligation to serve if they really didn't want to.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
They had to offer PR from the off for police officers, as this is a minimum requirement in order to be employed as such.
I do agree however, that it was strange that they did not issue the proviso that you had to work for a minimum period ie 2 years, as with the South Australia Police.
Who's "they"?

RSMS visas (subclass 119/857) always have the 2 year employment restriction, but if your employer decides after arrival that you're not needed, you're a free agent. In principle, anyway - you need to document it's your employer's fault, not yours.

DIAC do have the right to cancel a permanent employer sponsored visa if the sponsorship is withdrawn before the visa is validated. Although this might be harsh if the visa holder has sold house, etc, in anticipation of a move. (DIAC tell people not to do this before visa is validated).
Old Sep 21st 2010, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Who's "they"?

RSMS visas (subclass 119/857) always have the 2 year employment restriction, but if your employer decides after arrival that you're not needed, you're a free agent. In principle, anyway - you need to document it's your employer's fault, not yours.

DIAC do have the right to cancel a permanent employer sponsored visa if the sponsorship is withdrawn before the visa is validated. Although this might be harsh if the visa holder has sold house, etc, in anticipation of a move. (DIAC tell people not to do this before visa is validated).

WAPol cops were not offered RSMS visas, but subclass 120, thus no 2 year requirement or restrictions to certain regional areas.
I think this was a mistake on behalf of WAPol, as far as the 2 year period was concerned anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.