Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visa refused after granted ?

Visa refused after granted ?

Old Sep 10th 2005, 3:59 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa refused after granted ?

Originally Posted by banjo
yes....ignorance prevails here too.....please someone explain what a 'chav' is.
Wikipedia has the answer to that one

Origin

For a full discussion of the etymologies of chav and charva, see Wiktionary.
The word chav is commonly thought to be from the mid-19th century Romany words chavi, meaning "delinquent youth", "chavo", meaning child and possibly "charver", meaning prostitute. Following an article in The Independent it has been suggested that it comes from a nickname used for people from various towns in the UK, including Chatham and Cheltenham in conjunction with the class label Average, but this is almost certainly incorrect.
It is sometimes mockingly redefined as one of several backronyms, including "Council Housed And Violent", "Council Housed And Vile", "Council House Assault & Violence", "Council House Associated Vermin", "Council House Adolescent Violence" and "Council House Adidas Victim" — although there is no etymological basis for these terms. (In the large majority of cases, suggested derivations of words from acronyms are erroneous).
It is also said that the word was used in Edinburgh, Scotland, in the early 1990s, leading to widespread bemusement on the part of Edinburghers at the sudden popularity of the term in southeast England. If this is true then this is serious evidence for a Romany origin, since Edinburgh slang includes a significant number of such words, since there used to be a large Romany encampment on the outskirts of the city. However, if it is of Latinate origin, then it may have entered English through Polari.
The slang word chav was used in Chatham during the early 1990s (and possibly earlier than this), as well as the word 'Pikey', to refer to someone who was or had a Traveller appearence. The meaning has changed over the last 10 to 15 years, especially since it has been picked up by the media. People who would have not appreciated being called Chav 10 years ago, now seem to aspire to the label. Chav is no longer synonymous with 'Pikey', but describes a separate subculture.
Faversham is also home to the 'FaverChaver' and is sometimes nicknamed 'Chaversham'.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 4:18 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Thumbs down Re: Visa refused after granted ?

I had a raw egg thrown at my car once, by a car travelling in the opposite direction. I was doing the speed limit (60kmph) and 'assume' that the other car was too. It really scared me as I knew not what had hit me and shook like a leaf most of the way home. When I got home I found the remain of raw egg and little pieces of shell. I was astounded to see the damage caused by the shell - it had taken the paint off in several places, right down to bare, shiny metal. I was SO glad that it hadn't come through my open window.

So, for those who say, "it was just an egg", I say, unless you've experienced it, you have no idea what a nasty effect it has, both on car AND driver.

Old Sep 10th 2005, 5:14 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

Originally Posted by BESWETAJ
Blimey mate get things into perspective !!! It was an EGG ! Did it hurt you !!! Doesn't sound like you are calm to me, plenty of use with the old expletives - here's the question is Australia ready for you !!!

The Poet
Guessing you dont own a car then.. ;-)
Old Sep 10th 2005, 5:18 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

www.chavscum.co.uk
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Carkedit
Hysterical!!! I loved name your chav baby! I could offend a few people on here with the names it produced!! and I didn't know the UK had so many celebrity chavs!!